Jack Vance was a prophet!

Touchscreen technology was around for a really long time, but early adoption in computers stalled out because of Gorilla Arm Syndrome. It wasn't until smart phones came out that it really took off. It was a very specific need that turned the tech from a gimmick to commonplace. Even things like the iPod didn't make it happen.

We're still looking for the application that makes AR/VR a household tech. I can't tell you what that's going to be. But I can tell you a lot things that won't be it. TTRPGs, driving, and tv/movie watching are at the top of the list.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I already posted elsewhere here on ENW, but to me the killer app that I might buy AR glasses for (but not for $3500) would be a Pokemon Go like game, but a fantasy game - for example D&D. Where instead of collecting Pokemon, instead you travel around in "real life" but fight monsters and try to level up your character. You can also via your glasses look at the world around you and AI will overlay a "fantasy" look to everyday locations. Finally, just thought of this, when you are in an establishment (coffee house, restaurant, library, whatever), you may be approached by an NPC in your app who might give you a quest...

Now I just need ~US$100M or so to get this off the ground

MarkB

Legend
I already posted elsewhere here on ENW, but to me the killer app that I might buy AR glasses for (but not for $3500) would be a Pokemon Go like game, but a fantasy game - for example D&D. Where instead of collecting Pokemon, instead you travel around in "real life" but fight monsters and try to level up your character. You can also via your glasses look at the world around you and AI will overlay a "fantasy" look to everyday locations. Finally, just thought of this, when you are in an establishment (coffee house, restaurant, library, whatever), you may be approached by an NPC in your app who might give you a quest...

Now I just need ~US$100M or so to get this off the ground
Related, you could use it to really liven up LARPing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Many things predicted by science fiction writers are coming to pass.

The trouble is, a lot of that science fiction was intended as warning, not a blueprint.
dont-create-the-torment-nexus-v0-fhcnyg7r38d81.jpg

Remove ads