• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Jaquaying the dungeon - a term to avoid

I was never gonna stop, I did think it was weird how it missed the s. It's not even really something that comes up much in my day-to-day dnd life, only shows up in places like ENworld. I'm kind of curious if I brought it up with my game groups if they'd have any idea what I was talking about.

Thinking about it, I think the original blog post was the first time I'd even heard of Jenna Jaquays.
Is it weird? I don't think it is. Putting the "S" in makes the word flow less and sound a little awkward. My take is when he put the 's' in at Jennel's request, he didn't like how it sounded so rather than keep it as (since Jennel didn't want that) he changed the name.

I think people are going on wild flights of fancy with accusations of transphobia, clear case of "make up a guy and then get angry at him."

grankless

Adventurer
Is it weird? I don't think it is. Putting the "S" in makes the word flow less and sound a little awkward. My take is when he put the 's' in at Jennel's request, he didn't like how it sounded so rather than keep it as (since Jennel didn't want that) he changed the name.

I think people are going on wild flights of fancy with accusations of transphobia, clear case of "make up a guy and then get angry at him."
There's no "making up" here. She asked him to spell her name correctly, he refused, she asked him to use her real first name, he spends 6 years not doing so and then whines about how he's doing her a favor by using her deadname?

If he's not transphobic, then he's a selfish tool.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I don't think anybody can (rightfully) accuse Alexander of out and out transphobia or bigotry of any kind, as acerbic as he can be he's nearly always been on the side of social justice
Yes, but people can also have blind spots. Or, less charitably and in the generic, have political views that are performative and insincere, in whole or in part.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yes, but people can also have blind spots. Or, less charitably and in the generic, have political views that are performative and insincere, in whole or in part.
Absolutely. To hold those views in 2016 can be easily seen as the former, an understandable but regretable example of simply being ignorant about other people's experiences. To absorb all of the feedback for nearly eight years and still stand by those views? Now we're veering into the latter.

We'll see where it goes from here.

Well no, it would be against the rules of this forum.

But if you look at how he managed to get himself banned from other forums....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
If you think accusing someone of transphobia or bigotry is against the rules of the forum (I'm sure it is, and if it isn't, it should be!), why would you go ahead and do that exact thing in your very next sentence?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Well no, it would be against the rules of this forum.

But if you look at how he managed to get himself banned from other forums....

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
First off, I would really hope that pointing out transphobia in a public figure would not be against the rules of this forum. We shouldn't accuse other posters; that's what reporting is for.

Secondly, he got himself banned from forums for being an acerbic naughty word-hole, which is absolutely true.

Third, outside of refusing for multiple years to update his website, he has consistently referred to Jennell by her proper name and pronouns, and has appropriately called out other people for their transphobia (especially the pushback he got from saying okay when she finally reached out to him).

He's not a transphobe, full stop. But, not being a transphobe does not mean that you cannot be, at times, transphobic, and Justin certainly has been (and is currently doubling down on it). He's still not denying Jennell's identity. He's not parroting the openly transphobic garbage that suffuses the fetid swamps of Twitter. But he's handled this poorly, back in the day, and he's handling it poorly now.

Remove ads