JA's upcoming game - The Borderland Keep

Rhun

First Post
I see Edoryan building something like (the attached) to serve as his manor. It should be fairly inexpensive, and not take more than a few months to build. This would be a starting point, of course...given time and money, I envision the wood and and timber structures being replaced by stone.

As far as farmers and such go, it makes sense to rent out plots. 600 acres can be split into 20-25 yardlands. A yardland (24-30 acres) was about the ideal size for a prosperous medieval farm.

-

Attachments

• manor.JPG
    manor.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 75

Kaodi

Hero
That is probably a fairly sensible setup, though the specifics may vary. For instance, an additional battle spire of doom attached to the house for guaranteed access to the ideal spellcasting vantage point.

This, for instance, would be an attractive home for Tetke, with perhaps servants or soldiers living in a floor below.

Attachments

• 103936.jpg
    103936.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 71

J. Alexander

First Post
The big tree picture denotes a forrest..the black is the mountain range..the puple denotes settled farmsteads..and the larger pics of animals denote farms the size of the squares of the animas they represent

ghostcat

First Post
Just an FYI, but a 6-7 bedroom manor would actually be a large manor, not a small one. :)

I'd also guess that the in-game time frame for this game is going to be long...since building a manor and such could conceivably take years.

This is what I call a large manor. What I have in mind is more like the second photo. That said, it will still take years to build. Still a girl can dream can't she.

Attachments

• Penshurst_Place_-_geograph.org.uk_-_841026.jpg
    Penshurst_Place_-_geograph.org.uk_-_841026.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 63
  • castle-farm-cl.jpg
    castle-farm-cl.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 76

J. Alexander

First Post
Ghostcat,

No your farm holdings is to the south west of a forrest...you are in a grid that is colored silver/grey so i can find you it denotes a stewards holding

Actualy, I plan to advance time at a quick pace dependent on adventures..so the construction of a mannner is possible very quickly

Rhun

First Post
This is what I call a large manor. What I have in mind is more like the second photo. That said, it will still take years to build. Still a girl can dream can't she.

I was simply trying to point out that 6-7 bedrooms plus serving quarters is a large manor. The second picture you posted is one of Castle Farm, which is a 13th century fortified farmhouse. Today it serves as a bed & breakfast, but it only has 2 guest rooms.

(Interestingly, even your first photo, of Penhurst Place, shows the current incarnation of the estate. It was originally much smaller when first built, and was enlarged 200 years later.)

Historically speaking, the concept of private bedrooms for all is a modern contrivance. Certainly the lord of the manor would have a private bedroom, and perhaps a private room for the lady of the manor. In some, the servants simply slept in the greathall. A ladies personal servant may sleep on the floor in her bedroom, wrapped in a blanket. Guardsmen would have a barracks.

At any rate, take all my comments with a grain of salt. I just strive to use lots of historically accurate information in my games I play/DM. Obviously, the game is all about having fun, and I'm not one to say what can or can't be done. :D

Rhun

First Post
Actualy, I plan to advance time at a quick pace dependent on adventures..so the construction of a mannner is possible very quickly

Cool. And I have to say, this game really makes me want to adapt and run the old Companion Rules adventure Test of the Warlords.

Attachments

• CM1_Test_of_the_Warlords.jpg
    CM1_Test_of_the_Warlords.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 76

Rhun

First Post
JA, just to confirm map scale...it looks like each square is approximately 2500 feet per side, correct? (I approximate that on the fact that 5000 x 5000 is about 574 acres, so our plots would be just over 2 squares by 2 squares.)

Kaodi

Hero
I get hung up on the weirdest things sometimes. You know what I am looking forward to? Tetke writing the Rosedown Almanac. Yes, an almanac.

I mean, it is, I think, completely in character, but at the same time, you would not think it would be the sort of detail I would really care that much about as a player.

Remove ads