JA's upcoming game - The Borderland Keep

J. Alexander

First Post
Distracting...absolutly have at it and enjoy it :)

kinem - all of it is avaiable

Okay guys we kick off tuesday if everyone is ready...if not speak now or forever suffer in silence :)

Rhun

First Post
Rhun,

once again i am going to waffle and throw it back to the player as to how indepth he wishes to get...some I imagine will want to go into great details and others may want to just list 5 farm familes etc and keep it at that...or others may wish to pocket the cash and buy magic..it is all about how you invision your character

Thanks JA. Depending on how much spare time I have, we'll see how in-depth I go.

I have done A LOT of research on this type of thing for use in my own homebrew, though, so I might use some of it here. For example, I know that in medieval times, 30 sheep would produce 20 shillings worth of wool per year. I have notes on how much seed it took to plant an acre, and how much wheat/barley/oats/beans could be produced.

Now, I just have to get it put into gaming terms. :)

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
In regards one thing about the maps that I do not quite understand: are the pictures located near our land grants a depiction of something next to our lands, or are they a depiction of what our lands are good for?

I'm guessing they are more of just general in nature. I believe the trees probably denote that the area is forested, while the rest are "plains" and conducive to farming and grazing. I don't understand what the purple color represents though?

kinem

Adventurer
I have done A LOT of research on this type of thing for use in my own homebrew, though, so I might use some of it here. For example, I know that in medieval times, 30 sheep would produce 20 shillings worth of wool per year. I have notes on how much seed it took to plant an acre, and how much wheat/barley/oats/beans could be produced.

Now, I just have to get it put into gaming terms. :)

If you do put it in game terms, maybe you should write an article about it. It could be a handy resource for domain rulership games.

Kaodi

Hero
Does this mean that when I make knowledge or profession checks on agriculture, Rhun will be answering them? ;)

In any case, I look forward to getting this started so that we can begin building our emp- I mean, barony.

Rhun

First Post
Does this mean that when I make knowledge or profession checks on agriculture, Rhun will be answering them? ;)

I'm far from an expert, just done lots of research. And I think the worse thing is that there is a wealth of information, but so much of it is conflicting or confusing. For example, once source is referencing shillings, and one is referencing ducats. But the ducats referenced are not the standard gold ducat which were worth nine shillings, but some other sort of ducat that appear to be worth less than a ha'penny!

Stupid medieval currency!!!

ghostcat

First Post
I'm guessing they are more of just general in nature. I believe the trees probably denote that the area is forested, while the rest are "plains" and conducive to farming and grazing. I don't understand what the purple color represents though?

I hope not as my land seems to be under a tree :( In which case perhaps I should forget farming and go in for foresting and also build a sawmill :)

ghostcat

First Post
Catylina will also keep the 10K until she sees the land.

As she is not interesting in farming, she will be looking to rent the land out to farmers, except for plot where she intends to build her house.

She will however investigate how much plans for a small (six or seven bedroom, plus servants quarters) fortified manner will cost, along with estimated construction costs.

She will also find an agent in South Lake. In case she needs to make arrangement for supplies, building materials, etc. to be purchased and shipped at a later date.

Rhun

First Post
She will however investigate how much plans for a small (six or seven bedroom, plus servants quarters) fortified manner will cost, along with estimated construction costs.

Just an FYI, but a 6-7 bedroom manor would actually be a large manor, not a small one. :)

I'd also guess that the in-game time frame for this game is going to be long...since building a manor and such could conceivably take years.

Remove ads