• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JA's upcoming game - The Borderland Keep

Kaodi

Hero
I got the file from J. Alexander in my inbox yesterday, which I just looked it. If it is something to go by, we would have Men-At-Arms, Heavy Crossbowmen, Light Horse and Heavy Horse to choose from...

Rhun

First Post
I got the file from J. Alexander in my inbox yesterday, which I just looked it. If it is something to go by, we would have Men-At-Arms, Heavy Crossbowmen, Light Horse and Heavy Horse to choose from...

Thanks Kaodi. I have not received this yet. Though historically speaking, men-at-arms and heavy horse are synonymous. :)

J. Alexander

First Post
Clarification

Sorry Rhun sent yours to Scotley by mistake i have resent you the map

While it was my initial thought for them to be simple men at arms i see no reason why they could not be 5 1st level character types plus 1 leader type at 2. But please note that if you chose character classes then your use of them will be more limited than if you select men at arms. In any case they are mainly intended to give you a little muscle if necessary and protect your land grant etc.

So if you wanted an all mangus squad would be dooable as well as an all cavilar squad..just rember if you go with classes your going to have to roll them up as npc's and attache them to your character sheet

kinem

Adventurer
JA, I think it would be better to keep things as simple as possible. The last thing we need is for each player to have 7 character sheets. So I think we should all just get "men at arms" with no other option. Of course, that could be women-at-arms for Catylina.

So, assuming that will be the case, what would our options be for the "men-at-arms"? I assume they would be 5 1st level warriors and 1 2nd level warrior.

If our options are Men-At-Arms, Heavy Crossbowmen, Light Horse and Heavy Horse, then what are each of those like? Equipment, capabilities (such as firing bows rapidly, if any of them can), etc.

If you don't take my suggestion to restrict us to the "men at arms", then you'll have to explain what you meant by "if you chose character classes then your use of them will be more limited" and by "roll them up as npcs".

BTW, a rules question: Does fast healing work below 0 hp? I've seen people think not, though that never made any sense to me. This makes a difference to how useful the spell infernal healing is.

J. Alexander

First Post
Kinem,

I would agree, but I am not going to disuade a player if he wants to complicate his life....the more limited aspect refers to the fact that if you chose men at arms then like common soliders they are pretty much yours to command withing reason. If one was to chose character classes then I would roleplay them as NPC's to a certain degree..with their own agenda...ie you can order a solider to attack against overwhelimg odds but would an npc do it...hope that makes sense..i agree it would be best if everyone chooses men at arms...

As to the equipment...i am going to be pretty flexiable...tell me what type of squad you are thinking of..ie heavy infantry,,,longbowmen, heavy horsemen..etc and we can discuss the particuals...catacpharts fall under the catagory as does knights but each has a entirely differnt role.....

The catch is this.....all have to be on type... you have an entire squad or skirmers or an entire squad or pavise crossbowmen but no mixing and matching...

I tend to agree with your definiton of fast heal

kinem

Adventurer
If one was to chose character classes then I would roleplay them as NPC's to a certain degree..with their own agenda...ie you can order a solider to attack against overwhelimg odds but would an npc do it...

Actually, JA, I'd prefer if you roleplay all of the men at arms anyway. It adds versimiltude. Also, giving players too much control of their followers, IMO, is less fun as we don't get to emulate real leadership skills and social interaction.

As to the equipment...i am going to be pretty flexiable...tell me what type of squad you are thinking of..ie heavy infantry,,,longbowmen, heavy horsemen..etc and we can discuss the particuals...catacpharts fall under the catagory as does knights but each has a entirely differnt role.....

Basically, I want heavy horse archers. Equipment could be as follows:

armor (type depends on budget)
composite longbow or light crossbow
heavy wooden shield
lance (for chargin')
flail (for trippin' and disarmin')
sword (optional)
sap (for policin')
signal whistle

J. Alexander

First Post
kinem - so basically your wanting cataphratcs...your going to need to price out chain barding etc for the horses,,,in addition to full chain mail for the soliders...a heavy warhose and a short composite bow :)

DistractingFlare - basically your looking at huge norse type armed with heavy waraxes, a short sword and studded leather armor ?

Ghostcat - so were looking at light chain shirts on a light riding maybe even a hunter. i woulb maybe go with a light repeating crossbow

Remove ads