• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Age of Worms (Updated 11/30, Epilogue!)

Vek's player was the only one of that group who did some powergaming & had some interesting character builds - the rest were pretty much too straight forward for all the 3E possibilities. Still, it was the story that got me hooked. :) I'm glad that Doc Midnight & his stories are still remembered!

But let's not forget, that here we've been getting some years of powergaming galore & great storytelling from JollyDoc & Co (not forgetting all of gfunks & Joachims updates in SC & all of these guys' posts with gaming background and character stats).
And, of course, always the amazement of what they come up with next, be it tactics, exploits or character optimizations!!! :]

On that note, thanks again for doing it!

Joachim

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
Considering how well WotC's release schedule has followed JollyDoc's story hour in the past, I would not be surprised to see the release of the Book of Perfect Balance soon after you guys start. ;)

Argument against you here: today over at wizards.com they released a bunch of Epic Warlock feats. All of them very nice. All of them too late to be used in this campaign.

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Joachim said:
Argument against you here: today over at wizards.com they released a bunch of Epic Warlock feats. All of them very nice. All of them too late to be used in this campaign.
Actually, it proves my point. ;) Isn't your final marathon session today (Saturday)? And the epic warlock feats came out last night. Talk about perfect timing.

Joachim

First Post
jeremy_dnd said:
Actually, it proves my point. ;) Isn't your final marathon session today (Saturday)? And the epic warlock feats came out last night. Talk about perfect timing.

Considering that I burned mny own wish out of a Luck Blade (not shown in the Story Hour) to rebuild Faust's destroyed body, I think that I am going to get him to do a Psychic Restore on me in payment.

Eldritch Sculptor, here I come!

Solarious

Explorer
Eldritch scupltor? It must be for the double blast ability. The range abilities usually aren't quite worth it... at least, not against a single, powerful target anyways.

Dare I say this is the return of blast-focused Havoc? :D I had almost gotten used to a Timestop/Solid Fog/Silence/Wall of Perilious Flames-Havoc.

JollyDoc

Explorer
As always, I'll leave the teaser for Gfunk, but let's just say that we gamed for 7 solid hours tonight...and the grand finale still ain't over. To be continued...

JollyDoc said:
As always, I'll leave the teaser for Gfunk, but let's just say that we gamed for 7 solid hours tonight...and the grand finale still ain't over. To be continued...
Well, if that isn't one right there... :] Didn't the Adimarchus fight take longer than one session, too?

gfunk

First Post
Sunday Afternoon Update

No more fooling around baby! We prep up, spell up and greater teleport to the top of the spire.

Before the final encounter
1. Havoc is re-optimized using epic Warlock feats courtesy of a bend reality from Faust.
2. Hawk joins the epic-level club.
3. We spell-up (keeping in mind the lessons we learned in our last nearly disastrous battle). In terms of # spells on them, Faust >> Mak/Grubber > Havoc, Hawk

THE BIG FIGHT
1. Kyuss is already out of the spire with all his buddies surrounding him. The first thing we notice is that there are many familiar faces among Kyuss' minions.
2. This battle heralds the introduction of several new magic items (skin of the celestial, boots of temporal acceleration) and the first-time use of new spells/powers (rain of embers, reality revision).
3. Everyone (well except Mak :) ) enters a time stop including Hawk!! (oh, and Kyuss too . . . several times :( )
4. We witness the death of a couple of artifacts, like a certain sphere being . . . well . . . annihilated, not to mention a certain staff being broken in half.
5. Kyuss takes well > 1000 hp of dmg but, I assure you, he is still very much alive.
6. Towards the end of the night, things were swinging in the League's favor but then things started going fubar. Without being excessively specific let me just say that things went downhill rapidly following an extended time stop, a gate, and a new Spawn of Kyuss being formed (guess who won the bet?).
7. Finally, no epic level encounter would be complete w/o a mordenkainen's disjunction (or three).

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
Oh dear. When I read through the adventure, Kyuss not being alone looked to be a near guarantee of being a TPK. And the party are supposed to get 1-2 rounds of free attacks on Kyuss if they play things right. Obviously they didn't. I'm very much looking forward to the write-up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads