Joss Whedon taking over Justice League movie?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This took me by surprise today. Terrible news about Snyder's daughter. That's awful. And very surprising news that Whedon is taking the reigns.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/just...ice-league-passes-film-to-joss-whedon-a151333

Following his daughter's tragic suicide, director Zack Snyder has decided to step down from Justice League and has passed on directing duties to The Avengers helmer Joss Whedon.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, director Zack Snyder has announced his departure from Justice League.

His decision comes after the sudden death of his daughter Autumn Snyder, who committed suicide in March at age 20.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it, The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all consuming. And in the last two months I’ve come to the realization …I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

Joss Whedon has written and will direct additional scenes for the film, which will shoot in London this summer.
SaveSave

My sympathies go out to Snyder. That's horrible.

Walking away from a potential billion dollar movie can't be easy. I applaud him for doing so and looking after the rest of his family and Warner for letting him go.

Probably too little, too late.

I've seen enough fan edits and director's cuts to know that a little rejiggering is often all it takes to separate a bad movie from a good movie. Snyder was already really great and presenting these amazing shots and scenes and really mediocre at setting them up and making you care. Just a few bits tightening and connecting the movie, choosing what to keep and what to cut, and a film can be vastly improved.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've seen enough fan edits and director's cuts to know that a little rejiggering is often all it takes to separate a bad movie from a good movie. Snyder was already really great and presenting these amazing shots and scenes and really mediocre at setting them up and making you care. Just a few bits tightening and connecting the movie, choosing what to keep and what to cut, and a film can be vastly improved.

I was trying to be nice.
Have you seen MoS? BvS? It's going to take more than Whedon filming a few extra scenes & stepping in at the last minute to undo Snyders vision of/damage to the DCU.

Ryujin

Legend
It's good of Whedon to step in for Snyder. Whedon famously spoke on how shepherding the Marvel Universe almost broke him, when he didn't have any other personal issues to deal with, and that he didn't want to do that sort of thing again. I would think that fueled more than a little empathy for Snyder's situation.

I was trying to be nice.
Have you seen MoS? BvS? It's going to take more than Whedon filming a few extra scenes & stepping in at the last minute to undo Snyders vision of/damage to the DCU.

I disagree with that.
Picture the worse scenes of those movies. The most cringe inducing dialogue or awkward moments. And then replace them with something better. Add tiny moments of joy. And then add tiny moments of exposition and character justifications.

They wouldn't be perfect or amazing movies, but they'd be less bad and significantly more watchable.

Now, remember that Justice League was already likely tweaked in response to the negative feedback for the last few movies. It was already going to be a lighter and less bleak movie. From the get go it had a better chance of being watchable. Now you take away the cringe worthy scenes and tighten the story set-up. Suddenly, things have potential.

Remove ads