Judgement Day: EVIL (Good stay out)

Wrahn

First Post
Albedo said:
Actually Wrahn, the Cone would have no affect on you anyways, but you did make the save. You didn't see where the cone came from, so you can assume it came from behind you somewhere. The cone was a gas.

Harkuf turns, if he doesn't immediately see something, he will quicken cast true seeing. Further actions depend on what (if anything) that reveals.

Albedo

First Post
Harkuf, you see a Copper Dragon with a knight riding on its back carrying a lance. It is about 300 feet away from you now.

Alosat, the distance to Gwynneth is about 2,000 feet to the west of you, whereas its about 1,700 feet to the Northeast to the guards. At that range, I'm not gonna let you assess.

Aethan, the cloud cover is after the first guard posts and extends onwards. You also hit the ground before you get below the cloud. (its at ground level).

Pyrex

First Post
Ok. Aethan will rise up and try to get above the cloud cover and determine it's extent.
I'm guessing it's going to be nice and circular covering the boundaries of Maleign.

Wait, it extends from ground level to the edge of the guard towers? When did it appear?

Aethan casts 'Detect Magic' and analyzes the cloud (Spellcraft +32, Kn(Arcana)+15) while trying to get above it.

Albedo

First Post
It doesn't extend to the guard towers, the first few towers are in from of it. It didn't appear to Aethan until he was five feet away from it. The cloud reaches 15,000 feet into the air. The spellcraft check fails to determine the nature of this cloud. The detect magic shows everything, ground included, is magical.

Pyrex

First Post
To be clear: From outside the perimiter of the guard towers the sky is clear as far as can be seen. Some distance inside the perimiter all of a sudden *poof* there's a cloudbank covering the region. Right?

Returning to his half-mile altitude Aethan moves just outside the three-mile-tall column of insta-cloud and follows its boundary towards the coast attempting to determine just how large an area around Maleign is being warded.

Given his skills, does Aethan know of any magics/artifacts/etc that could generate this variety of ward? Does he have any guess as to how the residents of Maleign have managed to magically ward hundreds of cubic miles of airspace around their city?

OOC: Well it certainly appears that they're not going to make it easy for us. :)

Last edited:

Wrahn

First Post
There must be some indirect effect, Dragon Breath does not extend that far. Interesting though, if it is indirect anyway the I can think of that would be used to detect me would be defeated by Mind Blank, any direct way, including the dragons powerful senses should have been fooled by the illusion, unless it went around disbelieving every field mouse it came across. I suppose this isn't the first time I have encountered something outside of my normal experience. On the other hand, I wasn't paying too much attention, perhaps they have magics to repel vermin, so I actually stand out.

Harkuf continues to ready his action for the anti-magic to drop to cast Mind Rape again.

OOC: What size catagory is the dragon?

Albedo

First Post
The dragon is colossal, and its coming around for another pass at you Harkuf. It makes a bite attack as it flies by. Is your AC higher than 53? The kinght on the dragons back also takes a shot at you. Is your AC higher than 50. BTW, I haven't seen you do anything yet that prevents true seeing. Besides, the three guards know your a rodent.Aethan, your idea of the cloud is correct. Its an insta cloud. Its gonna take you a long time to map this cloud though. And you can't think of anything that could produce this effect. You think theres something really odd going on here.

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: I don't necessarily want a thorough accurate map of the clouded region, just a rough guess at it's size. I already know it's about 3 miles tall, I was planning on following around its edge towards the coast for a couple miles to make a rough guess at it's diameter since we still don't have a great idea how large the area Maleign claims is. Is the suspected diameter of the warded area closer to 5mi, 10mi or 20mi?

OOC2: What schools of magic showed up when I used the Detect Magic? Given the fact that there's a city, and quite likely farmland, under there Aethan is currently betting that the clouds are illusory. Unfortunately miles of illusory cloud beat 120' of True Seeing...

Albedo

First Post
The city area extends over much more than 20 miles, so you can't make an accurate guess. As for the clouds spell type, its an abjuration.

Wrahn

First Post
Albedo said:
The dragon is colossal, and its coming around for another pass at you Harkuf. It makes a bite attack as it flies by. Is your AC higher than 53? The kinght on the dragons back also takes a shot at you. Is your AC higher than 50. BTW, I haven't seen you do anything yet that prevents true seeing. Besides, the three guards know your a rodent.

OOC: I am confused, did the dragon flyby him before? From your previous post, you mention it was 300 feet away, had it previously flown by him? (Hard to miss a colossal dragon flying within 120 feet to catch him in the range of True Seeing or 60 feet to catch him in the effect of the cone.)

Also remember that the guys in the towers magical senses are supressed as they are in an anti-magic aura.

His AC is 45 still so he is hit twice, though his DR of 10/bludgeoning and magic, Also he has an Amulet of Retribution, the damage he has taken is split between the attacker and him (He takes half and they take half).

IC:

As a move equivilent action he gets his shield off his back. If they end within 125 feet (85 ft range and 40ft spread) he will cast Mordenkainen's Disjunction on them, followed but a Quickened Greater Blink. He casts defensively both times (not rolling because he can't fail).

He also stops supressing his three auras (Heat (conditions become dry and hot, no immediate combat effect other than Harkuf's fast healing kicks in), Despair (within 60 feet DC 42 will or be shaken) and Despair (within 10ft take a -2 penalty to all saves))

If they are not within 125ft, I need more information about where they are.

Remove ads