Judgement

It's come to my attention that my character, Articifer_Nathan, is considered a god moder and generally not someone to be around. To be honest I have seen how I've inadvertently become a god moder, but I try not be one, and in fact try not to be someone to hate, particularly with that character, still, since the transfer from wizards to here, I have lost more friends then I have gained, and it's made me wonder if I shouldn't take him off for good. To helpin this decision, I want all of you (magi included) to tell me your over all impression/opinion about Articifer_Nathan, and whether you'd like him to stay, or go. Please no one quote another person's answer, I want Your words. Sorry if I seem like I'm complaining, but fact is I've had this thought in my mind for sometime now I'd like to basically know what the public opinion is. And to the Magi, sorry if this thread may violate any rules, I just really want to know is all.

Drindin

First Post
Though nathan is a friendly character, I do get that definate 'god-mode' feeling from him.

Though, to completely eliminate him, would be an extreme. There are other ways to go about it. You could 'fade' him out of existence, or perhaps go for the more soap-opera pursuit (the one I would recommend for him if you're attatched) and that would be to find some reason why he would be stripped of his powers.

And finally, you could let him keep his powers, but have him flaunt them far less.

Perhaps there is some one he's hiding from.

Last edited:

Kinetti

First Post
Me, I will withold my comments for now and first ask if this thread would even be legal? wouldn't people who post in the affirmative, saying you're a god-moder, be, by definition, flaming, and thus in violation of the CoC?

I don't know, I don't think so, just feel free to post with absolute honesty. And for drindin, I actually try not to flaunt as much as possible, most of the time I'm simply sitting idly by, drinking something and observing all around me

Babylon Logos

First Post
Articifer Nathan said:
I don't know, I don't think so, just feel free to post with absolute honesty. And for drindin, I actually try not to flaunt as much as possible, most of the time I'm simply sitting idly by, drinking something and observing all around me

I believe that may be part of the problem. But to be technical, until Nathan fights, it's not God-Moding, if he doesn't use the skills in battle, oh well, the character is probably just bluffing. And that's a realistic look upon it, let's face it, this is Dungeons and Dragons, boastings runs rampant with characters.

There's also the fact, that many people confusing God-Moding with a response to God-Moding, or just an intelligent character. This is particularally true when it comes to spell casters, the most often characters to be writ off as God-Moded. All a mae has to do on EnWorld to be writ a God-Moder is cast Prismatic Sphere . . . A Non-Epic spell no less.

I use this spell as an example because of it's effects. Seven colors, seven effects, and seven spells to counter it. Along with the fact that it remains intact even if the casting mage leaves it. It's a rather insanely powerful defensive spell, however, if it is both cast and ddefeated by another mage, they're both called God-Moders. ANd yet, for such a powerful spell, the flaws of the Prismatic Sphere are emmense, most of the spells you need to destroy it are rather low leveled. ANd yet, a smart mage who counters it, is a God-Moder, and the Mage who cast it is a God-Moder, simply for knowing spells that are staples of a Spell Arsenal. It's just like ssaying that Mage is a God-Moder for casting Magic Missile, your using the counter effect of Dispell Magic, which on a fun note, both spells are required to counter Prismatic Wall.

Anyhow, onto my point, RolePlayers are fast the sling about the words God-Moder anytime they see something they don't like, or are embarrassed by the fact that they didn't think of it first. For example, I got it once, for using Mage Hand. You can lift upto five pounds with it. Okay, my Mage used it and ripped out a guy's heart, last I checked, not only is that under five pounds, but since Mage Hand only says you have to point at an object, within 25 feet +5 feet/2 levels, not that it has to be seen, targetting a being's heart is fully within the spells power. It's a level zero spell, and yet a unique use of the spell spurred the words God-Moder to be said. We won't get into the fact that the fight which this occured it, was a preplanned part of a storyline, including the Mage Handery.

There is also a rather speedy flinging of the word towards evil characters. I won't go into my feelings here, or examples, I'll just state this. The various handbooks offer classes that are any-evil, any-chaotic, or a specific evil and races that advance 'As character class' to add extra option to your character. You're wanted to play an evil character sometimes, so everyone isn't always Lawful Good.

Magi_Siani

First Post
Since he asked for opinions on the matter, no, it isn't flaming. As long as the responses are reasonable in tone and not just rants and insults of a personal nature it should be fine. We will watch the thread, however.

I haven't seen Nathan in a long time so will not comment on the character's nature.

Siani

Kalreil

First Post
Nathan always struck me as arrogant, but I have never seen anything unreasonably powerful from him.
As for the prismatic sphere thing, there is a super easy way around it that saves all those spells so you can tag the caster with them...
I will agree though, a high level mage runs the risk of being a god-moder, how can one not be with spells that really can make you invulnerable to almost anything and rain down doom from hundreds of feet away?I say it all comes down to how you play it.

Having never seen Nathan fight and not knowing much about his character besides the rare enounters i've had with him I'd be kind of sad to see Nathan leave, Tyrian finds him an easy mark. But Tyrian is foolish like that (contrary to what he'd tell most people). As for god modding, I never really got that impression, but as said, I ain't seen a lot of the character to pass useful judgement in terms of combat, but in general 'in tavern' non-violent play it'd be sad to see him go.

Ruthia

First Post
I've always liked Nathan as a character and myself have never thought of him as a god-modder, but like many of the others I haven't seen much of him fighting either. I'd be sad to see him go though as I have always liked him.

And as for the whole god-maoder thing tiself I've notiiced people tend to use it when they don't like a character. I get told Ruthia's a god moder all the time yet she gets the snot kicked outta her on a regular bases....*shrugs* no pleasing everyone....

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I personally have not seen Nathan in quite some time so prefer not to comment. I will however mention that the CRT setting is intended for lower character/more common types Perhaps a different setting would suit the higher level that he is. I'm sure the imaginative person could come up for a reason for his change of planar preference.

Remove ads