• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

June - What are you reading?

Voadam

Legend
Merlin, I forget who the author is, though I want to say Stephen R. Donaldson

The rest are rpg books right now

I just finished Dread Codex by Adamant Entertainment

I'm close to finishing Tome of Magic (3e).

Burok Torn City Under Siege by SSS.

I plant to start Mercenaries by AEG next and Monsternomicon 3.5

Steve Jung

Explorer
I'm reading The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide. After that I'll probably read Star Trek: Vanguard #3: Reap the Whirlwind.

Mallus

Legend
Just finished Superluminal by Tony Daniel. It's the sequel to Metaplanetary and hands-down, the best, most slam-bang entertaining pair of books that no-one but me and my friend Jeff have read. They're a little like Tom Robbins writing Buck Rogers for the post-singularity crowd... what's not to love? They're so much more entertaining than John C. Wright's "Golden Age" trilogy, which was published around the same time.

Next, I try to finish a book I've put down and picked up a few times; C.S. Friedman's This Alien Shore. I've come to realize that, while I like her characters and plots, her bland and slightly... confessional prose style really puts me off.

After that, Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I can't wait. In fact, the odds are good I put This Alien Shore down yet again.

Asmo

First Post
Mallus said:
Next, I try to finish a book I've put down and picked up a few times; C.S. Friedman's This Alien Shore. I've come to realize that, while I like her characters and plots, her bland and slightly... confessional prose style really puts me off.

"confessional prose style" ? Can you expand on that?

Asmo

Mallus

Legend
Asmo said:
"confessional prose style" ? Can you expand on that? Asmo
Her prose often comes off sounding like blog entries written in the 3rd person. Too much free indirect discourse. The POV is situated too close in to the characters, or not close enough.

Like an friend telling you about her exciting day in a really boring manner.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads