• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[June] What are you reading?

Nellisir

Hero
Finished Wolf to the Slaughter, which was decent but not great. 3/5.
Stayed up too late just now and read Still Water, by Nigel McCrery, which was much better. Still an English Murder Mystery, with the Inspector and his dogged assistant, but a bit more up-to-date and with a bit of the bleak Scandinavian thriller thrown in. 4/5. The prologue is certainly twisted enough to be Scandinavian.

Not sure what I'll read next, but the next Nigel McCrery book is apparently called Tooth and Claw. I don't have that book, but I do have a well-reviewed book of the same title by Jo Walton, so maybe I'll take it as a sign. Or I'll jump across the Irish Sea and read Bleak Harbor by Tana French.

Edit: I took Tooth and Claw off the shelf, so I guess that's up next. Haven't opened it yet.

Last edited:

Lindeloef

First Post
Finshed "Word of the Wind" from Patrick Rothfuss and started his 2nd Book "A Wiseman's fear"

My comments on Word of the Wind (spoiler free):
The book tells the story of Kothe who, in the book tells the story of his life. I really liked the Books except for 2 small parts. The first part was, when I realised that the book will tell us his life story and not about the events in the ""now"" time and the other is a story regarding the wedding. Oh and Kothe is kinda a Mary Sue, but in this case it didn't bother me.

In one chapter Kothe is really nervous and man, the author wrote it so well, that I was at least as nervous as Kothe, if not more. So Kudos to Pat.

Nellisir

Hero
The Davincci code, I cant believe I havent gotten around to it before now

It was a huge bestseller, millions of people bought it, it's spawned two (?) movies and is a household name.

I thought it was a wonderful example of write-by-numbers, but I am snarky and cynical. Your mileage may vary.

Nellisir

Hero
<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Nellisir<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
thanks for the heads up ;)
It's still a good book, and I'm still going to read the third one, but if you picked up on the Mary Sue issue in the first one, it's gonna put on a skirt and pom-poms for you in the second book. I just pretend that Kvothe can't really read a calender, and when he says "day", I think "week", and when he says "month", I think "year". ;)

Nellisir

Hero
Tooth and Claw was very good. Different, very different, and also very good. I'd give it a 4/5 without a qualm, and it came very close to 5/5.

Nellisir

Hero
Started The Immortality Engine, by George Mann, last night. It's OK so far; neither memorable nor terrible. It does does have the stereotypical Victorian Steampunk characters from Central Casting: the Bold And Forthright Gal Friday Who Goes Into Dens of Iniquity With Aplomb In Search of Justice And Her Employer; the Opium-Addicted Genius Detective Who Employs the Gal Friday And Is Secretly Happy That She Goes Into Dens of Iniquity Looking For Him; and the Upright And Proper Detective From Scotland Yard Who Goes Hrumph And Has A Mustache And Does Not Think It Is Proper That Gal Friday Should Go Into Dens of Iniquity.

Just once I'd like to see a central female character walk into a Den Of Iniquity, roll her eyes, and say something like "This is it? Six kids with the trots and no washing machine; THAT'S a proper mess" or "Is that a dead body? That's hardly nothin' at all! My Uncle Dafydd was dead in his barn a week in August heat; THAT'S a proper stink".

Edit: As it is Wednesday, I'm mostly reading comics. Fearless Defenders, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine and the X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Astonishing X-Men: Monstrous TPB, New Mutants: Date with the Devil TPB, and a bunch of freebies/leftovers the store owner threw in my bag.

Last edited:

Remove ads