• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[June] What are you reading?

Elodan

Adventurer
Finished Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews. It's set in the Kate Daniels universe and centers on her best friend Andrea. While the series had a bit more romance than I care for (borrowed from the wife), the characters and world are interesting. Another good book in that world.

Currently 1/3 of the way through Shadow Prowler by Alexey Pehov. It bears a lot of similarities to the Lord of the Rings in that a great evil is returning and that there are elves and dwarves, but there's enough of a difference between these and the standard. Fun read so far.

Jhaelen

First Post
After finishing Peter Hamilton's 'Great North Road' which, as usually, didn't disappoint, I've now started reading 'Children of the Sky' by Vernor Vinge. It's a sequel to 'Fire Upon the Deep' one of the most intriguing sci-fi novels I've ever read. Unfortunately, it's been _ages_ since I read it (well, 20 years) and my memories of it are a bit hazy and slow to return.

Nellisir

Hero
Started Broken Harbor by Tana French. It's been a few years since I read the first three, so was wondering if maybe my memories were a little rose tinted. Not so. Am loving this book.

Although it was creeping me the f*ck out last night, enough so I had trouble going to sleep.

Have not finished The Immortality Engine. Later. Have a better book for now. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Finished Broken Harbor. Excellent, excellent book, 5/5. Tana French once again looks at family, friendship, and going well and truly batshit insane.

Everett

First Post
Finished Broken Harbor. Excellent, excellent book, 5/5. Tana French once again looks at family, friendship, and going well and truly batshit insane.

I loved Tana French's first 3, but couldn't get into Broken Harbour for some reason. I read maybe half of it. Maybe the narrator this time around just wasn't a headspace I wanted to be in, maybe the book seemed needlessly dense.

Nellisir

Hero
I loved Tana French's first 3, but couldn't get into Broken Harbour for some reason. I read maybe half of it. Maybe the narrator this time around just wasn't a headspace I wanted to be in, maybe the book seemed needlessly dense.

Interesting. I loved the first one, really liked the second one, and the third one didn't quite catch for me. Good, but not memorable.

Everett

First Post
Interesting. I loved the first one, really liked the second one, and the third one didn't quite catch for me. Good, but not memorable.

You'll notice how much more ornate the style of In The Woods is, comparatively, than the latter three books. That's because she didn't hit on the tack of switching narrators every book until after writing it; thus it ends on a flat note, central mystery unresolved; she figured she'd just finish Rob's story in the next book. She may yet get back to him eventually.

Frank Mackey in Faithful Place is by far my favorite of her characters; the guy's just 150% believable.

Nellisir

Hero
You'll notice how much more ornate the style of In The Woods is, comparatively, than the latter three books. That's because she didn't hit on the tack of switching narrators every book until after writing it; thus it ends on a flat note, central mystery unresolved; she figured she'd just finish Rob's story in the next book. She may yet get back to him eventually.
Frank Mackey in Faithful Place is by far my favorite of her characters; the guy's just 150% believable.
I read them a few years ago, and I've read a lot of books since then, so I don't really remember how ornate it was.

I liked how In The Woods ended. It was different, and...the "current" mystery; the impetus for the story, was solved. I'm not sure I'd call the earlier one the central mystery, although it's certainly the backdrop against which everything plays out. (Maybe the core mystery? I dunno. The story doesn't break because it's unsolved.) Broken Harbor does something similar.

There's a book...frack, I can't remember the name right now, but it's sci-fi, cyber-punkish, and it ends on a total downbeat. The protagonist basically gets roped into doing the devil's work, and by the end of the book, while he's overcome his "current" obstacles, he's fallen into the employ of the one person he'd always avoided. His friends have deserted him, and no one trusts him. Won the battle, lost the war.
It's a very good book. Fairly well known, actually, and I'm totally blanking on it and the author. Anyways, it & In The Woods remind me of each other. Win the battle, lose the war.

But, everyone likes what they like, or not. I recommended In The Woods to a really good friend, and she hated it with a passion.

Crothian

First Post
I'm reading Day by Day Armageddon: Exile the second book in a Zombie series but one of the better zombie books I've read. I've been on a bit of a Zombie kick lately and read a lot of different zombie books but most have been mediocre to bad.

Everett

First Post
I don't know how to do the buttons or blacked text to hide spoilers. **SPOILERS HERE**

There's a book...frack, I can't remember the name right now, but it's sci-fi, cyber-punkish, and it ends on a total downbeat. The protagonist basically gets roped into doing the devil's work, and by the end of the book, while he's overcome his "current" obstacles, he's fallen into the employ of the one person he'd always avoided. His friends have deserted him, and no one trusts him. Won the battle, lost the war. It's a very good book. Fairly well known, actually, and I'm totally blanking on it and the author. Anyways, it & In The Woods remind me of each other. Win the battle, lose the war.

Except that in In The Woods he loses the battle AND the war. Loses his partner, his job, no closer to solving the mystery of his past and a psychopath goes free. So... what did he win? If she ever finishes Rob's story, he's got one hell of an uphill climb in front of him.

Nelliser said:
But, everyone likes what they like, or not. I recommended In The Woods to a really good friend, and she hated it with a passion.

While I enjoyed the book well enough, the style is so vividly impressionistic that it's sometimes hard to believe that the narrator is male; that's my only issue with it.

Last edited:

Remove ads