[June] What are you reading?

Jhaelen

First Post
Allow me to encourage you to pick this up again - I found it excellent.
I'm a big fan of Neal Stephenson but I thought it was rather meh. It started off really interesting but soon got bogged down, imho, because he added too many groups to the stew: gold farmers, hackers, terrorists, spies, ...
In particularly the convenient coincidence of one of the world's most wanted terrorists living upstairs from the gold-farmers gone hackers in was a bit too much for my taste.
I would have preferred a more focused story.

Callahan09

Explorer
Been reading Gardens of the Moon off and on for months. I just for he time to really devote to reading sessions with it and its a book you can't appreciate or easily follow without devoting a fair amount of attention to it. I like it but I just can't devote myself to it the way I need to to finish it. Every time I get fair time to read a full chapter I'll go online and read the recap of everything that came before so I can recall what's going on and who's who, but it's not a great way to read that particular book. Someday if I find myself with some more me time on my hands I'll probably just start it over.

LeStew

Explorer
It's a toss up between three or four titles right now.

The Lazy DM by Mick Shea (slyflourish.com)
The Neverwinter Campaign setting. Again.
The Alexandria Link by Steve Berry
Inferno by Dan Brown

Plus I'm still doing daily bible readings.

Mallus

Legend
I dropped the other books I was reading and am now tearing into the latest book in the Expanse series: Abaddon's Gate, by James S.A. Corey (who is really Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck writing together).

The series really strikes a cord with me. The best way I can describe them is they're like the books that made me fall in love with cience fiction as a kid, but written for the middle-aged me, ie a guy who appreciates good writing but isn't out to prove how sophisticated their tastes are.

Remove ads