• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just Always Wondered

Enelya

First Post
Alek said:
I like these threads at first, but then I grow more depressed every time I am reminded that I have been doing this for 7 years.

I've been doing it for 13! How do you think I feel?!

Tharivious

First Post
Sienna Rose said:
DM, GM, Judge, Narrator, Story Teller, Bartender. . .
You too, huh? :lol:

My start? Hmm, I suppose I could start at the beginning.

When I was 11, I started playing a largely unknown card game (at the time) that became the juggernaut of Magic: the Gathering. It had only been out for two years at the time, so there was none of this glut of cards that we have today. We had to make do with the base sets, and the first handful of expansions.

How does that relate? Simple: The theme deck. Before I had a clue what roleplaying was all about, I was creating themed decks of cards that centered around various ideas. They didn't work, mind you, but they had their own sort of character. I regularly purchased InQuest magazine during the next several years of Magic-playing, and as a result, got tidbits about D&D and other tabletop RPGs. They looked like fun, but I was still clueless. But, as the years went on and my will to spend money on little bits of cardboard dwindled, I took a break from Magic.

I still picked up InQuest from time to time, and started reading about D&D 3E just before its release. Coincidentally, it wasn't long after this that I picked up the decks and life counters again, and started back into Magic at the local cardshop. This was where I met back up with an old classmate of mine who had been playing D&D for a year or so (I believe), and got invited to play D&D with him and his sisters, and a few others from their area. Conveniently enough, this turned out to be the player behind Nugan.

*runs some quick math* From age 16 to 18, I played D&D and Magic. Then, I was lucky enough to get my first (very weak) computer, and gained access to the internet for the first time in my life. I started lurking in the Magic and D&D forums at Wizards, and in the RPG Live chatroom. I heard mainly disparaging comments about ISRP (not from the RPG Live crew, oddly enough) when I asked what it was, but wandered over one night out of curiosity in spite of it. I got hooked. Big time.

Granted, I was completely clueless at the time, but it was fun. The rest, as they say, is history.

Alek

First Post
Enelya said:
I've been doing it for 13! How do you think I feel?!

was a brower based ISRP site even around then? I know a few buddies of mine used to play MUD's through telnet in the early 90's

Lysander Namm

First Post
Actually isrp started in AOL chat if I recollect correctly (even though it was before my time). Back when the Wizo's where TSROs, from there it went to Ichat on wizards and eventually to were we know and love it on Enworld's flash chat with the Magi

Liadan

First Post
*ish fairly new here :)*

Was introduced to ISRP by a friend who I also met through one of our oh so random RPs back in our old yahoo groups site. I became rather interested with it since it was Dungeons and Dragons based and i've heard a lot about it (Being a fan of fantasy stuff and MTG and the like helped too :D) Was rather hesitant at first to be honest since I didn't know anyone there AT ALL but then it all turned out well I guess. Met some new friends for Liadan here... and some enemies too... set up some relationships and now, after 2 years I'm still here... rather addicted to it too (Who needs sleep I say!) :p

Kinetti

First Post
*sings* Meeeeem'ries...

ah, the days of yore, back when D&D was not in hard-cover books, but on clay tablets inscribed with cuneiform...

But seriously, I haven't been Gaming quite that long, I only got into D&D in the early 90's, when @nd Ed was still in full-swing. My first table-top characters were the parents of a few chars of my current crop of oh-so-beloved, I know, vampie-slayers, haw haw :p characters like Kendari, whom one or two who still come today may recall. Ivy Sharpthorn, a character I've been trottin' out again once in a whil was in the second table-top campaign I was in, perhaps ... '95 or so.
Now for ISRP... I was another who just happened to be at a compy one day and Searched it out, perhaps in ... '97, I forget more-precisely, but people like Charm/Fatora were still new. I think this was only shortly after the Chat's move from AOL, back in the days of the _old_ tavern, before the Clearing and those plotlines. Back when the ever-present vampie fad was led by such notables as Velaria, Valerus and "Lady Vampire" (hehehe).
I love to RP, I'm another that, as I have heard from others of you, who can daydream often of new plot-twists, new stories, new places to set up as setting... I love ISRP and D&D, and I also hope I am never to old to do so.

and Morti, you can't be much older than me. hehe. so don't feel too bad...

~~ KC, the aged but still kickin' CAT (*points* a reference to another super-old char of mine. heh)

Enelya

First Post
Alek said:
was a brower based ISRP site even around then? I know a few buddies of mine used to play MUD's through telnet in the early 90's

Yes, there was. I was coming into the scene right as ISRP transferred from AOL to Ichat. I remember having to use Java quite fondly.

And yes, Kinette, I miss Lady Vampire, Velaria, and I can never forget the Rohan clan. I miss my beloved Turks, Trelack, and folks like Lyleth, Lumin, and Spidy!

The old days... I miss them.

Last edited:

Remove ads