Just saw Delicious in Dungeon

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Don’t think it’s cultural. It’s just the style. The incredibly long, drawn out stories with tons of background.

Right up your alley I’d say.
Well I'm certainly enjoying your recommendation, so perhaps I should give some other anime a try too.

grankless

Adventurer
I like the show but am starting to think I'd like to see more Dungeon, and a little less Delicious. I'd have been really interested in seeing more of the story in the paintings.
Well, as they say, "watch and information will be revealed". You can also just go read the manga- i t's gorgeous.

Also, it never gets less "Delicious" - this is a story about food, and consumption, and desire, and hunger, and the fact that everything you will ever eat was once alive.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Don’t think it’s cultural. It’s just the style. The incredibly long, drawn out stories with tons of background.

Right up your alley I’d say.
I was talking about this with one of my players last month and he was telling me about how several anime properties have "condensed" versions that cut out a lot of the call backs and fluff. I think it was originally intended to help people get caught up on long series. But it seems to be a growing trend to help people enjoy anime who get turned off by just this thing.

I don't think that would work very well with Delicious in Dungeon, however, as it so far doesn't have lots of call backs (to new in the series and is Netflix produced, so I doubt that will be a huge issue) and does have a lot of extended internal monologue that many animes use. The only thing you could cut out to focus on the rescue plot and dungeon setting would be all the cooking stuff, which kinda defeats the point of the show. The series is starting to grow on me again, especially with the last episode with the mimic and paintings. I kinda like it being a fantasy cooking show with slow bits of lore, politics, and character background, and the rescue plat being dripped out around the edges. I don't know if it will get old, but it is working for now and is only less than 30 minutes week. So it is a something dumb I can watch on a short break in the evening.

Though...the new Castlevania spin-off was just released. But I'll probably have to wait a few weeks to binge watch it due to changing jobs and moving.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well I'm certainly enjoying your recommendation, so perhaps I should give some other anime a try too.
I would suggest starting with more "cross over" anime shows. That is just the best term I can think of to refer to anime that has broader appeal than traditional, harder core anime fans.

Castlevania, Death Note, and Attack on Titan are some of my favorites. I still have a real hard time with many of the other popular anime series. My son is really into Jo Jo's Big Adventure, but I just can't get into to. The fight scenes are impressive but I just get annoyed by the characters and it has never grabbed me enough to get into whatever plot it has. It just feels like a game of find the pop-culture reference easter eggs plus kewl bloody fight scenes. Also the heavy leaning into over the top emotion and social awkwardness in so many animes turn me off. But friend and family have been working on me for sevel years, so who knows, maybe I'll expand my tastes in my mid-50s.

Hussar

Legend
I have to admit, I'm really liking this. The story is developing and moving along nicely. Some definite.... errr... potential romance going on there.

Selganor

Adventurer
The other "gimmick" of the setting is that souls are bound to the bodies, so resurrection is easier because you don't need to recall them from somewhere...

Hussar

Legend
The other "gimmick" of the setting is that souls are bound to the bodies, so resurrection is easier because you don't need to recall them from somewhere...
Years ago, that's how I ran my mega-dungeon campaign. If PC's died, the trapped souls within the dungeon would fight it out to gain the body, which would then reincarnate as a new PC. Allowed players an easy way to switch to a different PC if the first one died. Or the second... or third... sixth... :D

Good times... good times.

Remove ads