Just saw Logan (spoilers)

tomBitonti

Adventurer
The bad guy explained that at the end in his conversation with Logan, right before Logan shot him in the face. He's been head of a program to genetically wipe out the mutant gene from the population.

Ah, ok. I caught that but didn't tie it to the timeline.

Would seem to cast Magneto in a different light. Strange that the X-Men wouldn't notice and react.

Thx!
TomB

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Would seem to cast Magneto in a different light. Strange that the X-Men wouldn't notice and react.

Well he wasn't killing them. Just ensuring no new ones would be born in the general population. It was Xavier who killed 'em off accidentally.

ccs

41st lv DM
Ah, ok. I caught that but didn't tie it to the timeline.

Thx!
TomB

I'm sure that the Xmen DID notice. Eventually. Logan & Charles mention the fact that there'd been no new mutants born in a long time. It's why Charles is so excited by Laura.

But there's no "bad guy" to punch concerning a gradually declining birth rate....
The xmen don't know what causes mutant births, so why would they realize what's causing the decline?

But the eventually revealed bad guy explains how he did it. He/they put the anti-mutant surpresant in food, water, etc. GMO crops.... Very Monsanto conspiracy inspired.
It was a good plan!
But they had to get greedy & try to manufacture thier own version of mutants. If they'd just stuck to the original plan & waited a few more years....

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Well he wasn't killing them. Just ensuring no new ones would be born in the general population. It was Xavier who killed 'em off accidentally.

It is effectively genocide. A little indirect, but the result is the same.

A nit about the suppression explanation: Affecting all conceptions or development seems impossibly hard.

Also, for the X-Men to fail to figure it out seems a stretch. They have at least two high intelligence supers. And if it were environmental there should be correlations to look for.

Not to take away too much. There is a lot of good stuff in the interactions between Xavier, Logan, and Laura.

One confusion: Did the name on Laura's chart match Logan?

Thx!
TomB

ccs

41st lv DM
A nit about the suppression explanation: Affecting all conceptions or development seems impossibly hard.

Have you read a comic book? Seen a superhero movie? That's one of the more plausible things that might occur....

Also, for the X-Men to fail to figure it out seems a stretch. They have at least two high intelligence supers. And if it were environmental there should be correlations to look for.

Well, they haven't figured out what causes the mutations in the first place....

One confusion: Did the name on Laura's chart match Logan?

Yes, it said James Howlet in the upper right corner.

Janx

Hero
Nobody seen this?

it wasn't released until yesterday here in the US.

I saw it last night.

They should have made X-24 be Victor Creed not a Logan-Clone. My wife and I both almost thought it was Creed during the initial appearance until we could get a better look at him. We'd just watched X-Men Origins and Creed had said he was going to be the one to kill Logan.

I think they could have subbed Creed in and not dramatically changed the film. Creed's hitting the green sauce to keep up, give Creed adamantium finger claws. Since Creed got adamantium later in life, it hasn't hit him as hard. And like usual Creed is always siding with the bad guys.

The other change I would make is to have a cut scene at the end during the credits, of Magneto meeting the kids at the meeting point. Very brief, but clearly a signal that he's taken on saving the Mutants.

While I would have loved to see Magneto appear and rip the adamantium out of Logan, that just wasn't in the cards.

Janx

Hero
I saw it last night. I haven't assembled my thoughts well enough to express myself coherently to present an overall opinion on the movie.

I did wonder about the movie background. I didn't catch an explanation for why no mutants in the last 25 years. Also, it seemed that Xavier had an incedent that killed a lot of people, not necessarily mutants. If that is what the comics say then no quibbles, except the event was a year ago in the movie, which makes an odd fit in the longer timeline.

I agree, I would have set the event farther back. 5 years? Just something to show that things declined a while back

What happens at the farmhouse is deplorable, and maybe partially attributable to Xavier and Logan. Still thinking about that.

Never blame people who didn't do anything wrong for what bad men do. That's what bad guys want. it's not your fault the villain shot your girlfriend, no matter how hard the villain tries to put that on you.

Next part of that: Logan learned from the first solo movie that people die around him. He wanted to leave because he had concerns. Xavier was too naive. Are we going to blame a 90 year old geezer with old-timers for wanting to stay with the nice family? Or the evil murder guys, considering there's 2 different parties of bad guys showing up to do harm at the house.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The movie was perfect as it was. I wouldn't change anything about it. There's a lot here, from aging and passing the torch to a new generation, about regret and despair, about failing to move on, an inability to connect with society, a mood of hopelessness when it comes to the poor dealing with the machinations of the powerful. So many layers here and surprisingly deep and emotional for an action film.

Remove ads