Just watched Sandman

Catolias

Explorer
If you watched it right away the finale would have been 10, and 11 would have been a surprise bonus :)

(They apparently weren't and maybe still aren't guaranteed a season 2 :.-( ).
I thought 10 was the last one. I got the feeling that 11 was true to the graphic novel / comic format where there is the bonus short story that looks unrelated but connects to the main story that you just finished

MarkB

Legend
Implied is always the best way to do horror. Let your mind fill in the gaps.
The best example I ever saw of that was an old Simpsons halloween episode, the one with the Shining parody. Crazy Homer steps out behind someone with an axe, and - since this was pre-watershed on BBC - the scene cuts straight to a reaction shot of Marge saying "Oh my. I hope that carpet was Scotchguarded." Which was far more evocative than when I later saw the scene played out in full.

MGibster

Legend
Sandman was amazing, but they messed up the end of the season. The last episode was just the Sandman doing something that could have been inserted anywhere in the season. It was anticlimactic. The episode just prior to it felt like a season ender, with Lucifer getting ready to go on the offensive. They should have swapped those two episodes.

The episode with Lucifer getting ready to rumble was the end of season one. Netflix dropped the entire first season all at once, those last two episodes with the cat and the muse were bonuses.

MGibster

Legend
Oh, I think "24/7", the episode with John Dee in the diner, is pretty adult.
It's just a typical day in your average American diner. Right?

I have to admit that I giggle a little bit when I see content warnings that includes smoking right alongside self-harm. Do we really need a content warning for smoking?

MGibster

Legend
Yes, for the same reason we don't advertise smoking to kids.
I can just picture a parent reading the warnings: "Murder? Fine. Suicide? Yeah, that's fine. Self-harm? Not a problem at all. Smoking? Oh, no! Little Johnny can't handle any smoking!"

MarkB

Legend
I can just picture a parent reading the warnings: "Murder? Fine. Suicide? Yeah, that's fine. Self-harm? Not a problem at all. Smoking? Oh, no! Little Johnny can't handle any smoking!"
Is there a reason why harmful addictive substances don't belong on that list?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Is there a reason why harmful addictive substances don't belong on that list?
I'm guessing it's the contrast with, say, Murder and Suicide, that makes it stick out. Feels like "Strong language" is even a level lower than the rest.

Remove ads