• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Keeping" feats?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
I´m not sure if this has been covered in any Sage Advice or FAQ yet (but I´m pretty sure it has, and I didn´t see it ;) ), but if anybody knows the answer, I´d be most grateful.

Can you "keep" feats for higher levels, effectively not choosing one when it´d be appropriate, but choosing it on a higher level than the one you gained it?

Jeremy

Explorer
This is one of those things not handled by the Core Rules.

As a house rule Sean K Reynolds and Monte Cook have both given an ambivalent, "If you want to survive three levels without your feats, go ahead," type answer so pretty much it is up to your individual DM. There is no precedent for it in the rules.

Talk to your DM and hash it out with pros vs. cons from both sides. Or if you are the DM, make out a list of good and bad things for both you and him if you run things this way.

IMC I allow it, though no one has used it as yet. But then, leveling is taking so long IMC that people are dying to get those feats, and when they get them, they take them right away. ;)

Xarlen

First Post
Skip ruled No.

However, I see nothing wrong with a rogue picking Weapon Finesse at 1st level, and simply waiting until 2nd to hit the qualifier.

mikebr99

Explorer
Xarlen said:
Skip ruled No.

However, I see nothing wrong with a rogue picking Weapon Finesse at 1st level, and simply waiting until 2nd to hit the qualifier.

Banking a feat slot for later filling... nope.

But filling it with something with something you aren't powerful enough to use yet... Sure.

Xarlen

First Post
Eh? That's what I thought we were talking about.

Then... what's the question? Saving an unused feat slot for a later level?

mikebr99

Explorer
Xarlen said:
Eh? That's what I thought we were talking about.

Then... what's the question? Saving an unused feat slot for a later level?

hey Xarlen...
That's what I thought he was asking... to leave a feat slot empty for a while till he met the prereqs.. or some other reason...

Remove ads