Keith Baker (creator of Eberron) Q & A thread

eternus

First Post
While you can't use UMD, you CAN use a lvl 3 infusion called "Surpress Requirement" that lets you by pass any racial, alignment, class, or ability score requirements. I would think that this would do the trick (for the duration of the infusion anyway.)

EDIT: bah... meant to quote the original post asking if you could use UMD to "fake" a dragonmark for piloting and stuff

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
eternus said:
While you can't use UMD, you CAN use a lvl 3 infusion called "Surpress Requirement" that lets you by pass any racial, alignment, class, or ability score requirements. I would think that this would do the trick (for the duration of the infusion anyway.)
Hmmm. I don't know. The reason I asked that is because I wasn't sure if dragonmark items use the power of the mark to generate the effect, or if the mark is like a key, built into the item by the House to prevent anyone that isn't marked from using it. If it's actually what's powering the item, then surpressing the requirement isn't going to help, because it still won't have a power source, as it were. If the mark is just a key, then IMO the Use Magic Device skill should be able to emulate it.

Keith's answer (and some further reading) suggested to me that it's the first one, so UMD and Surpress Requirement would both not really help. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I'd rule if I was running a game, based on what Keith said.

Volaran

First Post
Just a thought on healing in the Mournlands, but would treating wounds something like those from Vile damage be appropriate? Maybe even somewhat more severe, allowing a Hallowed or similar area be used to heal? Though given the flavour of the place, I still think I'd use minimalized healing. This also gives the characters the added problem of finding a Hallowed area to heal their wounds even after the leave the Mournlands.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
eternus said:

EDIT: bah... meant to quote the original post asking if you could use UMD to "fake" a dragonmark for piloting and stuff

Dragonmarks are Feats, does "Surpress Requirements" let you bypass Feat Requirements? (I believe the answer is no.)

That being said, on page 267 It explains how you can pilot an Elemental Vessel without a Dragonmark. (Essentially you need to talk the elemental into it.)

seankreynolds

Adventurer
Thanks, Keith, I think the "native creatures can heal just fine" is the best answer (and I don't think it merits the CR bump ... the creature isn't more of a challenge just because it can rest and heal between encounters ... though DMs should consider increasing the EL for Mournland encounters because the lack of healing available to the PCs does make high-damage encounters more difficult).

Knight Otu

First Post
MavrickWeirdo said:
Dragonmarks are Feats, does "Surpress Requirements" let you bypass Feat Requirements? (I believe the answer is no.)
Indeed, it only bypasses class feature, race, ability score, or alignment. The infusion even requires an UMD check to be used properly.

Gumby

First Post
Everything I've seen about dragonmarks implies that they're heavy parts of whatever metaplot exists/will exist in Eberron, and hence are likely untouchable as far as faking them goes, by any means.

Galen44

First Post
It looks like the last post to this thread was over a month ago. Is Keith no longer answering question on the EN World boards?

Thanks,
Galen

Knight Otu

First Post
As far as I understand, Keith was pretty swamped with work for some time, and away some other times. Thus he concentrated on the WotC forums. Maybe he'll be here again after GenCon?

Hellcow

Adventurer
Knight Otu said:
As far as I understand, Keith was pretty swamped with work for some time, and away some other times. Thus he concentrated on the WotC forums.
Unfortunately, this is the case. The amount of time I've been spending on message boards has been impacting my ability to get work done -- plus, I often have to deal with the same questions on multiple boards. So at the moment, I'm focusing on the WotC Eberron board.

I'm a big fan of ENworld, and I will certainly try to keep my eye on the threads here, but don't expect any especially quick answers.

Thanks!

Remove ads