• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keith Baker (creator of Eberron) Q & A thread

Gargoyle

Adventurer
BrooklynKnight said:
I'd just like to remind anyone watching this thread that in about an hour and a half Keith Baker, Chris Perkins, and Bill Slavicsek will be in my Eberron Chatroom to answer your questions LIVE.

Gosh BK, he's answered everyone's questions already. :)

Thanks Keith.

seankreynolds

Adventurer
I have a pair of Mournland question for you, Keith.

On page 188 it says that neither natural healing nor spells and spell-like effects do not work in the Mournland.

1) Do fast healing and regeneration count as either of those types of healing? In other words, do creatures with fast healing or regen get the benefit of those abilities in the Mournland?

2) If creatures in the Mournland cannot heal, how are there any living things there left alive at all? There are few or no natural creatures left in the Mournland, which means the monstrous things have to hunt each other in a series of predator vs predator battles. After just one or two of those, any victorious predator is going to be left with just a handful of hit points and never be able to heal them, which means they're easy prey for the next creature that gets a hit in first. Since we're talking 4 years between the destruction of Cyre and the present day, that's four years of predation and therefore a lot of fighting. I don't think there would be any predators left except for one "lucky" monster that now has only 2 hit points left from all of his battles over the past four years.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I think by natrual healing he means the healing gained from rest.

Regen and Fast Healing should still work, as does Lay on Hands. At least thats how I understand it.

As for the creatures in the Mournland.

The Mournland very much a DM Plot Device.
New creatures and monsters are appearing all the time, either mutating from something else or otherwise.

When the mournland gets more detail in products I wouldnt be suprised to see creatures with supernatrual healing abilities, and/or creatures that heal from eating other creatures (with some monstrous feat) or being healed from that pit of energy.

again, IMO.

haiiro

First Post
I wanted to wait until I'd read the Eberron CS cover to cover to ask my questions (and Keith, this is an amazing book -- one of the most engaging D&D books I've read in a long time!). Here they are:

- I found Argonth intriguing -- can you share any other details about it, or about the second mobile fortress (which the text suggests is also in Breland)? Also, just how large are these fortresses?

- What do elemental galleons actually look like? The description in the book leaves me scratching my head, for some reason.

- Do healing potions and curative wands work in the Mournlands?

- On the regional map for the Mror Holds, Korunda's Gate is marked with a symbol that doesn't appear on any of the other maps, or in the legend: a black square with a white line on top of it. Is this a misprint, or is it significant?

- In the timeline, is the year -1,000 one thousand years before the present day, 998 (IE, the year "-2"), or does it follow the BC/AD model -- which would make it 1,998 years before the present day?

Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to see what you've got in the works for this setting. :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think it means No Healing. Period. :)

And as for how natural creatures fare, I'd say pretty much how they do in the real world, where a gore doesn't really heal, either. They attack weak prey, they attack sick prey, they attack dying prey, they attack young prey...to attack that horse in the prime of it's life is suicide. To attack that old nag with some vague Mournland illness....now that's good eatin's. And much less risk, too!

Creatures evolve strategies for avoiding damage in the first place...group tactics, high Dex, high Wis, Alertness, Improved Initiative, higher HD, Toughness, Scent, Blindsense, Blindsight, high speeds....these are all symptoms of a world where one wound will kill you eventually, which is a perfect fit for the Mournlands.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Hellcow said:
This is intentional. There aren't that many high level NPCs in Eberron, and this is a PrC that you should be able to find represented in the world.

WOTC on occasion has relaxed its usual "must have 5 levels already" requirement for prestige classes in order to strengthen the flavor of the setting. The knights of Solamnia and wizards of High Sorcery in the Dragonlance Campaign setting can each take their first level of the prestige class as their 5th character level, rather than their 6th.

Cheers,
Cam

DanMcS

Explorer
haiiro said:
- In the timeline, is the year -1,000 one thousand years before the present day, 998 (IE, the year "-2"), or does it follow the BC/AD model -- which would make it 1,998 years before the present day?

That one is easy, since on the timeline, the year 1 is marked -998. -1000 is 2 years before the founding of the kingdom (the startpoint for the year-counting).

SteelDraco

First Post
Is it possible to use the Use Magic Device skill to emulate having a dragonmark for the purposes of activating mark-based magic items? For example, to fly a skyship or drive a lightning rail? If so, what's the DC?

Hellcow

Adventurer
seankreynolds said:
On page 188 it says that neither natural healing nor spells and spell-like effects do not work in the Mournland.
2) If creatures in the Mournland cannot heal, how are there any living things there left alive at all? .

The limitation on healing is something that is still being debated by the design team. I have two thoughts on the matter:
a) I believe that any creature that is native to the Mournland - whether it's a new species that has appeared since the Mourning, or a mutated being - should be immune to this effect, If you wanted to be odd about it, you could say that such creatures don't heal naturally OUT of the Mournlands; that their physiology has adapted to the unnatural nature of the region. But I agree, it would be hard to imagine such a predatory environment with no healing on the part of the native creatures, case in point, the young carcass crab in Shadows of the Last War is described as "recovering" from its battle.

b) Given that the Mournlands is as dangerous and as large as it is, I think that it is important to allow characters access to some form of healing in the region. A few possibilities: disallow natural healing and reduce any other healing effect to 50%; have their be certain regions within the Mournland (manifest zones to Irian or Lammania?) where healing still functions; or provide something rare that can be found in the Mournland itself - a warped herb, or something like that - that can be used to craft a "Mournland healing potion". The goal is to emphasize the unnatural nature of the Mournland, to challenge adventurers, and to make it a region that clearly can't be reclaimed by settlers - but the complete ban on healing may be too harsh.

seankreynolds said:
1) Do fast healing and regeneration count as either of those types of healing? In other words, do creatures with fast healing or regen get the benefit of those abilities in the Mournland?
I would apply the previous answer to this. A Mournland troll should get full benefit of its regeneration. A troll that handered into the Mournland would either get no benefit, 50% benefit, or full benefit but only in select areas, using the possibilities mentioned above.

But again, my answers are not official rulings, and an official decision on this will be forthcoming.

There are few or no natural creatures left in the Mournland, which means the monstrous things have to hunt each other in a series of predator vs predator battles. After just one or two of those, any victorious predator is going to be left with just a handful of hit points and never be able to heal them, which means they're easy prey for the next creature that gets a hit in first. Since we're talking 4 years between the destruction of Cyre and the present day, that's four years of predation and therefore a lot of fighting. I don't think there would be any predators left except for one "lucky" monster that now has only 2 hit points left from all of his battles over the past four years.[/QUOTE]

Remove ads