• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keith Baker (creator of Eberron) Q & A thread

WanderingMonster

First Post
frankthedm said:
funny?

I find it as irresponsible as the "some weapon has to be the strongest" line of the Sword and Fist author back in 3.0
Irresponsible is Dr. Spock saying, "To get your kid's hand out of jar, shatter the jar with a mallet. LOL." This is a game. No one really gets hurt. I think he was trying to be funny. As he said, he couldn't spend as much time answering questions as he liked.

I love the book, and especially love the Artificer class. I know my wife will like the Master Inquisitive PrC. I'm sure we'll be having episodes of CSI: Sharn at our gaming table!

One thing I did notice is a lack of "movers and shakers" in the world. I'm assuming this was a design choice, ala "No Elminsters!". I like it, actually. How will Eberron grow as a world. If the PCs are the movers and shakers, will we see as much advancing the plot of the campaign setting as we saw in the Realms, or Dark Sun? Or will Eberron products assume everything can take place in 998YK?

Nuddawan

First Post
Psionics

I haven't entirely made my way thru the book yet, but I've hunted for this specific answer and haven't found it yet...

As a default within the setting, do any of the player races other than the Kalashtar manifest psionic powers or is it unique to those connected to the Quori? I know that in home campaigns, the DM can decide yay or nay to this, just curious if the official material has a stance on it.

Rob

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
ironmani said:
Here's a qick question for you Kieth. Do Warforged fell pain? Or do they just acknowledge damage? I mean it would be kinda freaky for the average 1st level commoner to score a crit and say, hack off an arm, and just have the Warforge look down at his stump and then at the attacker and keep advancing. Like a terminator. Makes for intresting scenes. Warforged surviving Fireballs and marching thru the the explosion unfazed, from a pain perspective. The reason I ask, is I was cooking dinner, had some boiling water from a pot scald my finger, about as bad as a nasty sun burn, and it HURT like a mutha! :lol:

I've wondered abut this myself. I came to the conclusion that yes, the warforged can feel pain. They have to be able to feel or else they would suffer penalties on skills such as open locks and disable device.

ironmani

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
I've wondered abut this myself. I came to the conclusion that yes, the warforged can feel pain. They have to be able to feel or else they would suffer penalties on skills such as open locks and disable device.
But thats just sensory imput. A rogue Warforged could be designed to be able to feel the vibrations of a lock more acutely than a Fighter Warforged. I just want to know is if I stab a Warforged with a sword will he cry out in pain, or will he just acknowledge the damage done and continue on. Makes for an intresting scene...
"Fire at will and bring that Warforged down!"
Arrows begin to thunk into the Warforge's body, but dont slow its progress as it rushes the archers position.
"I think we need a bigger bow."
Like in T2 where the kid ask the Terminator if it hurts when he gets shot. He replied that his sensors register the impacts and that could be thought of as pain.

Driddle

First Post
Which dragonmark would Elminster be most likely to have?

Are kender considered part of the halfling family tree in Eberron?

Were Athasian defilers responsible in any way for the condition of Mournland?

When will WotC be releasing a ninja source book for Eberron?

cyferwolf

First Post
Map

I have an odd question thats been nagging at me since I got the book. I noticed on the map of eberron (in the front and back covers) that there are some lighter lines running across the whole map which seem to serve no purpose discernible. As they mostly run over the seas I origninally though they were current boundaries, but they don't seem to work for that. I was wondering if perhaps they showed where siberys is in relation to the ground, or something else altogether?

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Foist, thanks, congrats, and nice job all in one. Just can't get told that enough. ;)

Second, I wanna ask you about the Warforged -- specifically their immunities. They appear at first grok to be pretty potent, though they definately fit the Living Construct idea quite snugly. When it came to mechanically balancing them as a LA +0 PC race, was it hard to decide what elements of constructs to keep, and what to ditch? How did you decide what immunities they should have, and what did you decide would be a fitting vulnerability for them to have, though they have these strengths? Did you want to give them a Con, but still make them immune to most things requiring a Fort save? Any advice on how your typical Evil Necromancer could fight a bunch of these guys and still come out on top?

I'm curious to hear the fire and brimstone from the bovine's mouth, if you'd like.

But thanks a whole bunch for answering any Q's in this thread. Yer a stand-up bloke, Keith. :)

Remove ads