• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keith Baker (creator of Eberron) Q & A thread

qstor

Adventurer
Keith, great job too bad I'm broke and can't get it now! Lol..

Are you going to do a list of monsters that seem out of place? Or as the book says all of the monsters from the Monster Manual fit in Eberron?

Mike

Banshee16

First Post
frankthedm said:
funny?

I find it as irresponsible as the "some weapon has to be the strongest" line of the Sword and Fist author back in 3.0

What's irresponsible about that? Some weapon has to be stronger. Personally, I despise the falacy of 3E that the game designers can balance everything equally.

There are going to be better weapons. That's simply a matter of reality.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
ironmani said:
But thats just sensory imput. A rogue Warforged could be designed to be able to feel the vibrations of a lock more acutely than a Fighter Warforged. I just want to know is if I stab a Warforged with a sword will he cry out in pain, or will he just acknowledge the damage done and continue on. Makes for an intresting scene...
"Fire at will and bring that Warforged down!"
Arrows begin to thunk into the Warforge's body, but dont slow its progress as it rushes the archers position.
"I think we need a bigger bow."
Like in T2 where the kid ask the Terminator if it hurts when he gets shot. He replied that his sensors register the impacts and that could be thought of as pain.
But if they're living constructs, wouldn't they be rather different than actual robots? Funny though....on seeing them, I kind of thought of Terminators as well.

Banshee

BryonD

Hero
Banshee16 said:
What's irresponsible about that? Some weapon has to be stronger. Personally, I despise the falacy of 3E that the game designers can balance everything equally.

There are going to be better weapons. That's simply a matter of reality.

Banshee

Reality is one thing.

Good fiction is another.

Good, fun, party oriented roleplaying games are yet another.

Last edited:

derelictjay

Explorer
Eberron has made me a believer. Thanks Keith.

My biggest complaint is that I'd love to see were the XPH races fit in. For that matter where do a lot of the creatures from MM, MM2, FF and such fit in the campaign as some of the ecologies these creatures are associated with are turned upside down (ala the drow now not living underground)? Most of the MM races got fitting placements but only the dinosaurs, of the beasties, recieved specific places to live. Eh, well maybe I just like to have sound ecologies, oh well.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Nuddawan said:
As a default within the setting, do any of the player races other than the Kalashtar manifest psionic powers or is it unique to those connected to the Quori? I know that in home campaigns, the DM can decide yay or nay to this, just curious if the official material has a stance on it.

The default in the material is that it is those from Sarlona - humans, Kalashtar and Inspired. Keith has said that since there are Kalashtar enclaves across Khorvaire there is nothing to stop any race from being taught by a Kalashtar how to do it. - if you look under Regions: Riedra (p26) it says that the inspired hunt down any humans who manifest psionics. Adar (p24) shows humans and kalashtar being able to be psionic.

Cheers

buzz

Adventurer
qstor said:
Are you going to do a list of monsters that seem out of place? Or as the book says all of the monsters from the Monster Manual fit in Eberron?
I'd imagine the "if it's in D&D, it's in Eberron" philosophy applies. That's one of my favorite things about Eberron; the setting is very unique, yet it's also all core rules. :)

BryonD said:
Good, fun, party oriented rollplaying games are yet another.
Getting so spastic that you lose all sense of humor and cut so little slack to the harried designer who's being nice enough to answer questions about what is arguably one of the more momentous D&D releases ever that you're using words like "irresponsible" when talking about a role-playing game is, indeed, even yet another.

It's obvious Mr. Baker hasn't been able to get back to the boards since he made his humorous answer. How about letting him finish his day job and then, if it even matters, ask him for a serious answer?

BryonD

Hero
buzz said:
Getting so spastic that you lose all sense of humor and cut so little slack to the harried designer who's being nice enough to answer questions about what is arguably one of the more momentous D&D releases ever that you're using words like "irresponsible" when talking about a role-playing game is, indeed, even yet another.

It's obvious Mr. Baker hasn't been able to get back to the boards since he made his humorous answer. How about letting him finish his day job and then, if it even matters, ask him for a serious answer?

Overreact much?

If you calm down for a moment you just may find that I was responding to Banshee16's comment on the importance of balance.
I have not made a single comment in Keith's direction.

buzz

Adventurer
BryonD said:
If you calm down for a moment you just may find that I was responding to Banshee16's comment on the importance of balance.
I have not made a single comment in Keith's direction.
It seemed implied that you agreed that the PrC in question was unbalanced and that you agreed with frankthedm that Keith was being irresponsible for not taking the question deadly seriously.

If this is not the case, I apologize for any bile that got spewed your way, or for derailing an otherwise wonderful thread. I guess I'm still in a fanboy froth from the original overreaction. My bad! :eek:

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads