• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kensai Question

Khelvan

First Post
If you have a Kensai that is using the two Weapon fighting route.
Can he make more then one signature Weapon?
The class doesnt prohibit it but it doesnt say so explicit.
Therefore whats your opinion?

Thanks

Khelvan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RAW proponents would probably not approve, but I don't see a problem with it, esp. with Drowbane's suggestion of using double-weapon pricing.

czak808

First Post
The text does state "a signature weapon" without any indication of plurality. The term "signature" tends to identify one weapon for which the kensai is renowned for; Arthur & Excaliber, Jedi & their light sabers (they get bonus' for using the weapon they crafted), etc...

I would not allow the kensai to create two signature weapons. The xp cost is a pretty good deterrent, but by 15th level, the character could potentially have two +10 weapons...
And, purchasing a complementary weapon would not be that difficult. Especially when he's paying nothing (in gold) for his primary weapon.

Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

gnfnrf

First Post
"The kensai chooses one of his weapons to become a signature weapon."

One weapon. Not two. If you wanted to, you could use the double weapon rules, but I would be wary, as two weapons have far more flexibility than one double weapon.

--
gnfnrf

Storme

First Post
No. If he has a double weapon then he can enhance both ends, but even this is a single weapon.

He can't enhance two weapons. It clearly states that.

There's nothing wrong with him using two weapons though. Only one will be his signature, probably the one in his primary hand.

Khelvan

First Post
Thanks

for the answers. That clarfies the PrC.
Was thinking about combining a Priest of a War good with the PrC.
Would mean taking 7 Cleric Levels and then going down the Kensai route alternating with Cl levels.
What do you think, about this build idea?

Khelvan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"The kensai chooses one of his weapons to become a signature weapon."

One weapon. Not two.

GAHH! I can't believe I missed that! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What do you think, about this build idea?
It depends on your PC's goals.

If you just want a "Holy Head-Knocker" and aren't too concerned about caster levels, consider going:

1) Ftr2/Clc4/Kensai1
2) Pal2/Clc4/Kensai1
3) Pal4/Clc2/Kensai1
2) Pal5*/Kensai2
3) Ftr4/Pal1/Kensai2

for your first 7 levels.

* Other classes that can qualify for Kensai in 5 levels: Samurai (OA or CompWar), Hexblade (CompWar, LN or LE), Soulborn (MoI, LG only), and the Crusader (Bo9S)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads