• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Killing Time Before 4e Comes Out

Fobok

First Post
I'll be continuing to play M&M 2e and SWSE online until 4e comes out... and probably after as well. (I doubt those games, since they aren't D&D, will be ending when 4e comes out. I'll just have to find a new game for D&D.)

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
GoodKingJayIII said:
So what you're telling me is that when 4e comes out you'll and your players will be converting old characters and continuing your story hour? ;)
What I hope he means is that instead until 4e comes out he's going to spend his time getting caught up on his story hour. :D

TavernBrawler

First Post
breschau said:
The last D&D campaign I played in used 1st Edition rules with the proficiencies/skills from 2nd Edition.

This is what I am currently planning to run. I am going to use the 1E Forgotten
Realms boxed set and none of the "canon" events past 1357DR.

Samnell

Explorer
Sepulchrave II said:
Has anyone else felt the urge to play an earlier edition with 4E now on the horizon?

Despite loving your story hour with all its dripping 1e setting elements, no. I stopped playing D&D years before d20 hit, and I have no desire to return to what was before. I was just looking at a 2e rulebook a few nights ago in search of some demographics information and in the process of looking for the numbers I wanted was aggravated several times by the pre-d20 setting assumptions, let alone the rules.

Are you bored? How are you going to kill time before 4E comes out?

I've been meaning to reread this story hour about a paladin, a succubus, heresy, and fiends.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Sepulchrave II said:
I've lost all interest in 3.5, as I'm too excited by the prospect of 4E.
[...]
Don't tell folks on this board you have time to kill.

They'll just tell you to finish your story hour. :)

Cheers, -- N

Imaro

Legend
Well right now I'm playing Monte Cook's World of Darknes...and me and my player's are having a blast. We probably won't be wrapping this campaign up until spring '08.

I will say that right now D&D 4e is vying with Mongoose's Runequest for my money(especially their Eternal Champions line). I like swords and sorcery and D&D seems to be getting further and further from what I envision that genre to be like. Runequest on the other hand(especially with their free Player's Update document) seems more geared towards what I want. Just as much tactical play as D&D but the rules were easier for me to grasp and remember. I really don't think I will be as into D&D 4e as I was 3.0, I will probably purchase the core books...but if I'm pressed then Runequest wins out, especially if they bring out their deluxe edition before or at the same time.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Sepulchrave II said:
Has anyone else felt the urge to play an earlier edition with 4E now on the horizon? Maybe I want to understand 4E in the context of the whole game, not just 3.x.

I don't have any time to kill :) My group meets so infrequently now that we're not even going to be done with our current campaign by the time 4e hits the shelves anyway (unless my players do something stupid and walk into a TPK. They haven't done that for a looooong time, so we may be due soon).

OTOH - I wish I had time to run an older game. I was thumbing through my Metzner edition Basic set this weekend (comparing the Castle Mistamere adventure in the Basic DMG to the one in the last issue of Dungeon, mostly), and I was really surprised at how well the Basic game looks like it might hold up. I tried to play in a 2e game a couple of years back and it was so painful that I'd rather have my teeth pulled than try it again. But the Basic set game still looks very tempting. I'd love to have the time to break out The Keep on the Borderlands and run the PCs through it.

(The thing that amused me the most about the Basic set was probably the stat blocks for monsters in the Basic DMG. They were so tiny - almost a dozen monsters on a single page in some cases. And the dragons were mostly ready-to-use right off the page, unless you rolled a "talking" dragon on the "percent to talk" chart - then you had to pick some magic-user spells to use with it. Dead simple stuff.)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Sepulchrave II said:
I've lost all interest in 3.5, as I'm too excited by the prospect of 4E. I was going to start another game soon, and I'm thinking about 1E, or B/X. Or buying Holmes - I've never played an edition that early.

I've got nice copies of the 1E hardcovers - I replaced them all when I moved to the 'States. The smell of the binding takes me back and I get all nostalgic. :)

Has anyone else felt the urge to play an earlier edition with 4E now on the horizon? Maybe I want to understand 4E in the context of the whole game, not just 3.x.

Holmes kinda sucks, IMHO. It was designed for kids where OD&D, B/X, and BECMI are not so much.

Our OD&D game is still going strong. I think 45 sessions now. That isn't going to change. I can say that viewing 4th edition from an OD&Der's perspective, it does sound like it will become more like earlier versions in some ways, and less like any previous version in others. What sucks is it may make things more enjoyable to play only to leave out the possibility of the playstyle we are used to.

Not bored, interested with 4E. I'll keep playing and enjoying games already out the last 33 years. We're having a big weekend getaway in November too, to play some cool one-offs. I'm running Dread Cthulhu.
diablotin.gif

Remove ads