Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide Stuff

Chacal

First Post
Marshall said:
he Basiran Dancer- Bard+1/2 the FTR bonus feats+Free Finesse+ Several decent special abilities
Having the bard spellcasting progression is not the same thing as being a bard :
1-No bardic abilities

2- 2 or 3 times shorter spelllist.
It stills know the same number of spells, but has lost much of the bard flexibility
(no cure...)

3- besides the bonus feats (I agree they probably should have been less, but D6 hitdices don't let him take the fighter role

Brigand-FTR BAB+Full Rogue Sneak Attack+Evasion+UD+Decent Special Abilities
ROGUE BAB - 2/3 Rogue sneak attack

Half rogue skill points
Giving half your skill points and UMD to get a few not-so-great abilities is a loss IMO

Gladiator-FTR BAB+2 Good Saves+Innate Spell Like Abilities+Wicked Damage Bonuses(Note: not the worst offender, but not balanced either)
Fun :) This one is quite the worst offender to me: giving up medium and heavy armor to get Good saves and really good abilities
is a bit much for my taste

Infiltrator-Single Class RNG/ROG/DRD/BRB combination- All the best of each class throw together into one, at least it doesnt cast spells.

I can see it as a rogue (D6) with 2/3 sneak attack, half skill points and that can move fast.

Shaman- DRD with a Domain(Hey its almost balanced)

with only one type of shapechange, WIZ BAB, only one Good Save.

Spellsinger- The Abovementioned WIZ class, Just plain weak.

agreed. 2 less spell cast than a sorcerer
at each level.

It really looks like we didn't see the same book, huh ?

Chacal

Marshall

First Post
Chacal said:

It really looks like we didn't see the same book, huh ?

Chacal

Could be, I'm looking at it pre eratta.

As to the Brigand, My book says +0 BAB at 1st, 1/lvl after. Thats FTR to me...

Mortaneus

First Post
Charm person? Fireball? Hold Person?

The single best use of Irresistable Spell is with Polymorph Other.

*poof* You're a goldfish. No save.

As for SR, gimme a break. SR is worthless against a decent spellcaster. Especially when they hit the 12+ area. Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, and you're going to laugh at most SR's. Items that give you SR are absurdly expensive for the amount you get. +5 for a 19? Sheesh, that's pathetic. by the time you have a +5 special ability on your armor, the mages need to roll a 2 to punch through that. The only things that have halfway decent SR are monks, celestials, and the tarrasque.

As for increasing the spell DC by +2 per spell level increase, umm...then what's the point of heighten spell (not that anyone really ever takes it)?

Anyway, the classes aren't that bad. If you want to see REAL munchkin, check out the pirate from swashbuckling adventures.

Last edited:

I agree with you that monster SR is not much of a deterrent versus higher level players..unless you are dealing versus other player-types as monsters/NPCs. A high level cleric with Spell Resistance cast up (not Shield of Law or it's equivalent) is not to be trifled with imho.

Hadn't concidered Irresistable Phantasmal Killer, but I'd assume it is only the initial Will save that is changed to "None" but you'd still get the Fort save...or at least that's how I'd run it.

And Irr...Poly Other is spooky, but not impossible once again. Ya just have to have a well-run and efficient "all for one and one for all" party.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled propaganda.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Mortaneus said:
As for increasing the spell DC by +2 per spell level increase, umm...then what's the point of heighten spell (not that anyone really ever takes it)?

I thought that feat was +1 per increased level, and applies to both DC and beating SR. The proposed feat is +2 per increased level, but does not apply to beating SR. Slight difference, I grant you.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I thought that feat was +1 per increased level, and applies to both DC and beating SR. The proposed feat is +2 per increased level, but does not apply to beating SR.

Might want to check your sources again. The SRD reads:

Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a minor globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.

Nothing there about SR.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Cheiromancer said:

Might want to check your sources again. The SRD reads:

Nothing there about SR.

I stand corrected. So it does the same thing proposed, only weaker (+1 DC per increased level). No wonder nobody takes it!

Mortaneus

First Post
Mistwell said:

I thought that feat was +1 per increased level, and applies to both DC and beating SR. The proposed feat is +2 per increased level, but does not apply to beating SR. Slight difference, I grant you.

Ummm....heighten only increases the effective level of the spell. That bumps DC, but spell penetration has nothing to do with spell level. It's only a caster level check.

Remove ads