Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide Stuff

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Mortaneus said:

Ummm....heighten only increases the effective level of the spell. That bumps DC, but spell penetration has nothing to do with spell level. It's only a caster level check.

Yes, that would be the "I stand corrected" post, right above yours.

Marshall

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Then I guess you cannot read.

Is this supposed to mean something? The book says what it says FTR BAB starting at 2nd level. Its sh**loads better than rogue, and is a contributing factor to a broken class.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sigh. Is it me, or are others also tired of some people calling things "broken" when they really mean "in my not so humble opinion, I think this thing is slightly more powerful than other similar things"?

Last edited:

Chacal

First Post
Marshall said:

Could be, I'm looking at it pre eratta.

As to the Brigand, My book says +0 BAB at 1st, 1/lvl after. Thats FTR to me...

Sorry, I got confused by the non-standard BAB progression. I should have look more carefully, but your post was so negative that I had an urge to answer it :)

By the way I prefer easy formulas for BAB and saves, what's the formula for its Fort
saves ? ? (strange at levels 13-16))

back to the subtopic:

From the rogue point of view it exchanges 4 skill points , UMD, some class skills (listen, tumble...), abit of the Sneak attack to get a D8, near the fighter BAB, and exchange high-level rogue special abilities for bonus feats. (also, evasion wouldn't work very often with a quasi Low+1 Ref save )

From the fighter p.o.v it's a loss in HD, armor, some weapons, and more specific -feat like ability, to get sneak attack and +2 skill points. Starting at level 11, I'd say that the brigand has too much abilities and feats. (As a house rule, I'd remove the 14th level feat)

(But I also think the fighter should have had some non -feat special abilities after 10th level)

Chacal

Gumby

First Post
For those of you worried about the Brigand's BAB, take a look at the chart on page 35 - Base save and attack bonuses. The Brigand is listed there as having a 3/4 BAB. I assume the other BAB chart for the Brigand is from a rough draft.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Gumby said:
For those of you worried about the Brigand's BAB, take a look at the chart on page 35 - Base save and attack bonuses. The Brigand is listed there as having a 3/4 BAB. I assume the other BAB chart for the Brigand is from a rough draft.

Yea, I noticed that, too.

I think that they meant to use the usual progressions. At least I hope it: I don't like nonstandard progressions. It complicates matters unneccesarily. The only "nonstandard" progression I actually find OK is the medium Save bonus, as employed in Star Wars d20 (and probably in a lot of d20 products as well), but that follows a pattern, too.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The feats section is big, though there are indeed some feats that should not be:
Awareness: No sneak attack when you're flanked. I could _maybe_ se that as an epic feat, but otherwise it's something reserved for Uncanny Dodge!
Child of the Earth: Con bonus as a luck bonus to all saves. That can easily outpace lightning reflexes, iron will and great fort!
Commanding Presence: frighten (will DC 10 +cha) as a free action gaze attack.
Expert Timing: you deley your action but retain your normal initiative. This practically enables you to wait just before your next turn and then take two turns at once. This leads to real bad spell or attack combos.
eyes of fury: enemies make save or are shaken. usable once a round as a free action. would be ok if it's use were restricted to x/day, but you can to it anytime!
Iron Touch: the crit multiplier on attacks against you is 1 lower.
Irresistable Spell: enough said already.
Sense Danger: You can sense anyone attacking you within 30 ft.
Skill Prodigy: Turn INT restricted skills into cross-class skills or cross class skills into class skills. I'd allow the latter, but exclusive is exclusive!
Tough as Nails: weapons attacking you take damage.

Also, the skill-bonus-granting feats are a little weird: sometimes you only get a +2 bonus, sometimes it's +4.

Remove ads