• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Humanoids + Templates = Fun" Thread (Retired)

Devon

First Post
One time I created a templated creature and although the template didn't call for it, its new type would have lowered its BAB -- I had to just ignore it. I think it was the move from Monstrous Humanoid to Aberration (I may have been using the Insectile template).

I don't know -- has that been the unwritten rule of templates that you retroactively apply its type traits?

- Devon

Krishnath

First Post
I don't know, I just do it anyways. But then again I usually let the templated creature keep the better creature type of the base creature/template. For example, a Half-Troll Balor, should still be an outsider IMHO. But then again, I always have the undead type override any creature type that might otherwise be applied. I do the same with the outsider and dragon types, except in the case they would come into conflict with the undead type (which takes predescense), or each other, where I go with the one that makes most sense. :D

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
As far as I know you don't retro fit stuff unless it says so, if it says "same as base creature" you just leave it as is I think. (And since I'm lazy, it works for me :D

Krishnath

First Post
Well, Although the templates usually doesn't 'retrofit' the base creature. Most of WotC's sample creatures are retro-fitted anyways. Of course, when retro-fitting, I ignore class levels, unless the template makes the creature an undead of course. And even then I usually skip the saves. :D

Krishnath

First Post
I must say, I like the Trader class, although I have a few comments (you know I would :D). I think you could drop the sea trader and planar trader entries without weakening the class. Instead I suggest you make them Prestige Classes. For example, the planar trader (PrC) would be a 5 or 10 level prestige class that would give Planeshift ( only to the outlands at first, eventually to any inner or outer plane) a number of times per day, as well as resistance bonuses against elemental energies. The sea trader (PrC) would get seafearing bonuses, and eventually get a ship and stuff. :D But that's probably just me.

-

Also, I have an idea for some templated lizardfolk variants, I think I'll start posting them next week. Keep an eye out. :D

Remove ads