• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knockback and occupied squares

Drew Baker

First Post
The fighter/rogue in our game recently got a sword with the knockback special ability from The Arms and Equipment Guide:

Knockback: A weapon with this ability can drive its targets back. On a successful hit, the target of the attack must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 19) or be knocked back 10 feet. If the target can't move back 10 feet, it instead falls to the ground. If the first save fails, the target must succeed on another Fortitude save (DC 19), or be stunned for 1 round. Knockback weapons work only on creatures of the wielder's size or smaller.

How do -- or would -- you handle a creature being knocked into or through an occupied square? Would the occupied square simply stop the knockback victim from moving its 10 feet and thus fall prone, regardless of whether the occupant is an enemy or ally? Would you treat the knockback victim as making an overrun attempt against the creature in the square, using only its size modifier (no roll) for the contested strength check if the occupant chooses to block?

I look forward to your advice. Thanks,

--Drew

Drew Baker

First Post
Telperion said:
If you are forcefully knocked into an occupied space then you end up prone in the square you started from.

Is that clearly stated anywhere? I haven't seen it, but I'm probably not looking in the right place.

Thanks,

--Drew

TracerBullet42

First Post
That knockback ability sounds incredibly powerful...what's the "+" cost of it?

A knockback-ing reach weapon....phew. That'd be nasty. Combine that with Combat Reflexes and nothing gets near you...

And it'd only get worse if a Large creature is weilding it...wow.

Drew Baker

First Post
Telperion said:
Don't have the book right now, but I would suggest looking under "bull rush". That would probably give you some idea.

I've looked under Bull Rush, Overrun, tactical movement, movement while grappling, and everything else I had that seemed related. I've checked the faqs and the Wizard's message boards, and found nothing on the subject.

I expect your answer is the one I would have found, but I would have liked to find it.

Thanks,

--Drew

Telperion

First Post
The line that you are looking for is in fact in Bull Rush (last line of the pharagraph titled "Bull Rush Results"), as well as in a few other places. The thing is that it doesn't state what happens to an opponent if you Bull Rush him into an occupied space. I would suggest using movement rules here:

"A character or creature can move trough a square occupied by a friendly character or creature, but it can't end its move in an occupied square, and it can't charge trough that square, either. You can't move trough a square occupied by a nonfriendly or hostile creature"

Keeping that quote, PHB page 148, in mind I would say that if you are bull rushed into a square that is occupied by a friendly character or creature, then that character/creature can let you pass without a problem.

If however you are bull rushed into a square that is occupied by a nonfriendly or hostile character/creature, then you fall prone on the square right in front of said character/creature.

Last edited:

Remove ads