D&D 5E Kobold Press' Tome of Beasts Joins D&D Beyond

400 monsters for D&D 5E.

638459347386150459.jpeg

Tome of Beasts is the latest third party book to appear on D&D Beyond. The book, first published by Kobold Press in 2016, contains over 400 monsters for D&D 5E.

You can pick it up on DDB for $39.99.

Whether you need dungeon vermin or world-shaking villains, Tome of Beasts 1 has it. This book presents foes suitable for any campaign setting—from tiny drakes and peculiar spiders to demon lords and ancient dragons.

These monsters have been designed so that GMs can use them in their favorite settings for fantasy adventure. This monstrous tome contains:
  • More than 400 new monsters for use with the D&D Beyond Encounters tool.
  • Updated with errata, streamlined mechanics, and new monster art from the original Tome of Beasts.
  • Expansive tables that organize creatures by challenge rating, creature type, and terrain.[/callout[

Dire Bare

Legend
They're on Demiplane too.
D&D Beyond is starting to outpace Demiplane with the number of non-WotC D&D 5E titles.

I was excited when Demiplane launched its "5E Nexus" and with the initial titles, but I've been disappointed we haven't seen more titles added.

I'm still excited to use Demiplane for non-D&D games like Candela Obscura, Daggerheart, and the new Avatar RPG! If we get a new Mage: the Awakening from White Wolf, and it ends up on Demiplane, I'll be there for that on Day One!

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Oh, it looks like this is the updated Tome of Beasts they released last year, if the cover art is anything to go by. Pretty exciting. The Tome of Beasts series and the Creature Codex are the only Kobold Press books I own, but I enjoy many of these creatures and often also pluck features from these monsters to combine with stat blocks from other books to.

Dire Bare

Legend
Oh, it looks like this is the updated Tome of Beasts they released last year, if the cover art is anything to go by. Pretty exciting. The Tome of Beasts series and the Creature Codex are the only Kobold Press books I own, but I enjoy many of these creatures and often also pluck features from these monsters to combine with stat blocks from other books to.
It is.

The original book is titled simply "Tome of Beasts" where the updated title is "Tome of Beasts I".

The quoted blurb in the OP doesn't call it out explicitly, but the second bullet point explains this is updated from the original Tome of Beasts.

Dire Bare

Legend
I wonder if this is a sign of things to come or is it just going to be the handful of relatively large 3PPs? In any case, good news, I can use the monsters from Kobold Press as custom monsters (or just run from the book of course) but I tend to forget about them when I'm looking at options for encounters.
I suspect we'll see a lot more non-WotC titles being added to D&D Beyond, but . . . the pattern so far is one or two titles per publisher at first. I get the feeling we'll see books from other publishers before we get additional books from Kobold or Ghostfire Games.

I'm impatient . . . I want it all added NOW!!! The full Kobold 5E range! :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
giphy.gif

A very nice surprise, since Kobold Press is 100% one of the competitors the OGL fiasco was aimed at kneecapping. But this is a huge win for DMs, who are going to find it easier than ever to integrate one of the best-regarded sets of monsters for 5E in their games.

Now, WotC, who do we have to talk to about getting Monster Manual Expanded already?

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads