• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobolds: Life's little failures

Sporemine

First Post
Hello people, welcome to the new thread.

For any of you who are familiar with my previous thread, the undead, Mesh Hong has gone to the trouble of turning it into a pdf/book. Make sure to see it.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...56588-book-dead-monster-manual-mesh-hong.html

The new thread is about one of my favourite monsters, kobolds.

They're fun because they pose no threat whatsoever to anybody. That's good up until lv. 2. After that they are too weak to do ANYTHING.

This thread focuses on new kobold varieties, which are now seperated into groups for easy lookup:

Finished

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Using my steps for creating http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/256436-throngs.html, here is a throng of kobold skirmishers:

Kobold Raiders / Level 6 Skirmisher
Huge natural humanoid (throng) / XP 250

Initiative +2 / Senses Perception +2; darkvision
Constant Stabbing aura 1; the kobolds makes a spear attack against any creature that starts its turn in the aura.
HP 67; Bloodied 33; see walking wounded
AC 20; Fortitude 16, Reflex 19, Will 18
Immune forced movement from melee and ranged attacks; Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks.
Speed 6; see throng movement

:bmelee: Spear (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+11 vs. AC; 1d10 + 2 damage.
Combat Advantage
The kobold raiders gain a +2 attack bonus (in addition to the normal +2 bonus) and deal an extra 2d6 damage against any target they have combat advantage against.
Throng Movement
The kobold raiders can enter or move through an enemy’s space; this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks. An enemy can enter a space occupied by the kobolds, but the space is considered difficult terrain, and doing so provokes an opportunity attack from the kobold raiders. The kobolds have combat advantage against any creature occupying their space. The kobold raiders can squeeze through any space large enough for a small creature.
Multiple Creatures
The kobold raiders count as up to 6 separate creatures for the purpose of attacks that target or affect multiple separate creatures.
Walking Wounded
The first time the kobold raiders becomes bloodied, they becomes smaller by one size category, and take a -2 penalty to all defenses for the rest of the encounter.

Alignment Evil / Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Acrobatics +9, Stealth +11, Thievery +11
Str 8 (+1) Dex 16 (+5) Wis 10 (+2)
Con 11 (+2) Int 6 (+0) Cha 15 (+4)
Equipment hide armors, spears

Here is a throng of kobold minions:

Kobold Drove / Level 12 Minion
Gargantuan natural humanoid (throng) / XP 175

Initiative +8 / Senses Perception +7; darkvision
Constant Stabbing aura 1; the kobolds make a javelin attack against any creature that starts its turn in the aura.
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 26; Fortitude 22, Reflex 24, Will 22; see also trap sense
Immune forced movement from melee and ranged attacks; Resist 16 all; half damage from melee and ranged attacks
Speed 6; see also throng movement

:bmelee: Javelin (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+16 vs. AC; 11 damage.
:area: Javelin Volley (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
Area burst 1 within 10; +16 vs. AC; 11 damage. Miss: 5 damage.
Throng Movement
The kobold drove can enter or move through an enemy’s space; this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks. An enemy can enter a space occupied by the kobolds, but the space is considered difficult terrain, and doing so provokes an opportunity attack from the kobolds. The kobolds have combat advantage against any creature occupying their space. The kobold drove can squeeze through any space large enough for a small creature.
Multiple Creatures
The kobold drove counts as up to 12 separate creatures for the purpose of attacks that target or affect multiple separate creatures.

Alignment Evil / Languages Common, Draconic
Skills Stealth +9, Thievery +9
Str 8 (+4) Dex 16 (+8) Wis 12 (+6)
Con 12 (+6) Int 9 (+4) Cha 10 (+5)
Equipment hide armors, light shields, many javelins

Last edited:

Sporemine

First Post
Good job.

I like the fact that the swarm is a minion, that will help simulate an army of kobolds. Anything else you might think of in the way of kobolds is good, even ideas. Go ahead and post them.

Thanks for the kobolds

-Sporemine

Sporemine

First Post
A'ight kobold ooze is finished.

Kobold Ooze
Level 6 Elite Brute
Large Natural Beast (Blind,Ooze)
XP 500
Initiative +6
Senses Perception +6, Blindsight, Tremorsense
HP 86;
Bloodied 43
AC 20; Fortitude 20, Reflex 18, Will 16
Immune Gaze;
Resist 10 Acid
Speed 4, climb 4
Action Points 1

Melt (Standard; at-will)+7 Vs. Fortitude; 2d6+6 Acid damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to fortitude defense each time it hits (multiple hits stack, save ends)

Flowing bodyThe Kobold Ooze ignores difficult terrain and does not provoke opportunity attacks by moving.

Split (When the Kobold ooze is hit by a weapon attack or trapl; at-will)A kobold ooze spawn appears in an adjacent square or the nearest unoccupied square.

KoboldyThere is a 50% chance that an attack made by a trap will miss the kobold ooze completely.

Shifty (Minor; at-will)The Kobold ooze shifts one square.
Alignment Unaligned
Languages None, Understands Draconic
Str 20 (+8)Dex 18 (+7)Wis 14 (+5)Con 18 (+7)Int 6 (+1)Cha 16 (+6)Equipment None

Kobold Ooze Spawn
Level 6 Minion
Small Natural Beast (Ooze,Blind)
XP 62
Initiative +6
Senses Perception +6
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 20; Fortitude 20, Reflex 18, Will 16 Immune Acid, Gaze
Speed Speed 4, Climb 4M

Melt (Standard; at-will)+4 Vs. Fortitude; 1d6+3 Acid damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to fortitude defense each time it hits (multiple hits stack, save ends)

Koboldy There is a 50% chance that an attack made by a trap will miss the kobold ooze spawn completely.Shifty (Minor; at-will)The Kobold ooze spawn shifts one square.

Flowing body The Kobold Ooze spawn ignores difficult terrain and does not provoke opportunity attacks by moving.
Alignment Unaligned
Languages None, Commanded by creating Ooze
Str 20 (+8)Dex 20 (+8)Wis 16 (+6)Con 16 (+6)Int 1 (-2)Cha 16 (+6)Equipment None

Kobold Ooze Lore
A character knows the following information with a successful Nature check.

DC 15: The kobold is usually found in and around dungeons where kobolds lurk. They will never attack kobolds. Thye are very acidic and can eat through rock if given the time.

DC 20: When hit, the kobold
ooze will drop small peices of itself. These peices then begin attacking the attacker. Cumulative spawn attacking all but the largest creatures will soon reduce it to a thin mush.

Need feedback - My spidey senses are telling me its overpowered. I can't see why though.

-Sporemine

Neubert

First Post
Just a few comments:

I don't like that the ooze has 50% chance to be affected by a trap - that just involves another roll (first the attack roll and then the percent roll). Instead I would give it a flat modifier to defenses, just like a regular kobold.

The elite ooze removes 2 fortitude on a hit with a basic attack, I would reduce the penalty to 1 since it is stacking.

Sporemine

First Post
Kobold Ooze
Level 6 Elite Brute
Large Natural Beast (Blind,Ooze)
XP 500
Initiative +6
Senses Perception +6, Blindsight, Tremorsense
HP 86;
Bloodied 43
AC 19; Fortitude 18, Reflex 18, Will 16
Immune Gaze; Acid
Speed 4, climb 4
Action Points 1

Melt (Standard; at-will)+7 Vs. Fortitude; 2d6+6 Acid damage and the target takes a -1 penalty to fortitude defense each time it hits (multiple hits stack, save ends)

Flowing body The Kobold Ooze ignores difficult terrain and does not provoke opportunity attacks by moving.

Split (When the Kobold ooze is hit by a weapon attack or trap; at-will)A kobold ooze spawn appears in an adjacent square or the nearest unoccupied square.

Koboldy There is a 50% chance that an attack made by a trap will miss the kobold ooze completely. The kobold ooze will never trigger any kind of trap.

Shifty (Minor; at-will) The Kobold ooze shifts one square.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages None, Understands Draconic
Str 20 (+8) Dex 18 (+7) Wis 14 (+5) Con 18 (+7) Int 6 (+1) Cha 16(+6)
Equipment None

Ok I fixed the melt attack but the 50% trap dodging needs to stay.

This monster is ideal to have in a room that has traps going off all the time; there to hamper pc's while taking very few hits on it's own. I also added that the ooze will not set off traps - a must if they are to be used in trapped rooms. I changed acid resistance to acid immunity and reduced it's ac and fortitude.

Several other things, the thread has started off well but needs more creators (Kudos for posting kobolds before I did 77IM). If you don't feel like creating a kobold, give another idea for the master list in the first post like erictheguy. The tool used to create the kobold ooze was the Asmor Monster Maker It is an auto stat calculator that builds stat blocks like the ones seen in the monster manual (It's a pain to import images here so I copy pasted.)

By the way eric, if you own the monster manual 4e look up Kobold wyrmpreist, it is very sorcerer like. If that's not what you meant, post again telling me what powers stats and abilities you want.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback, I appreciate it and all is welcome.

Kudos

-Sporemine

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Here are a couple of kobold stat blocks that I've used in my Fall of Civilization campaign. (References to the Six-Fingered Hand refer to a huge alliance of kobolds, goblinoids, gnolls, orcs, ogres and lizardfolk. This could easily be changed to "allies" or "other kobolds".)

KOBOLD FACILITATOR--- Level 1 Controller (Leader)
Small natural humanoid--- XP 100
---
Initiative +2; Senses Perception +1; darkvision
Voice of the Six-Fingered Hand aura 8; all members of the Six-Fingered Hand within the aura that the kobold facilitator has line of sight to are able to communicate with each other freely.
HP 25; Bloodied 12
AC 15; Fortitude 11; Reflex 14; Will 15
Speed 6
---
[Melee basic] Spear (standard; at will) Weapon: +6 vs. AC; 1d6 damage.

[Area] The Hand Thrusts Forward
(standard; encounter): Burst 3 within 6; all allies in the burst may shift 2 squares and make a basic attack.

[Area] Name of the Hand (standard; encounter) Fear: Invoking the name of the Six-Fingered Hand, the kobold facilitator strikes fear in the hearts of his enemies. Burst 2 within 5; targets enemies; +3 vs. Will; Hit: target is pushed 4 squares; Miss: target is pushed 1 square.
---
Alignment evil; Languages Common, Draconic, Giant, Goblin
Skills Diplomacy +8, Insight +6, Stealth +7, Thievery +7
Str 8; Dex 15; Wis 12
Con 9; Int 12; Cha 17
---
Equipment leather armor, spear

SHARM THE TERRIBLE--- Level 15 Elite Skirmisher

Small natural humanoid (kobold)--- XP 2400
---
Initiative +18; Senses Perception +9; low-light vision
HP 286; Bloodied 143
AC 31; Fortitude 28; Reflex 31; Will 25
Saving Throws +2
Speed 7
Action Points 1
---
[Melee basic] Scimitar (standard; at will) Weapon: +20 vs. AC; 2d6+7 damage.

[Melee] Painful Slash (standard; at will) Weapon: +20 vs. AC; 2d6+7 damage, plus target is slowed until the end of its next turn.

[Melee] Double Strike (standard; at will) Weapon: Sharm the Terrible makes two painful slash attacks.

[Melee] Spring Attack (standard; recharge 6): Sharm the Terrible moves up to his speed. At any point during his move, he may make a basic attack. He does not trigger opportunity attacks from the target by moving.

[Close] Kobold Whirlwind (standard; recharges when Sharm uses tumbling move) Weapon: Close burst 1; targets each enemy in burst; Hit: +18 vs. AC; 5d6+7 damage. Effect: Sharm slides one of the targets 1 square.

[Melee] Draw the X (immediate reaction; when first bloodied; encounter) Weapon: Requires 2 scimitars. Sharm the Terrible makes 2 basic attacks on the creature that bloodies it. If both attacks hit, he deals an extra 2d6 damage and the target takes ongoing 10 (save ends).

Tumbling Move (move; recharge 5 6): Sharm the Terrible shifts up to his speed. He may shift through squares occupied by enemies during this action.

Shifty (minor; at will): Sharm the Terrible shifts one square.
---
Alignment evil; Languages Common, Goblin, Draconic
Skills Stealth +19, Thievery +19
Str 16; Dex 24; Wis 15
Con 15; Int 19; Cha 20
---
Equipment leather armor, 2 scimitars

Mesh Hong

First Post
I will try and help out in this thread when I get a free 5 mins.

Until then, I think my initial reaction is to agree with Neubert, the Koboldy power doesn't seem right. The blanket statement it never sets off any traps just cannot be true. I can see the reasoning that these could be used in trap rooms but those trap rooms would surely be built with the Ooze in mind so would contain traps that the Ooze naturally wouldn't set off (or was immune to), to say that it cannot be affected by any trap in the world see a bit sloppy.

I would probably give it something like:

Hightened Trap Sense
Ooze gains a +4 bonus to all defences against traps.

I would back this up with the following fluff:

Kobold Oozes are bred with the same cunning as their namesakes and have a sufficient level of common sense and survival instinct to memorise their homes with perfect accuracy. If an Ooze spends 24 hours exploring a location it learns the location, trigger and effect of all traps. Some experienced Oozes also learn to use these traps against incomming threats, these Oozes are highly prized amongst Kobold Ooze Wardens.

I would also give the Ooze the Thievery Skill, though I obviously wouldn't let it disarm a trap, open a lock or pick someones pocket! :D

Mesh Hong

First Post
OK here is a little something to get the ball rolling, a Kobold Trap Master.

Trap Masters are responsible for building and maintaining the elaborate series of traps that are constructed in Kobold warrens. In dire emergencies it is the Trap Masters job to head to the front lines and keep the traps working, even if that means getting his hands dirty and pushing a few hapless adventurers into them himself.

Trap Masters have not unreasonably developed a keen sense of self preservation that helps them avoid traps they did not make themselves and also guides them to retreat and regroup as soon as a fight turns sour. They uphold the stricture that they should be the first to fall back, so that they can set up the next line of defence while the fighting kobolds slow the attacks down. Its all for the good of the clan.

Kobold Trap Master Level 6 Elite Controller
Small Natural Humanoid (reptile) XP 500

Initiative +7 Senses Perception +9, darkvision
HP 142; Bloodied 71
AC 22; Fortitude 18, Reflex 21, Will 19
Resist 5 acid, 5 fire, 5 poison
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1

:bmelee: Dagger Slash (Standard; at-will) weapon
Attack +11 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage

:melee: Slash and Push (Standard; at-will) weapon
Attack +11 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage; on hit secondary attack against the
same target; attack +10 vs. Reflex; on hit target is pushed 3 squares and
knocked prone

:ranged: Activate trap (Standard; at-will) arcane
Range 10; kobold activates a repeating trap that he is aware of, or resets
a one shot trap

:close: Instant Fire Trap (Standard; recharge :5::6:) zone, trap, fire
Close blast 3; creates a hidden trap zone with a single shot trap; creates
the following trap:
Spot: Perception DC 22
Disarm: Thievery DC 20 (2 successes)
Fail: Trap activates and character trying to deactivate the traps grants
combat advantage to all enemies until the start of its next turn
Trigger: Fire Trap activates whenever any creature enters or starts their
turn inside Zone
Effect: attacks all creatures inside zone; attack +10 vs. Reflex; 2d6+4 fire
damage; on hit target takes 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends)

:close: Acid Tipped Caltrops (Standard; at-will) zone, acid
Close blast 2; Trap Master scatters caltrops across the floor; creates
visible trap zone; Caltrops attack any creature entering or moving through
the zone; attack +8 vs. Reflex; 1d4+2 damage on hit target takes 2
ongoing acid damage (save ends) and is immobilised until the start of their
next turn; creatures shifting through the zone are not affected by the
Caltrops; Characters may spend a standard action to clear 1 square of
Caltrops

Shifty (Minor; at-will)
Trap Master shifts 1 square as a minor action

Master Trap Sense
Trap Master gains a +4 bonus to all defences against traps