Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Knightfall
"Perhaps one of them could ask the face where it comes from," suggests Captain Trethewey. "Kisep, do you think it would tell you if it is from Tumnor?"
Kisep shrugs, which disturbs the raven on his shoulder only slightly. "We could ask. Can I take a look at that medallion for a second?"

The kenku does not attempt to touch it, but looks at the disc with fascination, studying the picture and the material. After that, he reads the piece of vellum if Jagr passes it on.

OOC:
Bardic Knowledge check about the medallion: (1d20+9)[29]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jagr reads the document carefully, his grasp of the language such that his reading is slow and his lips move as he sounds out some of the more unusual words, but soon enough he nods and passes the vellum on to Kisep. "A most rousing tale. I had assumed that Yenejg Togan was the power, but it sounds as if the demoness depicted on that medallion was the true force of evil. I do not think it wise to touch that medallion. This Penfavasta might be given sway over the holder of it. Can any of you detect evil or the magic within without touching it?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sarten says "I can at least scan it for magic."

He casts a spell and looks at the amulet for a while.

OOC: detect magic; Spellcraft (1d20+12)[24]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by JustinCase
Kisep shrugs, which disturbs the raven on his shoulder only slightly. "We could ask. Can I take a look at that medallion for a second?"

The kenku does not attempt to touch it, but looks at the disc with fascination, studying the picture and the material. After that, he reads the piece of vellum (once) Jagr passes it on.
No one objects to Kisep's examination of the medallion. Once Jagr hands him the vellum scroll, it all falls into place. The demoness, this Penfavasta, was a marilith – a powerful demon with female features. Mariliths are generals and tacticians and are as dangerous as balors and, in some ways, more cunning. The best (or worst depending on point of view) mariliths serve demonic royalty.

This medallion is a dangerous creation of the demoness herself. Of that much, Kisep is sure. Her name isn't familiar to him, which means she might have been banished from the Abyss.

Falerjan's tale has become folklore in many lands as a tale or woe and redemption. The name has been changed as it has migrated away from Bard's Gate. Kisep know that in the Free Cities far to the south, the story is called the Tale of Fal's City, although the demon isn't named and the evil wizard is called Yoshirat. The story is now a tragic play in the theaters of Sharn with several different endings.

In those tales, the medallion is believed to be a part of the demon's skin or can grant access to the Abyss itself or can burn away a man's face with a touch. In all cases, it will hurt anyone with a pure heart. The demon is never named in these tales and in most of them it is a balor or a vrock not a marilith.

Kisep has heard tales of other medallions like this one, which might be related or variations on the demonic item in front of him.

OOC: Just FYI, a Natural 20 is an automatic 30 for my campaigns, This gives Kisep a roll of 39, so he knows pretty much every legend that revolves around the medallion. You are free to ad-lib anything you want about what I've written above. Be as descriptive as you want.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scotley
Jagr examines the medallion, but does not touch it. "Most interesting. Is there anything on the back side?"
"I have no idea. I won't touch it and none of my men will either. I'm assuming Galoda didn't either." Imbril looks at Kailer sitting next to him.

"Um, yes, I did," he says meekly. "But after I realized what it was, I only handled it with a thick cloth. I did not notice anything written on its back."

"I can't believe you-" Wilsk says shocked.

"How else was I supposed to examine it?" Kailer replies defiantly. "I was as careful as I could be under the circumstances."

Originally Posted by Scotley
Jagr reads the document carefully, his grasp of the language such that his reading is slow and his lips move as he sounds out some of the more unusual words, but soon enough he nods and passes the vellum on to Kisep. "A most rousing tale. I had assumed that Yenejg Togan was the power, but it sounds as if the demoness depicted on that medallion was the true force of evil. I do not think it wise to touch that medallion. This Penfavasta might be given sway over the holder of it. Can any of you detect evil or the magic within without touching it?"
"It might be a good idea to make sure Kailer's mind isn't being influenced," suggests Wilie.

"Sensible," adds Borya.

Kailer motions to object but then simple stares angrily at Wilie.

Originally Posted by kinem
Sarten says "I can at least scan it for magic."

He casts a spell and looks at the amulet for a while.
The medallion radiates two strong auras. It is embedded with both Transmutation and Conjuration magic. The Conjuration aura is tied directly to a Teleportation effect of some kind, although what or who it teleports isn't clear.

As Sarten's focus settles squarely on the medallion, he gets and uneasy feeling in the back of his mind. As well, he has an odd sensation in his body. It's almost as if he is vibrating in tune with the item or something/one else. It is very unnerving.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Knightfall
No one objects to Kisep's examination of the medallion. Once Jagr hands him the vellum scroll, it all falls into place. The demoness, this Penfavasta, was a marilith -- a powerful demon with female features. Mariliths are generals and tacticians and are as dangerous as balors and, in some ways, more cunning. The best (or worst depending on point of view) mariliths serve demonic royalty.

This medallion is a dangerous creation of the demoness herself. Of that much, Kisep is sure. Her name isn't familiar to him, which means she might have been banished from the Abyss.

Falerjan's tale has become folklore in many lands as a tale or woe and redemption. The name has been changed as it has migrated away from Bard's Gate. Kisep know that in the Free Cities far to the south, the story is called the Tale of Fal's City, although the demon isn't named and the evil wizard is called Yoshirat. The story is now a tragic play in the theaters of Sharn with several different endings.

In those tales, the medallion is believed to be a part of the demon's skin or can grant access to the Abyss itself or can burn away a man's face with a touch. In all cases, it will hurt anyone with a pure heart. The demon is never named in these tales and in most of them it is a balor or a vrock not a marilith.

Kisep has heard tales of other medallions like this one, which might be related or variations on the demonic item in front of him.

OOC: Just FYI, a Natural 20 is an automatic 30 for my campaigns, This gives Kisep a roll of 39, so he knows pretty much every legend that revolves around the medallion. You are free to ad-lib anything you want about what I've written above. Be as descriptive as you want.
Kisep nods. "This is very fascinating. This medallion is the focus of several stories in many lands and although the names and details change, this is certainly the origin of them all. You see, the medallion depicts a particularly powerful demon, second only to the demon lords in power, and its name is mentioned in the tale written down on the vellum. I will not utter it, and neither should any of you, because if spoken aloud near the medallion might summon the demon.

"Somehow, this magical piece of metal is bound to the foul beast, and was possibly the source of the evil wizard's might. When the demon was finally destroyed by the knights and their armies, as described in the text, the wizard had lost most of his power and was defeated rather easily. However, demons are not easily killed so I suspect it either returned to the Abyss or retreated into the medallion somehow. In the latter case, even touching the metal could hurt those of pure heart, and could tempt anyone to do horrible things. It worries me that the arsonist was not in his own mind, because that could mean the demon controlled him. And I fear a plot to have us all gathered here in the same room with the cursed medallion, and one man who admits to touching the damned thing!

"Was that your plan, former treasurer?!"
Kisep ends his tirade with an accusing finger towards the man.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The mind link between wizard and familiar is one of two minds being as one. Shrough mentally sends a request to his friend to move as the shadows to a corner near the door where Kailer can have an eye, or two, kept on him at all times.

With his back to Kailer to act a a temptation, Shrough will ready the casting of Magic Missile with the trigger of the fox seeing Kailer doing anything offensive [ooc: drawing weapon, casting spell, leap to attack, transform into something]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
At Kisep's accusation a red hand goes to the hilt of his greatsword, the bone handle feeling all too familiar in his hand, but he does not draw his blade just yet.

OOC: Ready an action to draw my weapon at the first sign of a fight.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Kisep's words about not says the Demon's name cause Jagr's face to flush under his fur and his hand to stray to his hilt as well.

Remove ads