Kulan: Bard's Gate PbP Campaign (IC) [Game Cancelled]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by JustinCase
Kisep stops and says, "It is the gentle song of a large but reclusive bird, native only to the forest of Shan Weh Weh, far to the east of here. The locals call it Glubtylio, which translates roughly to 'She who sings of the end of sorrow'. I heard its song only once, but never saw the creature. Probably for the best, because legend says it is a dangerous, murdering monster who uses bones to feed its chicks."

The kenku looks at him with a blank face, as if expecting some response.

OOC: In case you didn't realize... I made that up. Do you want me to roll a Bluff check?
ooc: yes, lets do that.
-----------
OOC: Kisep's Bluff check: (1d20+14)[28]
-----------
Shrough is transfixed in full gullibility by the fictitious story , "Are there any claims at all of what it looks like? It reminds me of the harpy in more then one way."

ooc: I don't even have a chance . . . .

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jagr forces himself to relax and takes a breath and blows it out slowly. Having little interest in the doing of prey he ignores the talk of birdsong. Then he moves and claps the soldier on the shoulder affectionately with a big paw in hopes of putting the man at ease, but perhaps only making him more nervous. "Welcome to the company Caius." Then he turns to his companions. "Yes Shrough, Sarten, I think so. What do you all know of this 'Tarwood'?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
ooc: knowledge Local or Geography: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16

Suddenly broken from his fascination of the fantastic exotic birdsong, Shrough snaps his head toward the feline humanoid.

"Yes . . the Tarwood. Indeed. Well, What I know is . . . . [ooc: Awaiting information by the dm]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scott DeWar
Suddenly broken from his fascination of the fantastic exotic birdsong, Shrough snaps his head toward the feline humanoid.

"Yes . . the Tarwood. Indeed. Well, What I know is . . .
Shrough continues on, "The Tarwood is a massive pine forest that stretches far to the south and east of Bard's Gate. The northern half of the forest is a tangle of vegetation with a few game trails that eventually disappear into trackless wilderness. The talk in the streets is that the forest is filled with bugbears or worse. Taking mounts into the forest would be, annoying. More than likely, horses would bolt. I've heard that there are many ruins in the Tarwood."

"Those ruins are abandoned towns and forts that existed during the time of Yenejg's rule in the region," Warder Wilsk adds. "There are a few hamlets that exist on the forest edge, but all but one of them are abandoned. Shapic still has roughly 180 residents, depending on the season, and stands just over 20 miles to the east of the city. Yenejg's tower is rumored to be hidden somewhere in the forest beyond near the hamlet."

"That is not known for sure, and I've never heard of anyone finding it," says Imbril. " More likely it exists somewhere southwest of Allerborn in the forested hills surrounding Mount Tar."

"You all best make sure that you are prepared for the rigors of the forest," added Wilsk. "The weather in the forest is usually fair this time of year, but I'd prepare for the worst just to be safe."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scotley
Then he moves and claps the soldier on the shoulder affectionately with a big paw in hopes of putting the man at ease, but perhaps only making him more nervous. "Welcome to the company Caius."
Caius waits until Shrough and his superiors finish conversing and then says “um, thank you" to Jagr and then adds "I'll give you nothing less than my best, I promise you."

The man's nerves have steeled with Jagr's welcome to the group.

"Do you, I mean we, want to go back to the Market Bridge and continue to ask the magical face questions? I know I can't ask it anything, but it should be questioned more, I think. I'll also need to stock up on provisions in the market for the journey. Plus, we should consider mounts to get us to Shapic, if that's where we're going?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shrough asks, "A quick question. does the tarwood have an older name? The face on the bridge has limitations on information and extra information of that nature is helpful to its stored archives."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scott DeWar
Shrough asks "A quick question. does the Tarwood have an older name? The face on the bridge has limitations on information and extra information of that nature is helpful to its stored archives."
"More than likely it does have an older name, but if it does, I don't know what it was called. It is known that the Tarwood and the Vlinnwood to the north were once connected before the time of Bard's Gate, so maybe it was all called the Vlinnwood at the time," suggests Imbril.

"It's been known as the Tarwood for my entire life," adds Wilsk. "It and the Vlinn have always been connected in tall tales I've heard with the Tarwood being the place of evil and the mysterious creatures of Vlinn standing against them. Of course, tall tales are usually some bard's jest." Wilsk looks to Wilie, "You hear a lot in your job, Wilie. Do you know if the forest has another name?"

Wilie rubs his chin thoughtfully and then says, "I do know a lot about the city and the region through what travelers have told me. Tales are a good way to pass the time why taking tolls. I don't think the Tarwood has another name that currently used. I'm sure it has an old Elvish or Orochen name that was once used, but if it does, I can't remember it. I'm sure it could be found in an old guidebook or in the History of Bard's Gate." Wilie looks at Borya and the rest of the 'eight', "That's an official historic record that is kept in the the Auditorium of the Silver Harp, the temple of Oghma in the Bridge District. If the Tarwood has another name, the High Harpist, Jared Strann, will know it or be able to find out."

"And if he doesn't know, Geldin Lucan will," adds Caius.

"Yes, The Written Note at the Bard's College," says Wilie. "Geldin's library is is the most complete in the city. If you all feel like you have time, I suggest asking either one of them about the Tarwood."

"All I ask is that you don't casually mention Yenejg in your inquiries," says Imbril. "The last thing we need is more panic about him returning from the dead. If you want to see either of them, I'll send someone ahead to get you in without any red tape. In the meantime, I suggest you head back to the Market Bridge and find out whatever you can from this Vectius thing and the gather what you need in the market for the journey. Do not worry about buying horses; I can have eight horses ready for you at the West Gate. When you're read yo to leave, send Wilie back here to the Keep to let me know."

Imbril motions for the guard to pick up the box and for the other guards to take Kailer away. Once the box and the disgraced ex-treasurer are removed from the hall, Imbril turns back to the 'eight' heroes. "I have other duties to perform before dawn breaks, as does the Warder. We will leave you in the capable hands of Caius. He'll be able to help you find your way back to the Market Bridge. Caius, when making your reports to Captain Trethewey, have a scribe make a copy for me as well."

"Yes milord," Caius says with a bow.

Imbril and Wilsk leave the hall through a back door with the remaining guards at their heels. The group finds itself alone in the hall with only Caius and Wilie.

"We should go," the soldier says. He heads to the hall's main door and opens it. He stands there waiting for the others to follow.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Anyway, we'd best be off. Shall we split up to find the Auditorium and the Bard's College, or will we go together?"

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jagr shrugs, "We can seek more history if you wish. Perhaps we can make our purchases as we make our way to these learned men. I don't think we should split up. Our mysterious enemy has shown an ability to take action here in Bard's Gate. If more agents are standing by we should not give them an easy target."

Last edited:

Remove ads