• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Falen:
Having been healed (some) by Breva, and bathed in fire protection from Akos, he thanks both and surveys the damage for a few moments, collecting himself. He rather successfully shrugged off the Sting Ray spell.
He saw the sorceress disappear on the east side of the smaller building on which he was perched before attacking the Butcher. She didn’t return; rather, Breva came around the side. Either she was gone or she was toast.
He didn’t really mind either. He did wonder where the cleric went, given a number of allies were making noise in the warehouse.

Upon hearing the flying dwarf mention something to bomb the monster with, Falen enters the warehouse, looking for spears or perhaps acid flasks.

OOC: Cold flasks, entanglement bags, sleeping powder, sneezing powder, innocent bystanders, virgins...whatever can stop it. :p

"Captain, Commander, maybe I could get a slashing long weapon, a glaive maybe, and try to chop off head or three?"

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck looks over the various potions, gathering those he thinks he can decipher and putting the rest in his pack to assess later.

For now, he will distribute them among his allies, both the Exemplars and the city officials; liquids that can heal, fortify or increase agility all come in handy in the fight against the Loyalists and Rising Swords.

It's a lot more quiet outside. A quick look over his shoulder confirms that this battle is over, and the urban ranger smiles to himself. Then his face turns sour again. There is still that monster out there.

With all speed the kobold starts distributing potions to all allies, not being too careful about which vials to hand to each because of the time constraints.

"The Butcher has a huge bounty on his head," Tuck remarks as he steps over the fallen enemy. If only he had more time to secure the body and collect that reward later!

Upon meeting the strange dwarf with his flying horse, Tuck merely nods, gives hims a potion and introduces himself, "Tuck. Thanks for coming to our aid."

The kobold then goes about his tasks without giving Rockhorn another look. The urban ranger is not unfriendly, just busy.

TUNNELS!! THERE ARE TUNNELS!!!
"We should use the tunnels to our advantage," the kobold suggests. "Attack the monster from various sides, and withdraw if it targets any one group. Smart fighting may save our lives."

OOC: Collecting the potions with recognizable labels (cat, bear, bull, tree) and distributing them among all allies. Is that possible in the rounds we have left until the arrival of the beast?

If possible, drop all other potions (green, red) in Tuck's pack. If someone recognizes what they are, he will hand these potions to them.

These potions (emphasis mine):
Tuck looks at the vials on the top level of the shelf without disturbing any of them. Each one is either green or red in colour. The top of the shelf is marked with the symbol of the Rising Swords, as are each of the vials.

The next two levels of the shelf are marked with a very different symbol. Tuck has seen it only a few times in the places where Loyalists have been rooted out. It is their unique brand, which they often have tattooed on their bodies with magical ink (usually on the back). While the dozen or so ceramic potion bottles, and that is what they are, Tuck is certain, aren't marked with the Loyalists' symbol, each one is carved with a simple symbol. Two near the front have an engraved symbol of a cat on them. Another three on the shelf below are carved with a bear's head. There is also one bottle with carved bull's horns. There uses seem obvious. He does notice one other bottle on the second level with a carved symbol of a tree on it.

The potion bottles look very different to the potions that the Exemplars captured before from the Loyalists. They are sturdier. Better designed. Yet look simple to use.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck looks over the various potions, gathering those he thinks he can decipher and putting the rest in his pack to assess later.

For now, he will distribute them among his allies, both the Exemplars and the city officials; liquids that can heal, fortify or increase agility all come in handy in the fight against the Loyalists and Rising Swords.

It's a lot more quiet outside. A quick look over his shoulder confirms that this battle is over, and the urban ranger smiles to himself. Then his face turns sour again. There is still that monster out there.

With all speed the kobold starts distributing potions to all allies, not being too careful about which vials to hand to each because of the time constraints.
As Tuck exits the warehouse, he notes Mutt with his paws up on the table eating leftover food that the mercenaries never got around to eating. The big dog is slurping up the left over morsels happily.

As the ceramic potions are shoved into hands, no one questions what they might be as the symbols on them seem clear enough. All except the "hand and starburst" potions. Those don't seem as obvious.

OOC: I'm going to roll randomly for which characters get which potions. Each of the Exemplars gathered around Akos can drink one potion in Round 18 while Akos casts Protection from Fire. Akos must wait until Round 19.

Exemplars, come closer, I can protect people from fire, but only a limited number, five in total. Tuck, keep Mutt away from the monster."

After everyone gathers he covers them in cooling breeze of a gentle brook in the meadow, cooling any effects of fire upon them.

Round 3: protection from fire (we know that it breathes fire regardless of his own knowledge roll)
Tim, Akos, Vinccenzo, Tuck, Falen
As the Loremaster summons protection from flames for the Exemplars, Breva steps close and blesses all the Exemplars and gathered guards with the Purifier's light.

OOC: Breva casts bless.

The pegasus approaches the group and lands, and once close it is revealed to be barely the size of a donkey and the dwarf was a dwarf for his race, barely the size of a gnome. Astride his exotic mount, he still couldn't see humans eye to eye. Those knowing the race might recognize his disheveled appearance and tattoos on the face as marks of a wild dwarf, a sub race naturally smaller than their subterranean cousins. But if that was the case, he was a giant dwarf.

With a wild mane of unkempt hair cascading down his shoulders, Ranger Mosswood made his presence known in a manner befitting his uncivilized origins. As he approached his superior officer, a mischievous grin danced upon his weathered face, and his voice carried the lilt of the jungle in his casual greeting.
"Hey there, boss! Ranger Mosswood reporting for duty, ready to shake things up and show you city-folk how we do things in the wild."

His uniform, though impeccably worn, bore the telltale signs of a life spent navigating through dense foliage and grappling with beasts of untold ferocity. The air around him seemed to carry the scent of moss and earth, a tangible reminder of his deep-rooted connection to the natural world.

Before his superior officer could react to his unorthodox arrival, a not-so-distant rumble caught Rockhorn's keen ear. His eyes narrowed with a mix of excitement and concern as he glanced beyond the safety of the city walls.
"Sir, pardon the interruption, you already know you have a huge monster coming to your position, right? We've got ourselves a bit of a situation. Seems like it's hungry for trouble. And with the recent fight here, it might be prudent to send me to harass it and slow it down. I don't know what kind of octopus it is on land, but it fires jets of flame. So maybe cold or acid flasks might do for some aerial bombardment?

Report of the mountains can wait. Assuming we survive."
The other Elites seem put off by Rockhorn's candour, but Commander Oakfirst takes it in stride.

"Yes, you're report can wait until later," the commander replies. "Try not to die today, Ranger Mosswood."

He steps over towards the Loremaster and puts the captured healing potion forcibly into Akos' hands after the Loremaster is done his casting. "Take it. Drink it. That's an order." He notes the Loremaster's face. "Do not forget that you and the Exemplars are considered Elites until I say otherwise."

The commander looks at each Exemplar. "After today, it is clear to me that the guards need a major shake up. The best Regulars will have a chance to become Elites while those found wanting will be cast aside. A new order of knights is needed for Bluffside. That is clear. Only the best will be allowed to join the new Exemplar Knights and you all will be its captains."

The bear roars again and feel the ground shake.

"We will discuss it later," the commander adds. "As I says to Ranger Mosswood, try not to die today. Bluffside needs you," he motions to the Elites as well. "All of you!"

Falen:
Having been healed (some) by Breva, and bathed in fire protection from Akos, he thanks both and surveys the damage for a few moments, collecting himself. He rather successfully shrugged off the Sting Ray spell.
He saw the sorceress disappear on the east side of the smaller building on which he was perched before attacking the Butcher. She didn’t return; rather, Breva came around the side. Either she was gone or she was toast.
He didn’t really mind either. He did wonder where the cleric went, given a number of allies were making noise in the warehouse.
Falen listens to the commanders speech. His words seem to raise the spirits of the guards. There aren't any cheers, but they all look resolute.

Breva notes that Falen is looking towards where the young paladin fought the enchanter. "She fell to my blade. She isn't dead, but there isn't time for me to keep her from dying. If the Purifier wills it, she will survive long enough to face justice."

MetaVoid said:
Looking at the group of big-folk surrounding him, he dips a lance held on high-bore saddle in greeting
"Hello, all, I'm Rockhorn and this is Spritewing. Who might you be in such colorful company?" he motions not so subtly toward half-breed giant and goblinoid. Pegasus turns its head and looks him reproachfully and says something quietly
"Remember we talked about being brash and insensitive?"
It then dips its head and raises its wings behind in a kind of a bow and says clearly
"Spritewing."

Rockhorn waves the comment away. "If you have something for me to drop on the beast, now is the time, it's close."
"Or a good long axe to chop off some heads!"
Tim's eyes grow wide with awe. He'd heard of Pegasi, but he'd never seen one up close; such a beautiful creature. Tim cannot resist the smile of wonder that creeps across his face as the creature draws near.

The Dwarf atop the creature was another story. He was probably handsome for his kind, Tim surmised, but he was a complete mess. His wild, disheveled hair was NOT combed, nor tied, nor braided. His clothes were wrinkled, and covered with little bits of grass and leaves; he looked as if he'd been chased hard through a dense forest. Tim thought that the Dwarf seemed friendly and likeable enough, in a wild, rough, uncivilized sort of way. However, Tim immediately made for himself a mental note, to give this poor lad the name of a good valet when this was all over.

Tim says, "Welcome to the fight, laddy. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Lieutenant Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Kingdom of Vrocia. But you can call me Tim. I am an off-worlder, here by the chance of fate, but I shall serve Syvatagor, and uphold the law, and champion the cause of the just, for as long as I draw breath, even in the face of this foul beast, which is presently upon us. When lesser men flee the battle, it is the company of true warriors who remain."
JustinCase said:
Upon meeting the strange dwarf with his flying horse, Tuck merely nods, gives hims a potion and introduces himself, "Tuck. Thanks for coming to our aid."

The kobold then goes about his tasks without giving Rockhorn another look. The urban ranger is not unfriendly, just busy.
"Custodio Vecchi d'Elite," the Vanquisher cleric says to Rockhorn with a nod. "I have fought alongside mountain rangers before. We are lucky to have you on on side.

Aust Thale said:
Upon hearing the flying dwarf mention something to bomb the monster with, Falen enters the warehouse, looking for spears or perhaps acid flasks.
As Falen heads towards the door of the warehouse, Tuck understands his purpose and grabs him by the shoulder. He holds up his bag of holding. "It's all in here."

OOC: @Aust Thale, if you still want Falen to go into the warehouse in Round 19, then let me know. Mutt is in there eating the mercenaries' leftovers (unless Tuck orders him out of the warehouse). Falen could inspect the locked iron door, but the shelf that had been full of potions is now empty.

"Captain, Commander, maybe I could get a slashing long weapon, a glaive maybe, and try to chop off head or three?"
The commander points south along Candle Street. "There. One of the Regulars dropped his halberd. And the doppelganger had one as well as part of his disguise." Oakfirst looks around. "I don't see him. Hopefully he did not run away."

"He's headed up onto the wall," Zenpher says as he brings the commander his bow. "The Loremaster convinced him that he'd be better off up there." The halfling Elite brings the captured potion and magical ring to Akos. "Captain Camoys is working as fast as she can with her spell, but I doubt she'll be able to tell us anything useful about every bit of magic scattered among the dead before it arrives."

Akos can no longer see the Sectarian Captain. She disappeared up the side street through the magical fog. Hopefully she is being careful.

JustinCase said:
"The Butcher has a huge bounty on his head," Tuck remarks as he steps over the fallen enemy. If only he had more time to secure the body and collect that reward later!"
"And I will make sure you all get that reward," Commander Oakfirst replies. "And I do mean all." He motions to the guards as well as the Exemplars. "If you can capture that damn cleric too, there is a reward for him as well."

"What about the woman, the wizard?" Custodio asks.

"I don't think she was known before now," the commander replies. "Still, there is the standing reward for brining in Loyalists."

"We can't spend a reward if we're all dead," Captain Camburn says. "Let's worry about that creature first."

"Yes, let's put that thing down!" The commander orders. "Elites! Exemplars! To arms! Fight! Fight well!"

"And... fight smart," Sobla says next to Tuck.

"Well said, young one," Captain Camburn says.

JustinCase said:
"We should use the tunnels to our advantage," the kobold suggests. "Attack the monster from various sides, and withdraw if it targets any one group. Smart fighting may save our lives."

OOC: Collecting the potions with recognizable labels (cat, bear, bull, tree) and distributing them among all allies. Is that possible in the rounds we have left until the arrival of the beast?

If possible, drop all other potions (green, red) in Tuck's pack. If someone recognizes what they are, he will hand these potions to them.
"Yes, as your young friend has said, we must fight smart. Use good tactics," Captain Camburn notes. "But, be wary in those tunnels. We do not know if there are more foes down there."

"The cleric escaped into the warehouse," Custodio says. "And he wasn't alone. Someone helped him get away. There could be more Loyalists down there. More thieves. More mercenaries."

"But, wouldn't it be better to know?" Emelia asks. "They could attack us from below while we're fighting that thing."

"Divide and conquer," Captain Camburn replies. "That could be their plan. If too many head into the tunnels, the creature might overwhelm the rest left to fight on the street. Too few, and they may end up being outmatched by the villains beneath our feet."

The commander looks to the Exemplars. "We'll leave it to you to decide if the tunnels are a good idea. The Elites must remain in the streets to fight that thing and protect Old City. That is our duty." He pauses. "But, we need Sir Valencia's strength up here."

"I'm staying up here too," Breva says. "If it is evil, I can hurt it."

"As Tuck and his... friend..."

"Sobla."

"As Tuck and Sobla have said. We must be smart," Captain Camburn says. "It is part hydra, part alien beast. I've fought a hydra once in my youth. They are very dangerous. Each head can bite an unwary soldier to pieces in a blink of an eye. They are quick and canny foes that must not be underestimated. As for its other alien part, I cannot say, but I suspect it will be horrible mix worse than any chimera that has crawled out of a lich's lair."

The Beast roars again. The ground tremors increase.

"It's here! It's massive!" Maena yells from the corner of the candle shop.

OOC: Round 19 starts tomorrow. I will roll randomly for which potions end up with each Exemplar (and the guards). @JustinCase, I'm assuming Tuck will spread the "potion" wealth among the PCs and the guards.

Decide where you want your character to be at the beginning of the round. I'll let you place your characters anywhere you want on the map. I will post a current map, as I've decided for the end of Round 18. The map will also show where The Beast appears. That will be its starting point at the beginning of Round 19.

I need to go to bed. :sleep:

Edit: fixed colors.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos nods to the captain as he takes the healing.
"I'll try to keep out of its reach. I can call upon Titania few more times to burn the thing with acid or fire. I can curse it from afar, it is not reliable against such things, but if it works, it will weaken it significantly.

We should hurry forward and keep it on the square so it doesn't destroy even more of the city. And if the rabble reappears, we deal with them as they show.

For the Bluffside!"

and he casts a spell, inspiring everyone around him to greater focus

OOC: Plan:
round 19: cast inspired aim, giving all allies within 40' +2 insight bonus to RANGED attack ONLY; put the ring on (hopefully beneficial)
starting location (if possible) is on the far right, two squares to the right and down from the guard to the far right (image)
round 20: drink the potion of healing, cast curse of ill fortune in round 20 or move if no line of sight yet
round 21+: curse whenever I can get line of sight (if not r20), cures for the fallen (and Falen too)

1689929695163.png

Last edited:

Rockhorn notes the reaction of Elites, knowing the reason and not really caring for rigid hierarchy. Still, he makes it a point to be at least acceptable to people who helped save him. He straightens up his uniform and salutes smartly as he, surprisingly, receives two potions from his superior.
"Sir! Thank you, sir! I'll do my best!"

He spurs Spritewing toward fallen doppelguard
"Lets get us some monsterchopper. Too bad it is already so enraged. We should try and calm it down, take it out into the wild."
Leaning down from the pegasus, he picks up the halberd, the weapon obviously too large for him.

"Hmmm, what do you think, Sprite? Better than my handaxe? Be ready with your spells, I'm going up. Give me those poisoned bolts too."

He runs quickly over and takes a crossbow and poisoned bolts, securing the lance in its holder.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Falen:
Round 18; drinks healing potion. See OOC thread. He also drinks the Cat’s Paw potion at earliest opportunity, and holds the shimmering man potion on his belt while placing the remaining potion in his haversack and one of the 2 fire flasks. He hands back the alchemical acid to Tuck: “Acid” along with the fire flask “Fire
Round 19: attempts with Tuck to open lock door leading to tunnels.

Falen is on board with hitting the monster from multiple places. However the cleric is still there. He wonders if their opponents sudden absence isn’t simply that they got their arses kicked; this monster may be indiscriminate. And it may not. Falen wants to make sure that the cleric doesn’t pop up unexpectedly. Actually, Falen simply wants to make him dead and no longer a threat.

Falen speaks dwarven to Rockhorn and Kobold with Tuck with crisp notes that suggest he’s spent time among their kind.

Falen attributes their apparent efficiency in preparing for the beast to sheer survival instinct. That and the fact that perhaps time hasn’t slowed. But that the monster is causing mayhem among the denizens and their buildings. Mayhem clearly takes a little time.

He takes a moment, chugs back both the red healing potion and the Cat’s Paw potion, “Watch for traps if you go down in tunnels.”

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen:
OOC: Round 18; drinks healing potion. See OOC thread. He also drinks the Cat’s Paw potion at earliest opportunity, and holds the shimmering man potion on his belt while placing the remaining potion in his haversack and one of the 2 fire flasks. He hands back the alchemical acid to Tuck: “Acid” along with the fire flask “Fire
Round 19: attempts with Tuck to open lock door leading to tunnels.
OOC: Round 18: Falen drinks healing potion (standard action); stores items (move action).

Round 19: Opening the locked iron door is a full-round action. I didn't see a dice roll for Open Lock. Was it your intention for Falen to Take 20? He can do so, since he is not being threatened by anyone (or the creature). working together, Falen and Tuck would be able to get the door open (20 +8 +2 [aid another] = 30).

@JustinCase: I'm going to say that Tuck is able to open the door in Round 19 as well. It is a separate move action, but it seems logical that he would be able to pull the door open after Falen successfully picks the lock.

Aust Thale said:
Falen is on board with hitting the monster from multiple places. However the cleric is still there. He wonders if their opponents sudden absence isn’t simply that they got their arses kicked; this monster may be indiscriminate. And it may not. Falen wants to make sure that the cleric doesn’t pop up unexpectedly. Actually, Falen simply wants to make him dead and no longer a threat.

Falen speaks dwarven to Rockhorn and Kobold with Tuck with crisp notes that suggest he’s spent time among their kind.

Falen attributes their apparent efficiency in preparing for the beast to sheer survival instinct. That and the fact that perhaps time hasn’t slowed. But that the monster is causing mayhem among the denizens and their buildings. Mayhem clearly takes a little time.

He takes a moment, chugs back both the red healing potion and the Cat’s Paw potion, “Watch for traps if you go down in tunnels.”
Falen works on the door's lock with Tuck while Sobla sits on the bench and watches. The two of them are able to finesse the lock, although it takes all of their combined skill. Falen hears a satisfying click, as the doors tumblers slide into place.

Tuck pulls the door open to reveal a small room that is obviously disguised to be a simple 5-ft by 5ft. cloak room. There are several garments strewn in the back of the on the cloak room and scuff marks on the room's stone walls and marble floor.

"There is probably a hidden door... somewhere," Tuck suggests to Falen and Sobla. The kobold urban ranger leave the cloak room to Falen. He looks at the marble floor. "Sobla, look around, but be careful."

Remove ads