• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E L&L: New Packet Hits This Wednesday

Traken

First Post
I can see the changes from MDD to Expertise Dice being a very good thing. The "action to take a moment to rest" will require some thought. It seems like there would be a fine line between "this is something fighters do" and "this is now a once-per-encounter ability." Though the reduction in damage should lengthen battles so the loss of an action might not be too bad.

I can see myself loving a lot in this next packet. Wednesday will probably be an unproductive day at work...

Obryn

Hero
None of this looks inherently terrible. ;) I actually like the sounds of the paladin, ranger, and druid stuff. It's also good they're sorting out the insane rocket tag I've heard of in playtests - where fights are more or less over before they begin and anything interesting can happen.

For the Fighter, it will depend. I like that they're basically getting encounter resources back with how the "expertise dice" seem to work. The question will be - is the Fighter the guy who's stuck hacking at stuff with a sword and rarely does neat things ... or is the Fighter the guy who does a lot of neat things and only reverts to basic swording as a backup plan?

Needless to say, I'm hoping for the latter because it's a much more interesting design direction that elevates the Fighter. In theory. It's all in the execution.

Nonplussed re: extra attacks.

-O

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Interesting concept for the Druid with the choice of a circle so you can focus on spells or wildshape

Love the concept behind the Ranger's favored enemy themed around creature, but with mechanics broader and more versatile

Also
thumbs%20up.gif
to the exploration rules and math overhaul

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
I was thinking it would be more like the Warblade in terms of resource management, but the 1 action = 1 dice is making me a bit nervous.

And I'm really not sure how it interfaces with extra attacks.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Exciting! I am looking forward to seeing how these classes are fleshed out. Very pleased with the chance to playtest a fatigue system for the Fighter. Very curious how multiple attacks will be handled to prevent large jumps in power at certain levels. Words of power or swift spells, they should be able to design said effects without the need for a special rule, because I dread the return of another action type.

Remove ads