L4W Discussion Thread V

jbear

First Post
Hmm ... :(

So if my DM has given me a +1 Amulet of Protection and gold to buy my own items when I asked for a +1 Spidersilk Mantle , then I lose out on 80% of the value of the Amulet of Protection. (This is the case btw) 280 odd gps ... down the loo?

Proposal: Let me exchange the value of the amulet to exchange for the neck item I prefer making up the rest with GP value. :) Please :D

A more official word on the how to of buying and tracking purchase/sales of items would be much appreciated.

LordGraz'zt

First Post

So if my DM has given me a +1 Amulet of Protection and gold to buy my own items when I asked for a +1 Spidersilk Mantle , then I lose out on 80% of the value of the Amulet of Protection. (This is the case btw) 280 odd gps ... down the loo?

Proposal: Let me exchange the value of the amulet to exchange for the neck item I prefer making up the rest with GP value. :) Please :D

Toughen up and take your magic items like a man!

P.S. Please be nice to me in A Call for Lovers haha.

jbear

First Post
*Sharpens his knives*

Oh, I will. Just looking at your wishlist now ... hmm ... empty ...

One fragile rusty Cursed Blade of Evermissing coming up! :D

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.

A more official word on the how to of buying and tracking purchase/sales of items would be much appreciated.

DM is by no means obliged to follow your wish list in fact some (Mal Malenkirk for example) explicitly tell you at the start that they MAY, but probably won't look at it. My dwarf still has Foe Maker axe and Foe Chaser boots, although I didn't ask for them. Still they serve surprisingly well.

EDIT: Also, if it's vanilla amulet you can upgrade it with whatever enchantment you want by paying the difference in cost

jbear

First Post
It wasn't quite the case. Sorry I haven't expressed myself well.

He asked me what I would like at the end of the adventure as I didn't have a wishlist. I acme up with a bunch of stuff i wouldn't mind. But I think just so it was less of a hassle he gave me the vanilla amulet and gold to get what I wanted.

If I can just upgrade enchantment for the difference that must have been his intention. It definitely wasn't "I'm not obliged to give you your wish list, have this instead".

So ... how do I go about doing that? I just write a note on my sheet?

treex

First Post
I supposed it would be something liiike: Item#1 (Traded in for Item#2, Cost=x.)
And then you put item 2 below it.

EDIT: Bah, wishlists, a huge hassle for non DDi subsribers sometimes.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I just went through a few of the characters in the wiki and I've seen that they've all sold their items at 20%.

From what I've seen in other threads, there are people who just magically have their new items or roleplays an IC reason for getting a new one. I remember a dumb character that got "duped" by a goblin (or some other) into letting him "take care" of his gold and the goblin dropped a magical artifact (or something along the lines of that)

But yeah, just my input on this...
Ah, good old Fissure. Too bad r1 killed him. ;)

Sell at 20%, buy at full. Thems the rules.

Mewness

First Post
It wasn't quite the case. Sorry I haven't expressed myself well.

He asked me what I would like at the end of the adventure as I didn't have a wishlist. I acme up with a bunch of stuff i wouldn't mind. But I think just so it was less of a hassle he gave me the vanilla amulet and gold to get what I wanted.

If I can just upgrade enchantment for the difference that must have been his intention. It definitely wasn't "I'm not obliged to give you your wish list, have this instead".

So ... how do I go about doing that? I just write a note on my sheet?
The reason that there are no specific rules in the charter is that we follow the standard rules: you buy items at the listed price, and sell them at 20% of that value. So if you have the gold, then you can just buy what you want (if you wanted to do it during an adventure, you'd have to get the DM's permission, but it's perfectly fine to buy stuff between adventures). Just make sure to keep records in the tracking section of your wiki sheet.

renau1g

First Post
Ah, good old Fissure. Too bad r1 killed him. ;)

Sell at 20%, buy at full. Thems the rules.

Only sweet revenge for Ravika..... :devil:

There's one theme that lets you sell for more (IIRC 10% more?) so 22% of original price, but yeah as Bruce Hornsby (or Tupac, or Celine Dion) says that's the way it is.

Remove ads