L4W Discussion Thread V

garyh

First Post
I think this is the relevant bit of the charter, which is up to date as far as I can tell:

So you could make a single character whose xp total would be: minimum for level 6, plus half of the combined total of what your level 2 chars currently have.

Alternatively, you could retire both your L2 chars, and apply half of their combined XP to your level 6 char. If that would be sufficient to push him to level 7, then you could retire him and start another L7 character. That might be a better option, depending on what his xp currently is.

This would be easier to work out with concrete numbers. And if I happened to have the xp per level chart handy, which I don't.

Thanks, cov! The level 6 PC has 7,550 XP, and the level 2 PC's have 1,696 XP and 1,294 XP. However, the first and last of those PC's might have some XP from their last adventures that I need to track down. The two level 2's can be cashed out for 1,495 XP at the very least. I also have 3 DM credits to burn, which comes to 1,251 XP. Retiring the level 2's and cashing in the DM credits, and all that comes to 10,296 XP, which clears the level 7 requirement of 10,000 XP. If the two PC's who were on adventures have some XP coming to them, I might be able to save a DM credit or two, but at the very least, I can expect to be able to start a level 7 PC. Sounds good.

In general, they ruling on expertise feats has not changed. In the case of Hunter rangers (and any hypothetical class which might get Expertise as aclass feature), an exception has been made. Such classes receive the Expertise feat as stipulated in the class write-up. The proposal thread is here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/living...posal-allow-expertise-feat-class-feature.html

On a related note, I am running a Hunter ranger in one of the adventures here, and I am quite happy with how the build is working out.

Thanks, pathfinderq1! Since I'm looking at starting a level 7 PC, having expertise for levels 1 through 4 isn't a huge deal, and the extra expertise at level 5 isn't fantastic (how often would a hunter NOT be using a bow or crossbow?) it's at least something. Master at Arms would at least help with weapon swapping, so that ain't bad if it comes up.

garyh

First Post
Thanks, cov! The level 6 PC has 7,550 XP, and the level 2 PC's have 1,696 XP and 1,294 XP. However, the first and last of those PC's might have some XP from their last adventures that I need to track down. The two level 2's can be cashed out for 1,495 XP at the very least. I also have 3 DM credits to burn, which comes to 1,251 XP. Retiring the level 2's and cashing in the DM credits, and all that comes to 10,296 XP, which clears the level 7 requirement of 10,000 XP. If the two PC's who were on adventures have some XP coming to them, I might be able to save a DM credit or two, but at the very least, I can expect to be able to start a level 7 PC. Sounds good.

Okay, so Hrav had 3,766 XP that came to him at the end of Redblade's Riches. Wow. So that put him at 7 all by itself, and then with the other PC's being retired, that puts him at 12,811, a DM credit away from level 8's 13,000 requirement. I'm still tracking down whatever XP Growl got from Power of Knowledge, so I probably won't need to burn that DM credit, even, and if Growl had a lot of XP I might even be able to push level 9. Exciting!

covaithe

Explorer
Looking at Hrav's numbers has inspired me to get off my backside (metaphorically speaking, of course) and level Quagmire up. In doing so, I discovered that he was only a wee bit shy of level 7 himself.

Thus, I'm spending 2 DM credits on Quagmire for 834xp and 1252g to nudge him over to level 7. This post is mostly so I can link to it on my sheet.

garyh

First Post
That's cool, cov.

I enjoyed the MMC and Hrav, but I'm kinda tired of the rogue, and MMC - aftger a great run - has had a lot of turnover. Of course, whenever I figure out what new PC I want to play next, I'd love to have them pick up with Quag.

Someone

Adventurer
I remind you that I'm currently recruiting for a level 4-6 adventure, and need just a couple more characters; there's 1 defender and two leaders available, so at least one striker would be good. You can find the recruiting post in the Tavern and the recruiting thread here

BenBrown

First Post
Don't want to clutter up the tavern thread with discussion, so I'll respond to this here.
Sharpe's chaotic evilness is just for fun and to add personality to him. Plus he can fake sanity well. I don't want to play him as the type detrimental to any adventure. He would not kill the paladin or anything like that.

Basically he is all talk and no action, is what I am saying. I just have him crazy to be a interesting character, I won't have him do anything to harm the party, or kill any key non-evil NPCs or anything like that :)

I wouldn't expect you to do this. The problem I have is that he's a black hole of conversation. Everything he says is about himself, which means if he's in any scene where anybody's talking about anything but him, they effectively have to ignore him if they want to get anything done.

In the right situation and with the right group, he could be a lot of fun, but I think I'd have to tailor the adventure to him if I was going to have him in an adventure I was running.

covaithe

Explorer
I added a FAQ section to the adventure submission page in the wiki. It's only got one question right now, because I only had one answer handy.

As I look, at it, I can't help but notice that that page hasn't really been updated since before we opened L4W for play. Someone should do something about that. (Sadly, that someone is probably me...)

Remove ads