• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Labelling April Fools

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Steverooo said:
There oughta be a law...

April Fools jokes on the so-called News page oughta be labelled as such!

Last year, people were still quoting the WotC "Press Release", saying that no one at WotC was old enough to remember Greyhawk, anyway, well into May...

Now, we have the Microsoft joke...

Don't the Admins, here, think it would be a good idea to actually MARK jokes as jokes? It seems to me to be irresponsible to do otherwise...

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82473

If ya labeled Apr Fool's jokes as such, wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the whole thing?

"The following is an Apr Fool's joke and shouldn't be taken seriously..." kinda blows the fun of the whole thing. Where's the fun in that?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Steverooo said:
The post is long enough that adding "(April Fools!)" to the end wouldn't spoil the joke.

I could see adding it to the end...though I don't think its necessary. If peeps actually believe that Microsoft would ever buy WotC, then let 'em. It is called April Fool's Day after all.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The Mirrorball Man said:
It's called April's Fool's Day. Those who think that these news items are genuine are fools. The whole purpose of April Fool's Day media hoaxes is that some people will think it's true, while others will look at the date, and realize that information is best appreciated with a grain of salt and a critical mind.

If we were to follow your idea, I don't know where it would lead us... Orson Welles famous radio prank about aliens in 1938 would have been punctuated by "don't believe that guy, folks, it's just make-believe!",

It was. Makes your argument even sillier. It also wasn't on april fools day and was not meant in any way as a prank. Know before you post.

"april fools day" is just Liars Day as far as I'm concerned. A bunch of immature people get an excuse to lie to other people. I'm supposed to disbelieve anything anyone tells me one day of the year or I'm a 'fool'? I don't think so. And frankly, any source of information which activly participates in Liars Day without some marking or revealing the 'joke' in the message loses my respect as a news source the other 364 days of the year too.

Several years ago here in boston, a couple of DJs thought Liars Day gave them the right to make a fake news announcement about the Mayor's death. Those two particular brats lost their jobs. No one thought that the mayor's mother or close friends, overhearing a completely serious sounding special report done exactly as they would have for a high profile individuals death, should have "Looked at the date" and assumed that a radio station would let some :):):):):):):)s lie about something that serious. But thats where Liars day gets us.

I go to the onion for fake news thats funny. I'd go to talk radio if I wanted fake news that wasn't funny. Maybe I'm a curmudgen before my time, but so be it. April fools day hasn't been funny since elementrary school, and I judge Lairs the same this day as any other.

Kahuna Burger

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Kahuna Burger said:
"april fools day" is just Liars Day as far as I'm concerned. A bunch of immature people get an excuse to lie to other people. I'm supposed to disbelieve anything anyone tells me one day of the year or I'm a 'fool'? I don't think so. And frankly, any source of information which activly participates in Liars Day without some marking or revealing the 'joke' in the message loses my respect as a news source the other 364 days of the year too.

Dude- c'mon. Its all in good fun. A sense of humor is a wonderful thing to have.

Whisper72

Explorer
Sheesh... some people should lighten up, next thing you'll be :):):):)ting diamonds... stop taking life so friggin seriously... it's not as if the Microsoft thing was harmful in any way, and the whole 'liar' thing is stupid galore. So, any joke I tell you I must beforehand make sure you understand it is a joke??? That perforce means you have no humor and are one sad person to see the world through such eyes. I feel sorry for you that you fail to take life a little lighter every now and then...

Kahuna Burger said:
It was. Makes your argument even sillier. It also wasn't on april fools day and was not meant in any way as a prank. Know before you post.
Hmmm. Shouldn't we at least know each other a little bit better before you start talking to me like you're my ex-wife? :uhoh:

Goobermunch

Explorer
Wow. It's true. Americans have lost their sense of humor. It's a real tragedy.

April Fool's Day isn't just about lying. It's about celebrating the silly, irreverant, and inappropriate. You know, things that the Brits and the Americans avoid like the plague day in and day out. It's about indulging your childish side and taking the piss out of life.

If you've so lost touch with the ability to see humor in the cognitive indigestion that comes from reading today's news post, maybe you should take the day off from work and rent cheesy '80's comedies until you regain your sense of humor. This is one day where you can get away with being goofy, with using the old whoopie cushion or the joy buzzer. Don't worry, though, it will be over in less than 24 hours, and then you can go back to your dull, drab, humorless job.

--G

am181d

Adventurer
The Mirrorball Man said:
If we were to follow your idea, I don't know where it would lead us... Orson Welles famous radio prank about aliens in 1938 would have been punctuated by "don't believe that guy, folks, it's just make-believe!"...

A point of clarification: Orson Welles' WAR OF THE WORLDS broadcast was not intended to confuse anyone. The opening of the show makes it incredibly clear that it's a radio play. The problem is that people tuning in late didn't know what they were listening, too.

Though I have it on good authority that there WERE real martians involved. Whether these martians are planning on buying WOTC, I don't know.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Kahuna Burger said:
And frankly, any source of information which activly participates in Liars Day without some marking or revealing the 'joke' in the message loses my respect as a news source the other 364 days of the year too.

If the sarcastic tone and the in-jokes (D&D 3.501?) in the Microsoft announcement weren't enough to tip you off, you need to do one of two things:

1) read more carefully, or
2) send me $20 and a copy of the posting to be verified, and I will tell you whether it is a hoax or not.

The above offer is open to anyone with difficulty with April Fool's news posts, regardless of their place of employment, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, creed, or operating system of choice. Invalid where prohibited by law. All payments are non-refundable. No guarantees are expressed or implied regarding the accuracy of this service.

J

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads