• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Labelling April Fools

jester47

First Post
Kahuna,

All that stuff with the NYT just proves you should never put too much trust in any news source. Ever. I know I don't. And that lack of trust in news sources makes April 1st a lot more fun cause I know to expect it. So instead of getting clever lies about serious things that i am suposed to bve misled about. I get blatant lies added to the mix. I find figureing out what is a real story and a fake one quite a fun mental excercise somtimes.

"Lies are easier to believe because they are fundumentally simpler than the truth. Lies are simple because people have to keep track of them for them to work right. The truth is more often contradictory and complicated, hence its unpopularity." -- jester47

ok cheapshot time! i.e. fun at KBs expense!

I'm responding to the whole idea of Liars Day - that its some how funny to make stuff up,

and you play D&D? (really KB I know what you are saying, but it just had to be done, sorry!)

Kemrain- I don't know morse code either, but don't let that stop you! For example: -.- -... / -. . . -.. ... / - --- / ... - --- .--. / ..-. .-. . .- -.- .. -. --. / --- ..- - .-.-.-

See? Its easy, esp if you know where to look on the web...

Aaron.

Last edited:

stevelabny

Explorer
nevermind roleplaying...

ALL television shows/movies/plays(/novels) ANY WORK OF FICTION is a lie.
Why are they acceptable? (just look at what happened in Galaxy Quest :p)

And do you celebrate Christmas? Santa Clause is a lie too. Is he ok?

If the reasoning is that they are generally accepted to be untrue, SO ARE CRAZY STORIES ON APRIL 1ST.

Driddle

First Post
Steverooo said:
April Fools jokes on the so-called News page oughta be labelled as such!

Last year, people were still quoting the WotC "Press Release", saying that no one at WotC was old enough to remember Greyhawk, anyway, well into May...

Now, we have the Microsoft joke...

Don't the Admins, here, think it would be a good idea to actually MARK jokes as jokes? It seems to me to be irresponsible to do otherwise...

I agree so much with Stevie that it's not even funny. :lol: NOT funny, I say.
This sort of trolling must be stopped. Do you have any idea how many good-hearted people are going to take this seriously and act on it? If even ONE person fires off a letter to WotC or Microsoft in regards to this "joke," it's one person too many.

There's a place for pranks and not-so-funny levity, and this forum is not the place. Jokers should always be identified.

Berandor

lunatic
A good April Fools joke is something that you might be inclined to believe, only a little too outrageous. Microsoft buying D&D? They wouldn't - or would they? It might happen, stranger things did... but D&D 3.501 - phew, no way that's true.

Or is it?

The joke has to go further and further in the realm of the unbelievable, goading the audience onwards. You don't just play pranks - that's stupid. In the end, those who knew it should be able to enjoy the joke as well as those who fell for it. No degrading or nothing.
And no spoiling, either :)

Thanee

First Post
I think "lie" is a bit harsh. A lie (IMHO) is a deception with a serious purpose, while an april fool's joke does not have a serious purpose, it's just misleading people for a moment in an attempt to be funny. Having no purpose in that sense, might make it kinda useless, but obviously many people like it that way.

Bye
Thanee

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Driddle said:
This sort of trolling must be stopped. Do you have any idea how many good-hearted people are going to take this seriously and act on it?
I'm going to go out on a limb and wager zero.

If even ONE person fires off a letter to WotC or Microsoft in regards to this "joke," they're an idiot with too much time on their hands.
Fixed it for you.

There's a place for pranks and not-so-funny levity, and this forum is not the place. Jokers should always be identified.
Says who? I come here to have fun. If I wanted to be bored, I've got work I could be doing.

Driddle

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:
'If even ONE person fires off a letter to WotC or Microsoft in regards to this "joke," they're an idiot with too much time on their hands.'

Fixed it (the excerpt above) for you.

If you're going to pick on another guy and try to "fix" his quotes, please make sure you do it correctly. ONE does not call for a plural "they" or "their" pronoun.

Or are you just trolling as well?

drnuncheon

Explorer
Driddle said:
If you're going to pick on another guy and try to "fix" his quotes, please make sure you do it correctly. ONE does not call for a plural "they" or "their" pronoun.

"them" and "they" are sometimes used as gender-neutral pronouns, as in this case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads