• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Lawful" Bards

smootrk

First Post
While I do not believe a barbarian should be lawful, bards should be able to be lawful. Music can be of any style from extremely well coordinated orchestra style and of a goodly religous nature, to an informal primal and emotional style, to a 'vile' and evilish style (ala Marilyn Manson style). Bards should be able to take any alignment that matches their particular musical style. Not to mention that bards may not even be musical in nature. They may be performance in acting, oratory (stories), dance, etc. I have seen dance for instance that varies from freeform (chaotic) to ballet (formal = lawful).
I house-rule bards may be of any alignment.

smootrk

First Post
As far as the alignments of various outsiders. I believe that the outsiders are suffused with the 'stuff' of the planes they are from. Much like elementals are essentially formed from the 'stuff' of their origin plane. That would make their alignment almost impossible to change from the norm.

But then again, this is fantasy, anything can be possible. Just is it plausible?

JoeBlank

Explorer
I've been watching this thread and trying to remember the name of an author, and it finally came to me: Tanya Huff. Her series, beginning with Sing the Four Quarters, concerns bards who are part of an organization and act as agents of the King. They have strict codes of conduct, and struct me as very lawful.

More info here:
http://www.sfsite.com/lists/thuff.htm

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads