Learn about D&D organized play options

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I ran Boltsmelter's book last weekend and it ran to 5 hours.

Im absolutely perplexed how its run in 3 hours at a gaming Covention.

Kill the PCs in the first combat. That will do it!

Took us about 3 to 3.5 hours, I think. We had two tables running it, with one taking a LONG time to get out of the first combat...

Cheers!

Alphastream

Adventurer
I ran Boltsmelter's book last weekend and it ran to 5 hours.

Im absolutely perplexed how its run in 3 hours at a gaming Covention.

We played it in 4 hours at Gen Con with a huge amount of role-playing, so it should be possible. We were a table of 7 - perhaps that made combats faster if the DM didn't adjust, though I really don't know if he did. One thing I often do is play with hit points and damage. I might shave off some hit points, so a monster dies sooner, but I up the damage so the threat is still there. I haven't had to do that recently. Not all DMs are willing to do that, of course, and that's fine.

darjr

I crit!
Actually, that only works for the big modules, per the current AL rules.

Actually not completely. In the players guide it talks about what to do if you have issues either not having a local store or an uncooperative one. In my case I was organizing for a convention and didn't have time to coordinate with a store. I was given official access to the mods to run for that convention. Thanks to my FLGS it was all worked out and they did end up being sanctioned by the store.

Note, your mileage may vary. I do not speak for WotC and they may decide to act differently in your case.

See the grey box at the bottom of page 14 of the latest 'Out of the Abyss' players guide.
If you're an independent organizer running your games at a non-store public location, you can contact Wizards to request support for your event or convention.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
Okay, I have my first Tier 5-10 coming up for one of my stores. Ive decided to run Sword of Sefaril (Im bypassing Mayhem because I think it runs too long and some issues I have with Tiering within the scenario). There are spoilers below!:

Some questions Im seeing

A) A lot of the 'Monsters' i wouldnt expect the pcs to fight have stats within the scenario. Is this if pcs go crazy and start attacking the potential allies? There are no DCS listed for talks with the potential allies, so I make my own up?

B) A certain passage of text has me very confused:

Otherwise, for every group less than three that remains, the pair of priests joins the fray and attacks the characters.

So we have a choice here of 8 groups. Lets say the PCs only get the Temple of side. So thats 1/8. Im very confused about that line. Does that mean because they only recruited 1 group to their cause that 4 priests join the fight? More? Less?

Temple of Tymora
City Watch
THe Hangmen
Red Wizards
Sark (Hawks)
Nobles
Beholder Corps
Deep Gnomes

Remove ads