Legacy of the Silver Dragon (S&W, 4th ed)

gambler1650

Explorer
Conversation #2: Antares

"Does master Corl have ambitions to rule the town then?" prompts the young one, patiently bidding his time.

"What?" Jorgen shakes himself from his momentary reverie. "Uh, no. Not that he's said. But now that I think about it. I mean, if he wanted to take over the town.. with demons.. he would hardly say anything, would he? So it makes perfect sense."

As Jorgen speaks, another customer, a young human male - sandy colored hair, grey eyes, relatively burly - moves up to the counter, brushing - physically - past Antares, and puts coin on the faded wood surface. He didn't do enough to shove Antares away, but enough to make it no accident. "Jorgen. Here's my money for this." He holds up a bag of potatoes. "Good enough?" And without waiting for an answer, he heads towards the door.

Jorgen counts the money, and nods, mumbling to himself, "Close enough anyhow." before he looks back at Antares. An odd look crosses his face, "And why are you so interested in demons?"

OOC: Give me a die roll (1D20)

OOC: Gambler, what does *Antares* know of master Corl? Job, race, marital status/children, reputation about town.

Most importantly: can he read? Does he own books/scrolls? Has he or any of his known associates ever shown any interrest in things magical (come to see Antares's father maybe?)?

OOC: Antares knows little about Corl. You've vaguely heard the name and know that he lives on a small, somewhat bedraggled farm out to the east of the town. Otherwise you and your family have had no interaction with him. You do know that Jorgen has always seemed mildly superstitious - gestures to ward off evil spirits being used fairly commonly.

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Conversation #6: Bosco

Bosco tips his cap to Daenila.

"Much obliged, gracious lady. May your pots always fire perfectly."

He restrains himself from making any remarks to Erisa, but does shoot her an incredibly lewd glance before wandering out to see if he can catch up to the straggler girl.

Well... I... Watch yourself, halfling! says Erisa before the door to her shop slams shut.

Daenila nods once, flinches slightly at the slam of the door next to her shop, and gives a slight smile to Bosco. "Thank you, young master." She returns to her sweeping.

The girls, four in all - three humans and an elf, have sauntered perhaps a couple hundred feet away, stopping every so often to look into a shop window. The one who'd looked over her shoulder is a brunette human, obviously the quiet one in the group.

OOC: Feel free to overhear another of the conversations above, or alternatively you might pass by the General Store where Antares is and overhear him and the shop keeper. Or you can focus on the girls. ;)

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The girls, four in all - three humans and an elf, have sauntered perhaps a couple hundred feet away, stopping every so often to look into a shop window. The one who'd looked over her shoulder is a brunette human, obviously the quiet one in the group.
"Whatcha lookin' for, fair princess?" Bosco drawls, as he jogs up to her as casually as he can manage.

“Did you hear? One of those mines broke through into a large cavern – all kinds of tunnels leading off from it.”
Bosco strains mightily, trying to both overhear which mine they're referring to without letting the girl know that she doesn't have his complete attention.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!

Jorgen counts the money, and nods, mumbling to himself, "Close enough anyhow." before he looks back at Antares. An odd look crosses his face, "And why are you so interested in demons?"
"Because I know so little about them?" Antares has never met a question he did not like. Or that did not need answering. "Even so simple a thing as their weave and cloth, the stuff of their very existence- Why, in truth, is their natures so inimical to ours? So much the stuff of nightmares are they, is it unfounded to think they birthed themselves there, summonings of terrible delusions made flesh?" He's getting more and more into it as he speaks, literaly glowing with enthousiasm by the end: "It is a field of knowledge I have scarce *thought of* before."

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Conversation 8: Bosco

"Whatcha lookin' for, fair princess?" Bosco drawls, as he jogs up to her as casually as he can manage.

Two of the girls - the other two humans - roll their eyes at each other, while the elf smiles quietly to herself, before glancing back into the store. The girl that Bosco has focused on flushes slightly, "Um, nothing much..." Her hand however, likely unconsciously, flutters briefly towards a dress in the shop. Given the cut of the dress, it appears rather expensive. She casts a somewhat nervous glance at her friends, likely weighing how much future teasing will result from continued conversation with the halfling. The tall blonde catches her eye and says, "Elia. Come ON. We're late."

Bosco strains mightily, trying to both overhear which mine they're referring to without letting the girl know that she doesn't have his complete attention.

A pair of older halfling men - both with calloused hands - are talking about the mine. One spits on the ground, drawing a grimace from the tall blonde. The red haired halfling is one that Bosco knows as a friend of one of his uncles. His name is Gartelo and he helps to haul the rock from the mines in the nearby hills. "Yeah. Some of the other guys went a little way into the new tunnels, but they branch out so much that they didn't feel safe exploring them much. At least nothing's come out of them yet!"

gambler1650

Explorer

"Because I know so little about them?" Antares has never met a question he did not like. Or that did not need answering. "Even so simple a thing as their weave and cloth, the stuff of their very existence- Why, in truth, is their natures so inimical to ours? So much the stuff of nightmares are they, is it unfounded to think they birthed themselves there, summonings of terrible delusions made flesh?" He's getting more and more into it as he speaks, literaly glowing with enthousiasm by the end: "It is a field of knowledge I have scarce *thought of* before."

Jorgen fidgets slightly, his expression growing somewhat colder as he listens. Finally he responds, as the door shuts behind the human who'd brushed you moments before, the chime of the door warning bell filling the store for a moment. "Look kid. Demons are trouble. You don't want to mess with them. And I hear that elves are more susceptible to wanting the power they promise..."

In the middle of Jorgen's response, you suddenly, inexplicably, feel angry. And the focus is quite specific. That bastard of a human bumped you on purpose. You could show him. Casting sleep while he was walking down the street would be quite amusing... And then just as suddenly, the sensation is gone, but you're quite aware of just how odd that felt.

Binder Fred

"Look kid. Demons are trouble. You don't want to mess with them. And I hear that elves are more susceptible to wanting the power they promise..."
"Truly?" Antares tilts his head quizzically, his bi-coloured hair tilting down with the move (mid-length white hair on the right, slightly longer auburn hair on the left). "All the stories I have heard involved humans.... Or the green ones." By which he means the goblinoids.

In the middle of Jorgen's response, you suddenly, inexplicably, feel angry. And the focus is quite specific. That bastard of a human bumped you on purpose. You could show him. Casting sleep while he was walking down the street would be quite amusing... And then just as suddenly, the sensation is gone,
and he is left very calm, seemingly looking at himself looking at the world from a spot a little behind his own eyes -- which is not an unusual condition for him.

From that spot he scans the store from left to right, cataloguing people present and - dare he dream? - otherworldly influences!

OOC: Not forgetting to look through the store windows and in the area behind the counter as well, please.

Does Antares think this could be mortal magic? Can he tell which level would be required/what the requirements of the spell would be if that was the case? By the way: cooool :cool:.

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer

"Truly?" Antares tilts his head quizzically, his bi-coloured hair tilting down with the move (mid-length white hair on the right, slightly longer auburn hair on the left). "All the stories I have heard involved humans.... Or the green ones." By which he means the goblinoids.

Jorgen's voice takes on an annoyed sound, "Are you trying to say that humans are the same as goblinoids?"

and he is left very calm, seemingly looking at himself looking at the world from a spot a little behind his own eyes -- which is not an unusual condition for him.

From that spot he scans the store from left to right, cataloguing people present and - dare he dream? - otherworldly influences!

OOC: Not forgetting to look through the store windows and in the area behind the counter as well, please.

Does Antares think this could be mortal magic? Can he tell which level would be required/what the requirements of the spell would be if that was the case? By the way: cooool :cool:.

Nobody looks obviously out of place as you start to scan the place, and move to take a look behind the counter. Your impression of the effect is that it felt similar to when a mentor cast "Charm Person" on you when teaching you the spell, but not quite the same - this had darker undertones to it. The young man who brushed you is moving past the store outside, there's a halfling mother and her child looking at simple wooden toys in a corner of the shop, and an elderly, stooped man picking through fruit in an aisle. Having been in the store for a bit, you're confident that that's everyone in the general store.

Jorgen however, scowls even more as you start looking around, and when you take a look behind the counter he says with something of a bite to his voice, "So, are you going to buy something? Kind of looks like you might be planning to liberate my store of something when I'm not looking."

You realize that Jorgen is acting much more hostile right now than he ever has before to you - or for that matter when you started the conversation. He was always distant in talking to you but you always had the impression it was because he didn't really know how to relate to elves, and he usually at least smiled at you when you came in.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

"Oh, well played," smiles Antares in realization. And just like that things are back into immediate focus: "Master Jorgen, I believe you are presently under the influence of daemonic magics. Do you feel those dark undertones? The sudden onset?" He seems almost - enthusiastic about it. "Surely a man of your inclinations must know the ways of protecting one's self from these demons?" A tilt of the head, "Silver perhaps?" He extracts a few sterlings from his belt pouch and clinks them on the counter.

OOC: Do we have names for the different coins in the Empire of Man? "sterling" seemed a natural fit for sp, so I went ahead.

gambler1650

Explorer
"Oh, well played," smiles Antares in realization. And just like that things are back into immediate focus: "Master Jorgen, I believe you are presently under the influence of daemonic magics. Do you feel those dark undertones? The sudden onset?" He seems almost - enthusiastic about it. "Surely a man of your inclinations must know the ways of protecting one's self from these demons?" A tilt of the head, "Silver perhaps?" He extracts a few sterlings from his belt pouch and clinks them on the counter.

The halfling mother seems concerned by the raised voice of Jorgen, and says to her child, "Come on Tatty. We should come back later." The young boy immediately starts to wail and she tugs him towards the door.

Master Jorgen merely looks at the coins you've put on the counter, then back at the elf's face. The sharpness subsides a bit, but he shakes his head appearing annoyed. He grabs a coin, puts it back on the counter. "You're crazy. Some wet behind the ears elf thinks he knows more about demons than me? Look, are you going to buy anything, or are you going to continue to waste my time? I've got things to unpack and put on the shelves.

The bell above the door rings again as someone enters, and behind you you hear the halfling boy scream, "I want the TOY NOW!" This is followed by a slapping sound, a shocked silence and then the mother drags the child out into the street with her.

Jorgen's eyes harden again. "Look. It's obviously a bad day. Get out of here, and I'll not ban you from the store."

OOC: Do we have names for the different coins in the Empire of Man? "sterling" seemed a natural fit for sp, so I went ahead.

No coin names, yet. I was probably just going to go with 'coppers', 'silvers', and 'golds' for use by commoners, but other terms might be used by different social classes and races, so 'sterlings' might work for a wealthier family.

Remove ads