Legacy of the Silver Dragon (S&W, 4th ed)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Antares starts to leave, puzzled, saddened, "You misunderstand, master Jorgen. I was asking for your advice, on ways to protect myself... Please, keep the silver."

He pauses at the door, reconsiders. "Will this cover it?" he asks, seizing up a small wooden logging wagon with attached wooden horse. He seems to have recovered himself, all of a sudden.

OOC: He's left 1d6+1=4 sterlings on the counter.

Who entered while his back was turned, by by the way, and what of the old man picking fruit (seems the most suspicious of the bunch, Does Antares know him/of him?)?

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Antares starts to leave, puzzled, saddened, "You misunderstand, master Jorgen. I was asking for your advice, on ways to protect myself... Please, keep the silver."

He pauses at the door, reconsiders. "Will this cover it?" he asks, seizing up a small wooden logging wagon with attached wooden horse. He seems to have recovered himself, all of a sudden.

As you pause, you see who entered: a middle aged human male, one of the craftsmen around town - the armorer, named Garath. When you speak, Jorgen replies. "Yeah, sure..." His tone seems somewhat more subdued but there's still an undercurrent of annoyance to it.

The wagon and horse really are nicely crafted: unpainted, but enough fine scratches deliberately placed, to give the illusion of the horse's coat, and the bark of the logs in the wagon.

OOC:

Who entered while his back was turned, by by the way, and what of the old man picking fruit (seems the most suspicious of the bunch, Does Antares know him/of him?)?

Antares, now that he focuses on the old man, remembers seeing him around town, but he never appeared to engage people in conversation. You even said hello to him once, a couple of years ago, but he didn't even react, just as he didn't react to any of the recent events in the store. As you open the door, and the bell rings, the answr why suddenly comes... not from your memory, but from Jorgen who grumbles with annoyance. "Deaf old coot. Just comes in here to ogle young women."

gambler1650

Explorer

As you pause, you see who entered: a middle aged human male, one of the craftsmen around town - the armorer, named Garath. When you speak, Jorgen replies. "Yeah, sure..." His tone seems somewhat more subdued but there's still an undercurrent of annoyance to it.

The wagon and horse really are nicely crafted: unpainted, but enough fine scratches deliberately placed, to give the illusion of the horse's coat, and the bark of the logs in the wagon.

OOC:

Antares, now that he focuses on the old man, remembers seeing him around town, but he never appeared to engage people in conversation. You even said hello to him once, a couple of years ago, but he didn't even react, just as he didn't react to any of the recent events in the store. As you open the door, and the bell rings, the answr why suddenly comes... not from your memory, but from Jorgen who grumbles with annoyance. "Deaf old coot. Just comes in here to ogle young women."

Binder Fred

Binder Fred said:
"Please, keep the silver."
But even that does not seem to sway the storekeep towards helping (or into starting him a tab, for that matter). It is... disappointing.

Jorgen replies. "Yeah, sure..." His tone seems somewhat more subdued but there's still an undercurrent of annoyance to it.
"My thanks." Antares exits to the ring of the bell, brushing past the one who so recently entered (a middle aged human male, one of the craftsmen around town - the armorer, Garath as a matter of fact) with a smile and a polite 'excuse me'. Once out on the wooden planking of the street, he scans both ways, catches sight of his quarry and quickly catches up to them.

Antares gently squats down, careful of his robes, before presenting the toy to the child. "With your mother's permission?" he asks, looking down into her blue eyes (she is really quite small, even for a hafling).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Two of the girls - the other two humans - roll their eyes at each other, while the elf smiles quietly to herself, before glancing back into the store. The girl that Bosco has focused on flushes slightly, "Um, nothing much..." Her hand however, likely unconsciously, flutters briefly towards a dress in the shop. Given the cut of the dress, it appears rather expensive. She casts a somewhat nervous glance at her friends, likely weighing how much future teasing will result from continued conversation with the halfling. The tall blonde catches her eye and says, "Elia. Come ON. We're late."
"I think you'd look lovely in that dress, Elia," Bosco confides in a lowered voice. "But a beautiful flower is as beautiful bound with twine as it is the finest ribbon. Perhaps you could save a dance for me at the Harvest Ball?"

A pair of older halfling men - both with calloused hands - are talking about the mine. One spits on the ground, drawing a grimace from the tall blonde. The red haired halfling is one that Bosco knows as a friend of one of his uncles. His name is Gartelo and he helps to haul the rock from the mines in the nearby hills. "Yeah. Some of the other guys went a little way into the new tunnels, but they branch out so much that they didn't feel safe exploring them much. At least nothing's come out of them yet!"
Bosco's eyes dart to Gartelo and he tries to remember where the older halfling spends his evenings.

gambler1650

Explorer
Conversation #2: Antares

But even that does not seem to sway the storekeep towards helping (or into starting him a tab, for that matter). It is... disappointing.

"My thanks." Antares exits to the ring of the bell, brushing past the one who so recently entered (a middle aged human male, one of the craftsmen around town - the armorer, Garath as a matter of fact) with a smile and a polite 'excuse me'. Once out on the wooden planking of the street, he scans both ways, catches sight of his quarry and quickly catches up to them.

Antares gently squats down, careful of his robes, before presenting the toy to the child. "With your mother's permission?" he asks, looking down into her blue eyes (she is really quite small, even for a hafling).

The mother covers her mouth with a hand for a moment, and then manages a smile for the elf - her eyes appear stricken however. "I... thank you." She goes quiet again as her son's eyes light up and he reaches for the toy with a grin. He echoes her, "Thank you! It's great!" and immediately he starts to unhook and rehook the horse, and checks to see if the logs come off too (they don't) too. The mother looks back to the elf, I just don't know what came over me. I mean, Tatty is never like that... He cries sometimes but doesn't scream... but I still can't believe I slapped him."

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
Conversation #8: Bosco Bracegirdle

"I think you'd look lovely in that dress, Elia," Bosco confides in a lowered voice. "But a beautiful flower is as beautiful bound with twine as it is the finest ribbon. Perhaps you could save a dance for me at the Harvest Ball?"

Elia blushes still further and stammers something that sounds like "You're most kind.. and um the dance, sure.." Her friends all snicker, except for the elf who continues to have her enigmatic smile, and then Elia is dragged away with them. She obviously takes some teasing from the other two human girls as they walk down the street.

Bosco's eyes dart to Gartelo and he tries to remember where the older halfling spends his evenings.

Bosco's seen Gartelo a time or two at one of the local tavern, called "Half and Human", which makes a big deal about having furniture sized for humans and halflings both - conveniently overlooking that every other public place in town does the same.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Bosco's seen Gartelo a time or two at one of the local tavern, called "Half and Human", which makes a big deal about having furniture sized for humans and halflings both - conveniently overlooking that every other public place in town does the same.
With the departure of the girls -- and Bosco makes sure to memorize the elf girl's face and reminds himself to ask about her later -- he finds himself now free to openly and conspicuously eavesdrop on Gartelo's conversation about the tunnels.

gambler1650

Explorer
Conversation #8: Bosco Bracegirdle

With the departure of the girls -- and Bosco makes sure to memorize the elf girl's face and reminds himself to ask about her later -- he finds himself now free to openly and conspicuously eavesdrop on Gartelo's conversation about the tunnels.

Gartelo's companion peers at Gartelo, and asks, "So. What are they gonna do? Send miners in? Seems kind of dangerous to leave it open, unexplored."

Gartelo replies, after stamping some fragrant tobacco into a pipe, lighting it and taking a puff: Well now, you're right about that. Word has that Master Harvil will want a few folk to go into the tunnels to explore them, make sure there's nothing nearby that's dangerous. Then he'll probably block them off a ways in, and do some digging on the exposed bits to see if there's anything of use to mine."

Binder Fred

Conversation #2: Antares

I just don't know what came over me. I mean, Tatty is never like that... He cries sometimes but doesn't scream... but I still can't believe I slapped him."
Antares straightens, reflexively dusting non-existent debris from his robes. "You do not use physical discipline?" He seems mildly surprised.

<Response Mother?>

<After:

Antares watches them go, smiling and raising a hand in answer to the small one's parting wave, but mostly he is now back inside himself, pondering events just past.

It seems, in deed, that rather than a targeted attack - it seemed so very personal at the time - the vexing effect was instead more generalized than first thought, affecting the whole of the store at once. In truth, this 'Vexing' had felt similar to when his sire had cast "Charm Person" on him when he first learned the spell, and yet not quite the same - this one had... darker undertones to it, besides the specificity of action suggested. Perhaps- and this is an exciting thought - Perhaps there is something to master Jorgen's demon story after all!

Indeed, a mortal caster remained more than elusive -- granted the high unlikelihood of it being any that were in the store at the time! Ah, but little he could do against possibly evanescent, invisible or perhaps even bodiless fiends with his present complement of spells. A deflating thought... And similarly with the possessed, whether objects cursed or persons seduced. If only <Fenris' character> were here, he-

The young elf blinks, straightens, looks around the streets. He had been thinking only of a single caster, whether within or within sight of the store... But - BUT - what if the spell was not just cast, but anchored to - say - a young man carrying a sack of potatoes?

OOC: I don't suppose the young human who bumped him in the store is still visible? Does his theory make sense, by the way, granted what he knows of the events and the ways of magic?

Last edited:

Remove ads