Legacy of the Silver Dragon (Swords and Wizardry Core, 4th Ed)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
I'll vote:

1. Demons (2 points)
2. Herbs (for the map and curiosity about the herbs themselves; 1 point)

The Anne story hook is only interresting to Antares for its possible conection with the Demons hook. :) No IC interrest at all for Caverns, unfortunately (think it's the highest-risk one OOC as well; mages break too easy at first level...).

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
A point to make, so that all of us are on the same page. You will primarily receive experience points through treasure (and killing creatures, or dealing with said creatures effectively without killing them), as is the old school (and S&W Core Rules) way (page 25 of the 4th Edition S&W rules).

In this campaign, experience points will also be given for roleplaying and/or 'story awards' (effectively completing a mission) but will CAP OUT for each character at 25% of the amount necessary to get to the next level. So, for a first level Fighter, the maximum roleplaying/story awards that can be gained are 500 XP, the rest of the 1500 to get to Level 2 will have to come from handling foes/gaining treasure.

I'll vote:

1. Demons (2 points)
2. Herbs (for the map and curiosity about the herbs themselves; 1 point)

The Anne story hook is only interresting to Antares for its possible conection with the Demons hook. :) No IC interrest at all for Caverns, unfortunately (think it's the highest-risk one OOC as well; mages break too easy at first level...).

gambler1650

Explorer
Oh, and something I was just mulling for the clerics... While doing the right thing for the right reason is of course, greatly appreciated by your faiths, churches and superiors... 'adventuring priests' are also encouraged to return with some monetary rewards to help fund the spread of the faith and the maintenance of the structures.

What this will amount to in game terms is, you will be asked to return 10% of all you gain in wealth back to the church/faith. In return, you - and possibly the party, will receive certain benefits - the use of items (weapons, magic items, etc, healing by priests). This is something I thought of, given the conversation regarding which way to choose, and my reminder above that gold/handling foes, will be the primary way to gain XP in this system.

What this means for your _current_ situation is that not only would you be expected to do things for people in the community, but the community members would also expect to recompense you for such services. As such, I'm going to go back to the scene with Anna's foster mother and rule that she offered 150 GP for simply finding out what happened to her, and 500 GP if she is returned via the party's help.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

I've come accross a really nice variation where PCs earn XP for gold *spent* instead of just gold earned. It really brings a nice sense of GREED into the campaign. :) Thieves are reviled, treasure dividing gains a real sting, and that return to town ladden down with treasure can be... nerve wracking.

What do you think?

gambler1650

Explorer
Oh, I don't think we need to get that paranoid and greedy... and if the XP is based on gold each player pockets then I think there's still potential for treasure divying squabbles if the players so desire. The worry about returning home with the treasure is entertaining sounding... I might compromise and say that you don't have to spend the gold to get the XP, but you DO have to return to a home base... I'll think about it..

I've come accross a really nice variation where PCs earn XP for gold *spent* instead of just gold earned. It really brings a nice sense of GREED into the campaign. :) Thieves are reviled, treasure dividing gains a real sting, and that return to town ladden down with treasure can be... nerve wracking.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Binder Fred

The real effect of the "spent" system is of course to give an OOC value to gold, in a medium all players treasure (namely character advancement :)). I focused on greed in the post above, but the system also makes the converse of greed truly admirable, generosity truly worthy of praise (you're *giving away* XP!). My feeling is that it adds a nice immediacy to the system, but YMMV, of course.

*=Tithing to their own church might be considered "spending gold" for priests though.

gambler1650

Explorer
I see your point, but I also see the treasure simply as a way to gauge how much worthwhile 'action' the characters have seen (in addition, of course, to the beneficial things it can bring the characters themselves). In many respects, especially in 'old school' games, you level up as much with what you find or buy in the way of items as you do in XPs since increasing levels doesn't bring the same equivalent of new feats, skills, etc as in 3.0+...

I think I'll stick with the characters having to come back to a safe place with their loot before the XP get awarded, but they don't have to be spent to gain the XP.

The real effect of the "spent" system is of course to give an OOC value to gold, in a medium all players treasure (namely character advancement :)). I focused on greed in the post above, but the system also makes the converse of greed truly admirable, generosity truly worthy of praise (you're *giving away* XP!). My feeling is that it adds a nice immediacy to the system, but YMMV, of course.

*=Tithing to their own church might be considered "spending gold" for priests though.

Binder Fred

Seeing as the PCs don't (yet?) have a base of operations, what would the Safe Place be in this case? The town itself? The Half-and-Human? Our residences?

Or I guess we could always designate one of our residences as our basecamp? Hey, how about that old club house we all built in the back of Mysthyr or Muzdin or Bosco's yard/land when we were kids? :D (Could be where Antares is sleeping now as well.)

gambler1650

Explorer
I'm basically just thinking the town, but yes, y'all should have a 'base of operations' once you actually start going out and becoming bona fide adventurers...

gambler1650

Explorer
Also, Voda Vosa, your starting HPs are 6. The method used here is to halve your rolled HP (in your case 4), add to half of the maximum you could have gotten rounded down (in your case, 7), and then add your CON bonus (in your case, +1). So 2 + 3 + 1...

Just going through characters to make sure everything looks right.

Remove ads