Legend of the Monkey Mage - The End (Final Update, 26 Jun 06)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Otherday, 15th of Firstmonth, 1534 ER

Most of us remain in Southwatch, training and spending our moneys. Sydnius pursues a second owlbear to add to his pack of beasts, while Lukkar continues his dealings with the Redroad Trading Coster.

Metabus HighKeep headed towards the remains of Highkeep today, with a few of his retainers and Night's Return. He plans to force the night fey to honour their oaths and leave this land in peace. I wish him luck.

After a meeting of the remaining Valiant Blade, Sakorat has been made official leader, with Lukkar acting as deputy. At least this means that our company will have good publicity, and lots of it.

Airday, 21st of Firstmonth, 1534 ER

Today we heard confirmation of disturbing rumours. The valhenu have abandoned their borderforts on the edge of Highkeep and are building new ones on the eastern edges of Southwatch. They say that the pact they made with the Regent of Sohal was to protect the borders of Sohal, and they no longer see Highkeep as a part of Highkeep. It is too ruined, ravaged by the night-fey, with it's noble family reduced to the charity of others.

Their new patrols roam the eastern edge of the Marsh of the Greenking, along some of the River Whistle and east of the Harrowmoor. Nightjewel Mansion is now the eastern border of Southwatch.

I have heard other rumours, of night fey in the Harrowwood. If the rumours prove true, that should be the next place to visit for the Company of the Valiant Blade

Waterday, 24th of Firstmonth, 1534 ER

Lady Fulvia HighKeep has left with a small entourage, heading north to other Sohalese City-States, hoping to find aid from Whiteblade, Sunkeep, Starcastle or Northwatch. May the Green watch her path.

There is news of a sage to the west, in Blackwatch, looking for adventurers to travel into the Deepswamp. The others are considering it, although I am advocating a stand against the fey of the Harrowwood.

Airday, 1st of Secondmonth, 1534 ER

The fools! They are considering an offer from Mehi of the Redroad Trading Coster. He wants to forge a new trade route to Eastwatch in Bukon. Obviously he wants to set up some sort of black-market trade operation. Do they not see he is driven by greed and avarice. Have they not heard the tales of bandits from Eastcastle, undead from the Blackstone Hills and spies from Bukon.

Some of us have returned back to Nightjewel Mansion, where we can see the state of Highkeep for our own eyes. Now the other offer they consider is from that damned siv. Kwaku wants us to get a hydra from the Deepswamp, for his misguided attempt to gain a council of the Pack. I must make them see the path the Green has set for us.

Earthday, 3rd of Secondmonth, 1534 ER

Sakorat has recruited a new member for the Company of the Valiant Blade. Ijiru is a wizard from Mejan, a quiet man who keeps himself to himself. I trust him about as much as I would a kenku with my sword.

We have heard tales from the border of Southwatch with the Forest of the Apes. The Monkey Beastclan gather there, building something beneath a massive pavilion, keeping the inquisitive away. Another construction goes ahead in the Harrowmoor, to do with an earth genie in alliance with the Cult of the Monkey God. Undoubtedly bad news, yet the others showed little concern.

Earthday, 8th of Secondmonth, 1534 ER

The time has come. It is with sadness that I must leave the Company of the Valiant Blade. This will be my last entry into the journal, bar a miraculous return.

The others do not have the same vision as I. They plan to head west to Blackwatch, to take on the task with this sage, and find a hydra for Kwaku. I will head to the Harrowwood and see what can be done to the fey there. Sakorat has let me take four of his followers with me, sturdy warriors who will be tempered by what is to come.

Since we have joined the Company of the Valiant Blade, over half a year ago, the naiad's star has risen, gaining magical power and inner strength. His followers are many and his influence expands. Only yesterday a playwright visited him, wanting to write a script for the rescue of Night's Return, with Sakorat leading the Company of the Valiant Blade in it's greatest hour. Not an entirely accurate account.

I go now to say my farewells to the group, to fierce Zuridah, to valiant Deng, to dangerous Lukkar, to wandering Sydnius, to smiling Kwaku and to Sakorat, in whose hands their destiny lies. I once again say my goodbyes to those who fell on our path, to brave Irenke, to misguided Aquotl, to beloved Borsca and to noble Andruga, who I long misjudged.

Farewell my companions, may the Green guide your path.

Shegall Harrowborn, Warrior of the Green

Last edited:

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Day number ten of secondmonth

Kwaku read book. Kwaku like what Shannow write. He like Green like Kwaku. Kwaku not write here long. Kwaku find other to give book to. Kwaku not travel with others and he not give book to Lukkar. Goblin still not look at Kwaku in right way. And he still have dogs and not monkeys.

Kwaku have good life. Kwaku live in big room in mansion and Council of Pack grow big. There now Boar and Bat and Griffon and Owl and Raven and Toad and Badger and Wolf and Falcon and Rat and Raven and Bear and Crocodile and Hawk and Horse and Monkey and Spider. They all lead by Chol. He talking Wolverine.

Kwaku only need few more members of Pack and Council complete. Merchant from Mejan help him get Lion and Panther and Tiger. Others go to Deepswamp to get Hydra. Then Kwaku go to Northlands and get last of Pack. Life good for Kwaku.

Kwaku try to find other to write in book. They never write as good as Kwaku though. Kwaku wise now. He speak to all of Pack. Moon Lord get jealous of Pack. Maybe Kwaku buy him something so he not keep magic from Kwaku.

Last edited:

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
In the calender of the southern lands, this is the Eleventh day of the Secondmonth of 1534 Elemental Reckoning

These are the writings of Melof, son of Talek, scion of the Tiger beastclan, strongest warriors of the Northlands. My mother was Ourdylyc, daughter of Kerenza, almost a queen among our people, known for her greatest deed, the humbling of cave giant and goblin tribes at the Battle of the Bloody Valley.

I have been hired by the Redroad Trading Coster to guard the leader of the Company of the Valiant Blade, the naiad Sakorat. I can't say I've served one of the water-kin before, but he has a reputation for finding glory and wealth. If some of it passes to me, so much the better. He is a priest of the Lord of the Green Claw and the warrior Immortal Tunli, neither of which I know much of or care to find out about.

He and his company head west to the Sohalese city-state of Blackwatch, to find a sage for further journeyings. I like Blackwatch. They pay their mercenaries well, they understand the right of plunder and the joy of battle.

Sakorat seems to understand mercenaries too. I put on the dumb warrior from the north act, which the southerners nearly always fall for, but the naiad saw right through it. We had a brief conversation, where I made it clear my duty was to protect him and him alone. After an offer of a half-share in the company's plunder, I expanded my duty to a selected few of the others too. Tiger has blessed me well here.

The others of the Company are a mixed lot, and most seemed to fall for my act, with a low opinion of my wisdom and judgment, taking me for the savage I try to be. Lukkar is the veteran of the group, a goblin hunter I could do well to watch. Sydnius, son of Arthyen is a scion of Horse, a brother of Tiger. He rides a wasp and keeps two bears with the heads of owls as his allies in battle. Ijiru is the newest of the Company, a weakling wizard from Mejan, soft of voice and no doubt weak of heart. Battle will bring out the truth. The last, Irenke, daughter of Ismah is a tain fostered to the Hydra beastclan. She has said little as yet, under some kind of illness, keeping herself to herself.

Kwaku, a frog-man priest of the Pack, gave me this journal before we set off, explaining much of its contents. It is my duty to record the journeys and trials of the Company of the Valiant Blade. Tiger grant my time with them is longer that some.

In keeping with the writings of Shegall Harrowborn, this is Waterday, 11th of Secondmonth

We passed through the city of Southwatch today, sadly not staying to drink and sample the finer things in life. A weak city, forced to submit at the Treaty of Greenbarrows along with Highkeep. I was on the winning side that time, paid by the Lord of Eastcastle, known to these unfortunates as the Tyrant of Eastcastle.

So far I have kept to myself. Until they have proven themselves in battle, I have little to say to any except Sydnius. They have shown some balls, choosing the Bandit's Road through to Hopebridge instead of the long route past Whiteblade lands. Probably a good thing, as I've slain many of that family's guardsmen in the recent wars.

Evening of Earthday, Seventeenth day of Secondmonth, year of 1534

They have proven themselves in battle tonight.

We camped in a small traveler's lodge, off the road and not far from the Deepswamp where the siv roam. Small lizard-creatures crept up on us under the dark of the moon, using magic to guide their bolts of metal.

On the edge of the campsite I battled larger lizards with a sickening stench, alongside Lukkar on his dog, Sydnius on his wasp and the two owlbears. Ijiru used magics to grant us the speed of Hawk and Sakorat blessed us with the power of the Immortals. Our foes soon fell to our blades, except for one larger snake-humanoid, which was stronger than the others. But its' enchantments failed along with its courage, Sydnius felling it with his axe as the creature tried to flee our wrath. Lukkar chased after the crossbow wielding lizards, but they quickly disappeared, leaving the field of battle in our hands.

The naiad was using some magic on me to aid in battle, creating a link where he took much of my pain onto himself. It greatly aided us, but if he were the warrior and I the priest, I would not take the pain of a mercenary.

Not a battle to write into the ballads, but one more on the path to glory.

Last edited:

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Midday of Earthday, Twenty-second day of Secondmonth

After swift travel along the Bandit's Road, yesterday saw us in the free town of Hopebridge, on the edge of Blackspider Wood. It is a den of thieves, cut throats, warlocks and swords-for-hire. The law is kept by mysterious forces and strangers are watched by floating skulls. I saw a few of my comrades from the last few years, mercenaries from my own clan and others from Falcon, and Horse. They told me someone in Hopebridge was hiring and paying good gold, but sadly I am under contract to Sakorat. Maybe another time.

The others were not keen to stay and we soon headed on. The sort of place Lukkar could make a home in, and maybe Sakorat. But not the others.

23rd of Secondmonth

Today we saw four grey renders guarding a small cat. Sydnius talked of luring the cat off to have the renders guard us. An idea with merit, but the others thought it might be too dangerous. I could see that too. There was talk of packs of grey renders being known in the Deepswamp, up to thirty strong. If they don't find us, we won't find them.

Evening, Otherday, 25th of Secondmonth

Today saw me continue my savage warrior charade, as we reached the village of Blackcreek and the sage Demetrios. The doddering old man hired us, telling us some meandering tale about a cult which used a black flame in the swamp. He wants to put out the black flame, but needs some nuts roasted in them to make his magic potion. Not really sure what he was on about, and nor did the others. However, after some fast-talking by Sakorat, he increased on the first offer in magic artefacts, and a bargain was struck. We're the second adventuring groups he's hired. The other one didn't come back.

The tower is a couple of days in the swamp, not used by the cult for a hundred years. Apparently they were destroyed by an armed mob from Westwatch. But as both the cult and the Westwatches are no more, no one seems to know much about it.

Some wizard of the Red Conclave called Torith was using it a year ago, but no-one has seen him for months. A massive beacon of light has been visible from the tower, no-one knows its source. Torith's apprentice apparently went out there with some hired help, no doubt to loot the place.

He has hired another magister to go along with us, a pale-faced weak looking old man by the name of Kapix. If he lives through the swamp I'd be amazed, though I have been wrong before.

Midday, 1st of Thirdmonth, 1534 Elemental Reckoning

The Deepswamp is a miserable, damp, murky hole of a place, where the siv live. It is also our home for the next week or so. The water often comes up to neck level, but Lukkar and Sydnius seem capable guides. The old man has disturbed us all with coughing and strange glances. The animals avoid him, seemingly scared for some reason.

For now we follow the beacon of the tower, keeping watch for hydras, crocodiles and packs of gray renders.

2nd of Thirdmonth

Kapix used his first proper spell today, exploding a ball of fire among a pack of blood-sucking bird-like pests. They didn't disturb us after that, serving only as food for other predators. He still coughs alot though.

Midday of Wateday, 4th of Thirdmonth

A patrol of siv stopped us near to Torith's Tower, claiming the lands in the name of King Yiss. As we don't want the lands, Kapix spoke to them, granted safe passage by a bribe of a bright pendant.

Compared to other siv I have seen, they were actual savages, carrying clubs, slings and no armour. No doubt they are still deadly, using kicks and punches in place of swords. They also have the advantage of terrain, walking on the swamp like it was a cobbled path. Plus there are only seven of us, and several thousand of them. Nothing like numbers to even it up.

Afternoon of Waterday, 4th of Thirdmonth

We followed an old road for the last few hundred feet to the tower, crossing a couple of bridges to reach some gate-house. Sydnius had a quick flyover on his wasp and fled from a wyvern nesting in the roof of the main keep.

At the gate-house we met some Sohalese scum, who didn't want us around here. An attack on the base of the tower ensued, lead by myself and supported by a ball of fire and other magics from Kapix, arrows from the goblin, unknown spells from Ijiru and Sydnius on a solitary attack of the top of the tower. Two humans tried to attack from horseback, but that soon proved futile. One tried to get away through a trapdoor, but Ijiru proved this an unwise idea, scorching the guard's nether regions as he tried to haul himself up. We left him curled on the floor, oblivious to all around.

A group of naiad crossbowmen and human guards awaited us on the second storey, but a prayer from Sakorat sent them into chaos, fighting one another and babbling incoherently. I butchered them as they deserved.

Then we heard the ones remaining in the top storey had a prisoner. Assuming it was Sydnius and not yet wanting him to depart our company, we have stopped briefly to resolve the matter.

End of Session Twenty-One

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Hmm, I suddenly got curious to look at this thread and once I read the background and started reading about Salamanders and Pech I was downright intrigued, but the actual entries. . . I would recommend putting paragraph breaks between each paragraph (it looks like you may have started doing that more later on, but I did not look too close as I don't want to spoilerize myself ;)) because as it is very difficult to read -at least for me anyway, though I think others might agree.

Anyway, really cool background stuff and I am interested in seeing how this plays out. :)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Edited whole thread, breaking down blocks of text into more manageable pieces.

Also added indicators of time of day for latter entries where multiple entries occurred in a day.

Back to an update now. :)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Evening of Wateday, 4th of Thirdmonth

It was indeed Sydnius that the brigands held. Kapix spoke to them and negotiated a deal. We would let them leave and they were to leave Sydnius at the second bridge along the causeway. If it Sydnius was dead, then we would follow them and butcher them all. A fair trade.

We saw them take our comrade's body away from the gatehouse and leave it at the agreed place. It could have been a hard fight still. There was one plate-armoured human carrying another body, one priest in robes indicating allegiance to the Lord of the Green Claw, a siv warrior, the human archer from the top level and two other bandits in scale.

We let them go unmolested and collected the Horse beastclansman's body. He was missing his sword, a powerful weapon which could take the form of bow or sword or any other weapon the wielder desired. If he survives, Sydnius may learn to curb his recklessness.

We secured the gatehouse, taking shelter in one of the top rooms. Zuridah lead the owlbears into the lower stable, leaving them to feast on the corpses of the fallen and guard our backs.

A thorough search of our temporary home turned up a book of spells, a gem and a small amount of gold, as well as the weapons and armour of our foes. After making sure none of the fallen would make it to the next day, we prepared to rest.

Morning of Otherday the 5th

Our night was disturbed only by movements on the roof. Nothing disturbed us and we had no need to investigate, returning to our slumbers.

The old man's cough seems to have gone, throwing off whatever malady the Deepswamp had infected him. But in it's place Sakorat, Ijiru and Andruga appear to have gone down with some deadly fever which we cannot treat. Zuridah and Kapix are determined to continue the exploration of these ruins, alongside the now conscious Sydnius. I will be at their side, lest I forfeit my half-share of any plunder.

Our wounded tracker soon located his wasp and, with owlbears in tow, the exploration began. Three statues were to be seen on top of our gate-house, identified by Kapix as gargoyles, creatures from the earthen planes. They watched us for a short while before flying off. A wise choice.

Much of the walls around the keep had collapsed, and most of the buildings were falling down, covered in swamp weeds and worse. As we surveyed one tower still intact, we were hailed by a human female, dressed for travel. Swords were readied but after a few words we determined she was no threat.

Her name was Lera Truehilt, a hunter from Sohal who had lost her companions, fleeing from a pack of grey renders. She was the lucky one then. Lost in the swamp, a group of armoured men had directed her here. A very familiar group to us, identical to our friends from yesterday. She offered her aid for a day, as a priest of Cepheus, Lord of the Hunt, in return for an equal share. To my gall, the others agreed. Prayers to her fey patron healed the Horse warrior of his injuries.

Zuridah brought down the sturdy door with one mighty kick, revealing webbing and two giant spiders within the tower. A ball of fire from Kapix removed the webbing and crippled the spiders. The tain crushed one against the wall and the second got caught in a beam of light from our new comrade as it attempted to flee.

I was impressed. These people didn't go for a gentle touch. My regard for all of them is the better for it.

A brief search of the tower turned up nothing new, and we finished our tour of the outer buildings. We did catch sight of green mists the size of a man, floating into the main keep. Kapix called them vampiric mists, creatures which surround their victims and drain his blood. To be avoided then

The last item of interest was a pit the width of four human men among the ruins of a section of wall. As deep as it was wide, there were signs of tunnels from the bottom, and the sounds of creatures speaking the tongue of earth. We are leaving it alone in favour of the central keep.

Afternoon of the 5th

After a brief rest, we made ready to enter the main keep. It is fifteen paces square and four floors high, with a sizable section of the roof collapsed, one corner of the third and fourth floors destroyed by the green beacon which guided us here. Narrow stairs lead up to 2 wooden planks which provided access to the entrance of the second floor. That was our route in.

At the gatehouse we glimpsed a trio of giant lizard-creatures, like those which attacked us on the Bandit's Road. We made the quick decision to avoid them and press into the central keep. We had caught glimpses of people within the keep, and assumed a hostile reception after our encounter the day before. Kapix and Lera prepared a few spells and Zuridah lead the way in, with the owlbears guarding our rear.

The way in was well defended, Zuridah fighting her way past two tentacled giant centipedes, a portcullis, burning oil and a shape-shifting guardian to get to the inner guardians. The defenders were lead by a magi and his bodyguard, catching several of us in balls of fire and an exploding rock. The shape-shifting creature had some sort of coating over it, snatching away Lera's shield. It then pushed Kapix and our new comrade down 20 feet before trying to flee along the outside of the wall, disguising itself as decorations. Kapix claims he weakened and blinded it with his magic. Maybe he did.

Sydnius was overcome with the blindness of Bat again, deciding to try and find a way in through the roof on his overgrown wasp. He disturbed the wyverns we had seen before and soon fled, his loyal steed bleeding and torn from talons and stings. Only Horse can know what has come into his mind. Maybe Crocodile haunts his dreams. He did manage to batter the shape-shifter to death as it hid against the outer wall.

The rest of us, lead by Zuridah, made our way into the inner keep. The enemy magi concealed himself with his magic, The tain battled with the magi's guard, a large human in plate, with sword and shield. She inflicted grievous wounds on her foe, Kapix finishing off the task, calling up tentacles from the ground around most of us. The old man's creatures took down the guard before the magi banished them once more.

The battle had turned as our unseen foe fled Zuridah's fury and Kapix's greater power. His last minion, a cave giant, was caught in a hail of ice and then cut down by the tain. Upstairs we found a servant's body, no more pouring oil down on us, having been crushed by chunks of magical ice. There was also the escape route of the enemy magi, who we assume got out through the upper levels.

Lera restored our battered bodies and we put our wounded foes to the sword. Among the plunder was an enchanted helmet and a magical sword, both from the human guard. Two vampiric mists emerged from another room to feast on the fallen, leaving us be as we left them to their meal. Our one casualty is the wasp, overcome at last by the wyvern's sting.

Kapix proved his mastery of dark arts by making use of the cave giant's body. A ritual caused it's bones to rise in his service, shedding its flesh and organs. Its eyes glow with an eerie light and it talks in a disturbing screech, warning the old man of how it will slay him. So far Kapix will die in hideous pain, his flesh used as a mat, his head fed to the swamp creatures. Kapix didn't seem too disturbed, although slightly annoyed it wouldn't obey his commands to keep quiet.

A search of the second and third chambers revealed a bedchamber, closets of clothes, a library of books and the workplace of an alchemist. Much of the vials and potions are of value, Zuridah is hoarding all of the books and Kapix cackling over a large book of spells. One cabinet of hardened glass, which the tain smashed down, contained twelve other books of interest, to be perused once Kapix has countered any magical defences on them

We also turned up three ivory keys, which correspond to some sort of circular platform with runes upon it. I have no understanding of it, but the others think it will lead to the black flame we search for. Again, we leave it for now.

During our search we were disturbed by a glowing light which attacked the owlbears still outside. It fled when we rushed down to it, but we suspect it lairs in the well from the kitchen on the second floor. Another place we can't easily explore without some sort of enchantment.

As the day wore on Lera took her leave, deciding to chance the swamp with our directions. She took the magical sword as her share, fair in everyone's eyes. I wish her luck, though the brothers of Hydra and Crocodile are more likely to greet her than human lands again.

Our last exploration of the day was the larder on the first floor. Three giant stinking lizard-creatures had managed to get down there. Zuridah lead the way again, slaying all three with aid from my blade, the Horse beastclansman's arrows and the old man's spells. There was little of worth down there, but we did uncover a shaft leading far down below the keep.

Now we rest in the bedroom and library of the Keep, talking of where to explore next. The wyverns are still upstairs, the shaft from the larder could lead to the Deeps and there is still the pit out by the wall. We have yet to investigate the massive beacon on the second floor and the wisp is still around. Kapix is keen to look at the runes come tomorrow, and the magi may still be active. Sydnius wants to try to attract a hydra from the swamp to serve him, and the tain mentioned a brief foray into the swamp to appease the curse of her kind.

With luck some of our companions will overcome their fever, as tomorrow could be another dangerous day. And if that skeletal giant isn't quiet, it may spend it's days alone in a larder.

End of Session Twenty-Two

DeGlove

First Post
Oh dear, how much did he spend on that weapon? :lol: and he wants to replace the wasp with a Hydra? That should be... interesting... at least Kwaku'll be pleased.
There;s a key puzzle? Hmm... I've done enough thinking this week, I'll wait for someone else to work it out ;)

Wyverns, Earth creatures, will'o'wisp... still plenty left to kill then, that's the main thing ;)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Night of Otherday the 5th

Something tried to enter my dreams tonight. A force filled with hate for one of the others, driven by vengeance from a far away place. I felt it was trying to get to another, to wreak some sort of havoc.

Knowing nothing of fighting such things, I give thanks to Raven that I awoke before it consumed me. Before we parted, I gazed briefly through its eyes. Among some sort of ruins, it battled two humans and a salamander with a goblin and naiad looking on. The last I saw was the goblin raising his bow with an arrow nocked.

One of the humans bore a resemblance to Sydnius, while the goblin and naiad looked like others of my travelling companions. I did not recognise the others.

I am sure this creature will return, and we will make ready for it.

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Airday, 6th of Thirdmonth

Before dawn, Lukkar and Zuridah travelled out into the swamp for a short walk to sate the tain's curse of wanderlust. They returned, having seen a figure riding some sort of griffon or other flying beast out there. For now we wait while Sydnius calls upon the spirit world to provide him with another beast for his pack.

The swamp fever of the others appears to have passed. All are well and we are keen to continue exploring the ruins here. Zuridah has been looking through many of the books, searching for anything of interest.

Afternoon of the 6th

The latest beast friend of Sydnius is another creature of the Pack, a hydra with five heads. For now it sits outside of the keep, as the thing cannot easily get inside. We have investigated the books from the cabinet yesterday. Sakorat was able to tell that they were all magical, and I refused to have anything to do with them.

They took turns in opening them, taking few precautions. One tried to crush the naiad's mind, another went blank after Ijiru read it and he will not say what it contained. Another was consumed in an explostion of fire, two contained spells for Kapix, one detailed a ritual to animate some sort of unliving creature, and the others were books on the former gods, the life-cycle of some creature called a beholder, notes about leadership and a detailed analysis on marsh fevers.

The helmet from the human guard yesterday was also magical. And bore some sort of curse, which Kapix has found out. He cannot remove it and does not seem as aware of things as normal. His own foolish fault. Another may be able to remove it with their magics.

For now we prepare to slay the wyverns living up on the roof.

Remove ads