Legend of the Monkey Mage - The End (Final Update, 26 Jun 06)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Evening of the 6th

Since I last wrote has been my most trying time with the Company of the Valiant Blade. This place seems to change their very natures.

The wyverns were overcome in a few short moments, by the strength of Zuridah and Sydnius, the arrows of Lukkar and by fire summoned by Kapix. There was nothing else of interest in the uppermost level, so we cleared a path to see more of the green beacon that shines far into the sky.

Sakorat was brought to his knees by the power of beacon when he called on his patrons to let him feel its magic. Some tests with broken bits of wood and metal showed that it greatly sped the ravages of time, rusting iron in minutes. The tain dragged the body of one of the still breathing wyverns to the light to see what would happen. It aged rapidly and within a few minutes had died. The corpse continued to shrivel and decay within the beacon.

Several minutes later we heard a roar from the swamp and a strange sight met our eyes. A white scaled wingless dragon thrashed about among the waters, over twice the size of one of the wyverns. Kapix knew of it as a tundra-wyrm, native to the Northlands I know as home and surely never seen in the Deepswamp. After we watched for a few minutes, the creature slunk away into the waters.

Thinking it was something to do with the beacon the other living wyvern was dragged to the light and we waited. Sure enough, when this one had decayed and a few minutes had passed, a dragon with burnished radiant gold scales appeared, not much larger than myself. This one appeared to be a sun dragon, also not native to these lands. It flew away after circling the beacon.

The beacon is connected in some way to the spirit world, stealing their soul from one body and creating it within another. I want nothing more to do with this, as mortals should not meddle in these matters.

After these unusual events, we decided to explore the ways beneath the keep, following a tunnel down from the larder. We found several uninhabited rooms and another trapdoor, which we have yet to explore. Beyond were several barred cells of what was once a prison, haunted by a restless spirit, which Kapix bound to his will with arcane power.

The spirit was once a cultist of the Black Flame, but has lost most of its mind. The old man could get little sense from it, and left it to guard the place it haunts. Among the cells we found some minor magical trinkets and a hidden tunnel, leading to caves beyond. We heard the sounds of cave giants beyond, and made ready to do battle.

Zuridah charged out first, hacking down one only to find many more of the brutes beyond. She fled back to the arrows of Lukkar on his hound and Sydnius, bereft of his beasts. Sakorat used his prayers to strengthen us and bewilder several of the giants. Ijiru aided with bolts of fire, burning at least two to the ground. The old man collapsed some way back down the tunnel, playing no part in the battle.

They were lead by a trio of larger giants with putrid orange skin. Lukkar, Sydnius, Zuridah and Sakorat battled their kind at the Battle of Southquarry, allies of the siv known as swamp giants. Under their direction, most of the cave giants retreated to the back of the cave, pelting us with rocks.

It did them little good, as bolts of flame, the goblin's arrows, Sakorat's prayers, the tain's axe and the staff of Sydnius fell them one by one. One cave giant turned on its leaders during the fighting for no reason, slain by the swamp giants but giving us the time to secure victory. Two of the swamp giants tried to flee to the surface, but one was cut down by the tain, resulting in just one who got away.

Kapix claims he took part in the battle, using dark magic to possess the body of one of the giants. I doubt his word. The old man is just lazy and a coward, trying to avoid strong foes. Lukkar had his doubts though, as he felt some force battling his mind during the battle. Just goblin fears, most likely.

In several sacks we found a large amount of coin, although Ijiru was disappointed with the find. There was a siv in one of the caves, a captive of the giants. It was from the tribe of King Yiss, and we refused to let it go. There were other plans for the giants who still lived, as well as the siv.

Returning to the beacon, we dragged up the bodies of those giants who still lived, feeding them to the light. In the space of an hour all were reborn, several into bodies of spike covered, hulking lizard-giants known as braxat and native to Bukon. There was also a two-head giant, a giant of the sandy desert and two water giants, both standing over three times the height of a man.

Several of the giants came to the edge of the keep, disappearing down the pit which lead to the caverns of the cave giants. The others seemed slightly concerned by this, as these new bodies are stronger forms than before and pose a greater threat.

The siv was given as sacrifice, as was an owlbear. Then, overcome by madness, Synius threw himself into the light. We watched as his visage aged, but no years of wisdom came to his eyes. When his body breathed its last, our eyes turned out into the dismal marsh, awaiting his rebirth.

The new form chosen by the spirit world is no creature I would want to be. He returned to us as a goblin woman, bereft of all pride and all possessions. I disown what he has become, the creature who was once Sydnius is no scion of the Pack, no warrior of the Northlands. It is a warped being, ripped from the worlds beyond with no place here. She has called herself Sydnia, but never will the Horse welcome her as their own.

The hydra knew this too, returning to it's marshy home, guided by the Pack from the false-goblin. The beastmaster has lost its pack.

Tonight we rest in the rooms again. I will sleep lightly, if at all. The sooner we leave this accursed place the better.

Fireday, 7th day of Thirdmonth

It has been decided to investigate the runes of the magical dais on the third floor. With the magic of Kapix we deciphered them, marking them as runes for Island, Mountain, Shrine, Dungeon and Swamp. The three ivory keys we found fit a slot in the middle of the dais. They found some way to make the a keys direct to a rune, with one doing nothing. But when Sakorat and the reborn-goblin tried another, they were taken away to a far place.

After many minutes they returned, having gone to an jungle island, standing on a tower among old ruins. They fled at the signs of some large draconic creature. I kept one of the keys as all of the others tried another of the runes. I await their return now.

Morning of the 7th

The last rune took them to the prison below the keep and they had to return on foot. They gathered for one other rune and I have not seen them since. But there have been signs of other creatures beyond the keep. I have seen several siv and suspect they might be gathering in numbers. The giants have been around the keep, although they have yet to enter.

Midday of the 7th

The Company of the Valiant Blade has yet to return. At the end of the causeway I can see many siv, some of which speak to one of the water giants. They approach now, and among them I can make out a human magi, most likely the one who fled from us two days ago. Now he returns with allies.

Having no other choice, I must bend the runes to my will and leave this place. May Tiger grant me strength and Hawk grant me courage.

End of Session Twenty-Three

Last edited:

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Evening of the 7th

For now I live.

I lie soaked in dank marsh-water, making little sound and waiting for the siv to find me. The runic circle brought me outside of the keep, the beacon still visible.

In the distance I can hear the shouts and chants of the siv, while I lay low as Crocodile does. If it does end here, may the Pack let my death be quick. Other mercenaries have told me of the fate dealt to captives by the walking frogs.

Earthday, 8th of the Third

There is hope still.

The naiad contacted me through magic, speaking into my head. They have retreated into the depths below the castle and regroup for now. I tried to reply, but do not know if he understood me.

Today is a day of waiting to see what Raven brings. I feed on lizards and any other creature which crosses my path.

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Night, the 8th

The others have used the runic circle to escape the fort and find me in the swamp. All are alive and we flee the siv, returning toward Sohal. I will find more of their tale as we leave this place.

Waterday, the 9th

We make better time now, and have completed the task set for us by Demetrios. While I waited for them in the dirty waters, they explored and looted under the fort.

They overcame water-filled rooms, a mutant giant siv who guarded a throne, walking skeletons in a pool, puzzle doors, cloth-wrapped spirits, a giant hag and other traps to find the black flame. There are some magical sticks and bottles, but nothing I have interest in. Let them sell it and give me my share.

From the version Sakorat gave, he lead the others to victory, overcoming most of the tasks nearly alone. Yet when I hear Zuridah's tale, the old man's ramblings and Ijiru's terse account, they give a different picture. But if the naiad wishes to spread himself in glory, so be it. He's the one hiring me.

They did not finish exploring all of the underground sections. Mud started pouring in from above, and they decided it was time to leave.

Earthday, 13th of the Third

We are not at Blackcreek once more, where we have handed over the nuts to Demetrios. The payment of pipes and lantern is in our hands, and the sage is inspecting the artefacts we have gained.

I celebrate another job well done and completed, with several large mugs of ale. Tonight I plan on celebrating for a long time.

14th of the Third

Our long journey back to Whistlevale has started. There is much talk of what our gold will be spent on. Beyond many drinks and bought women, I have thought on it little

Fireday, 2nd of the Fourth, 1534 ER

Southwatch City welcomed us today, with our gold and tales. Kapix wants to stay with the Company of the Valiant Blade, and our future looks strong. Tomorrow we divide the spoils and talk to the merchants. There is a red-head in the city who I have visited before, and intend to do so many more times in the coming weeks.

14th of the Fifth

The days are starting to wear on me now. We have spent much time honing our skills, resting and enjoying our gains. But my feet grow restless and I wish to travel once more. The Company have turned down small offers of work and continue to live on at Nightjewel Mansion.

Many sport extra enchanted tattoos, and magical trinkets. Sakorat has replaced one of his eyes with a glowing blue mass, some sort of enchantment on it. Zuridah turned down an offer to join the Tower of the Guardian Flame. They uphold fire as a weapon and almost a religion, purging the undead. Not for me. Would cut down options of work.

An entourage of important siv visited us, asking about the keep in the swamp. For a good amount of gold, we told them what we knew and exchanged two of the keys. The last we have kept for ourselves.

8th of the Sixth

Two nights ago we attended a ball at Southwatch. We celebrated a marriage between Southwatch and Northwatch, the names are not important. The Temple of the Golden Lord at Whistlesprings supplied us with a gift for the married two.

There were many pretty human women in attendance, and important leaders from all around. Most of my night was spent watching them and protecting the naiad, as he sang his own praises to any and all.

Otherday, 14th of the Seventh

Sakorat's underlings have been expanding his fortifications, and he has used the power of Tunli to pull earth from the ground and shape it into walls. We still prepare and enjoy the days we have.

Tomorrow could always be our last in this world.

End of Session Twenty-Four

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
4th of the Seventh

Zuridah spends most of her time sorting out the library, picking books from the swamp fort or finding new ones in Whistlesprings and beyond. According to Sakorat, apart from her daily walks she spends nowhere near the time she used to with the creature who is now Syndia, once a proud son of Horse. A group of tain came to talk to her a couple of weeks ago. Their tribe, the Manlef, hunt a way to lift the curse of the tain. Zuridah was of little help to them, I suspect.

Lukkar has been busier of late. He has been placed in charge of a section of the Redroad Trading Coster. Merchants with far more to them. We raided one of their caravans when I was with the Eastcastle forces. Not people to take lightly. The other goblin, if you can call her that, has grown wild. She spends most of her time with her large wolves and trained dog, or inventing tales of seeing former lives. Sometimes a pech, or a salamander, another time from the Northlands.

Ijiru has been keeping to himself. He sometimes carts around a large mirror, worth a small pile of gold. Still have to be careful around that one. Always do around his sort.

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
23rd of the Seventh Month

Shegall Harrowborn, the naiads personal guard before me, came to speak to some in the mansion. He now leads a small group of fanatics, intent on cleansing Highkeep of bandits and anyone else who opposes him. Others have declared him the Champion of Highkeep. I foresee a short future, ended on some warrior's blade.

A cycuri came two days ago and spoke to Deng and Lukkar. I care not what their dealings were. Something to do with Irenke, a fallen cycuri who adventured with the Valiant Blade long ago.

I grow restless. The spirit of my homeland calls for me. All mercenaries must end their time somewhen. Better an early glorious death or a life of plenty? Maybe Raven will give me guidance.

Last edited:

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
After this stage, the party are now

Ijiru, human male from Mejan, Rogue 1 / True Transmuter 5 / Assassin 1 / Arcane Trickster 4
Kapix, human male from Bukon, Necromancer 5 / Deathmaster 6
Lukkar, goblin male from the Deeps, Scout 10 / Falcon Totem Warrior 1
Sakorat, naiad male brought up among humans from Bukon, Cleric 11 of Tunli and the Lord of the Green Claw
Sydnia the reborn, reincarnated goblin, Ranger 4 / Packlord 7
Zuridah, daughter of Ismah, tain female of the Hydra Beastclan, Tain Paragon 3 / Fighter 8

with one NPC:

Melof, son of Talek, human male of the Tiger Beastclan, Barbarian 9

Last edited:

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Earthday, 18th of Eigthmonth

The road calls to us once more. We make prepartions even now.

Marchelleus SouthWatch, brother of the current Lord SouthWatch, asked to hire the Company of the Valiant Blade. Avivah SunPass, bride to be of one of his family, has gone missing as she head north. They have offered us land and thrall rights if we can find her for them. Tomorow we leave for Southwatch

Ijiru conjured up an image of the girl we look for in his mirror. She sat in a tent, reading a book. She is radiantly beautiful, moreso than any other I have seen. Several others saw her at the ball in Southwatch a couple of months ago. They say she has grown in beauty in some manner.

19th of the Eighth

Ijiru could not conjure up the image of the girl in the mirror today. The magic is not always reliable. A massive spider has spun a web across the road to Southwatch, but Ijiru burnt it down with spears of fire. He has grown much in power and confidence, as if he was possessed by Tiger himself

21st

We reached Southwatch today. Ijiru managed to view Avivah once more yesterday, as she took a meal in the same tent. We have no idea where she is, although others thought roots on her plate were gathered from nearby hills.

The SouthWatch Family confirmed our contract. Our quarry was last seen in her coach at Greenbarrows to the north, over a week ago. Tomorrow he head out to find if any other traces remain.

Most of our dealings were with Abbon Longstep, a priest who has served the SouthWatch family for years. He has managed to contact Avivah through prayers to the Immortals. She is safe and happy, remembering nothing of her capture. She intends to be the mortal queen at the Festival of Three Queens, held in Queensmeet at the end of the Ninthmonth. We have until then to find her. Abbon can no longer contact her, as she has stopped replying to his magics.

22nd of the Eighth

Lukkar had a warning this morning from his friends inteh city, telling him someone had been searching for us in the city. We soon found out a few miles north of Southwatch, when a lone, armoured pech demanded that we give up Ijiru. He claimed to be a magistrate of the Order of the Silent Stone. Not being in Mejan, we refused and the friends of the pech showed themselves.

A massive panther of steel tore down on us from behind rocks, grabbing hold of Ijiru, while another armoured pech appeared out of stone, calling the strength of Earth Powers to himself. Zuridah and myself, along with the Cursed One's giant wolves, set about the panther, freeing the wizard and eventually hacking the legs off of the thing. We all suffered rents and slashes from the creature. Lukkar and the Cursed One fought the pech, bouyed by the magic of the naiad.

Sakorat summoned a wall of blades which smote down one of the pech, and the second attempted to surrender. It had to settle for single combat with the Cursed One, although Zuridah attempted to intervene and Sakorat interfered with aid from the Immortals. In the end it was overcome, crumbling to stone.

Once we picked their bodies apart, we continued on our journey towards Shieldhold

22nd, Evening

The Cursed One found tracks just north of Shieldhold. The coach had been directed off of the road and the guards slain, thier bodies left among the trees. There were signs of humans and some sort of giant humanoid among the attackers. Thier tracks disappeared a short way away from the attack. The coach went on its way again, up toward Greenbarrows.

The others think that Avivah was taken away here, and fake guards put on the coach to Greenbarrows, muddying the picture. We have taken the head of one of the guards, to speak with its spirit should we return to Southwatch.

Earthday the 23rd

Sakorat has started to ask the Lord of the Green Claw for guidance. We suspect Avivah to be in the hills west of Greenbarrows, or in the Harrowmoor to the south. We should reach Greenbarrows by dusk.

Waterday the 24th

Twenty five years ago to the day I was born into this world. The southerners do not mark the day of their birth, but among my people it is important. This is my spirit day, when I speak little to others and think on my family, my life journey and that of the Tiger Beastclan. It would be good to see Nadelek, Tecca and Kuet again, as well as little Wuencen and Talek. I wonder what they would make of the Monkey Beastclan, now far from their homeland and mixed in the affairs of the southerners. I imagine little good would be said.

The others hunt for tracks along the northern road and speak to the villagers of Greenbarrows. But we will find nothing here. Avivah is long gone and we chase after Spider's shadow.

Otherday

Sakorat thinks the Lord of the Green Claw has granted him guidance. Avivah lies to the south. Our travel today has brought us back through Greenbarrows. The searching gnaws away at the others, and they grow tired of the hunt.

Evening of the 25th

Lukkar has shown his cunning! Ijiru's mirror has shown little more of Avivah, never leaving her tent. But it did show servants and a guard. At the goblin's suggestion we followed one of the servants with the mirror, showing more of the camp.

3rd of Ninthmonth

Much has happened since I last wrote.

Yesterday we returned to Southwatch and our employers found a priest of the Pack who spoke to the spirit of one of the guards. He told of humans and an ape among the attackers of the coach. The giant is some sort of earth spirit, of which I know little.

Through the mirror we managed to see the base of a tower, within which we saw this giant earth creature, well-dressed in dark brown skin and short horns and some sort of flail. From rumours in the city we managed to match up the camp with some sort of structure being built.

It appears the Cult of the Monkey God is behind this. Why they would want to steal the woman no-one is sure. But now we head to the Harrowmoor, with a shaman of Dog who can help our hunt on the Realm of Spirits. Tonight we should reach Whisltebridge.

Rosen, daughter of Kew of the Dog Beastclan, is a plain woman of middle years, a mercenary like myself. Capable of summoning wind and stone, fire and sea, I have no quarrel with her.

5th of Ninthmonth

Yesterday we reached Harrowcross and began to follow the Harrow up into the Harrowmoor. Today we should reach the hills and Rosen can begin her search for our quarry.

Midday of the 5th

A day to remember.

Two giant flying apes accompanied a green monkey, which claimed to be the Monkey God. The others seemed surprised, for they had never met this creature before, or heard of it being found outside of the Forest of the Apes. It demanded that we drop our current journey and travel to Darkgrove where we would be showered with gifts.

After considering the offer, involving a journey weeks away from the Harrowmoor, we declined and the Monkey God departed, leaving one giant flying ape watching us. Known as the Children of Yavu, Lukkar has seen them before.

It followed us a short while, summoning a storm of sleet and wind with its power. Apparently we had angered the Monkey God. An air spirit attacked us as we were enveloped in the storm. Zuridah and I stood strong as Lukkar fled the scene on his dog, the Cursed One entering battle along with her beasts. Ijiru pulled out a rope and left the Realm of Mortals, seeking sanctuary elsewhere.

The air spirit was quickly brought down as the child threw more enchantments at us. The wolves, the Cursed One and Zuridah were struck down by a malady, rushing around the area, fighting one-another and ranting into the storm. I stood guard beside Sakorat as he battled the flying ape alone, matching his magic against its. The naiad traded the prayers and blade of Tunli with its lightnings and mace blows, proving the stronger. In the end it fled into the storm, evading our wrath.

We gathered up the others, relatively unharmed, and now seek our quarry in the Harrowmoor.

End of Session Twenty-Five

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Evening of the 5th

Now we sit in a cave on the Harrowmoor, hiding away from the rest of the world.

In the Harrowmoor Rosen walked the spirit world, looking for signs of powerful magical beings and signs of mortal construction. Her main finding was up the river we followed, where buildings and supernatural beings were waiting.

As we made our way through the moor, guided by Lukkar, a winged creature of stone caught sight of us. It fled soon after, back towards the buildings we sought. Soon after Ijiru caught sight of a tower of stone in the distance, partially hidden between several hills. We decided to rest out of sight, in a cavern found for us by the tain.

Ijiru make a solitary journey to the tower, finding a several structures and tents in a walled enclosure, guarded by several gargoyles. A large four-armed ape made of iron watched the base of the tower, and human guards were seen in the enclosure. He suspects Avivah is in one of the tents, but for now we wait.

Airday, 6th of Ninthmonth, 1534 ER

The others have spent most of the day laying plans, but have few good ideas. They would never make warleaders or mercenary captains. The tain left the caves driven to wander a short way by the Doom of her kind. She reported sighting a gargoyle in the sky, watching from afar. Ijiru plans to scout again at night, shielded from prying eyes by his magics.

Rosen walked the spirit world, but found nothing of use to us. I would prefer a shaman of Tiger to one of Dog. But one is harder to find than the other.

Night of the 6th

There are more sentries than we thought before. Many gargoyles, lead by a larger one and several armoured in chain. A drake of some sort guards at night, and Ijiru caught sight of a second giant iron ape.

He did manage to locate Avivah in one of the tents, setting off an alarm at the same time. The gargoyles rushing around did not concern him, but their master did. The giant earth genie tried to find him with spells, and our scout fled.

We have now moved a short way to a new cave, and lay plans for the next day

7th of the Ninth

We are returning to Southwatch for aid. Sakorat contacted Abbon Longstep, wanting scrolls of power to help with our rescue. We are to meet them at Queensmeet tomorrow. They want the bride to be back as soon as we can manage. Sakorat has yet to explain his plan to me.

Gargoyles have been sent after us, leading an ape of iron. We lie in wait now, hoping to weaken our foes.

Midday of the Seventh

The battle was swift and brutal. None of our foes escaped.

The drake joined them, a creature from the Deeps, known as a smoke drake to Ijiru. Rosen merged with the stone before battle began, as she had never agreed to aid our fights. Sakorat granted us the full strengths of his magics as are foes advanced, gargoyles, iron ape and drake. They were not needed in truth. The drake covered us in a boiling mass of smoke, the only casualty being Lukkar's dog and the horses I had tied.

The ape charged in first, only to be brought down by Lukkar's arrows, Ijiru's fire and the tain's axe. The drake proved little more of trouble, flying through a wall of blades, then stunned by the wrath of the naiad's patrons and cut down by Zuridah. Other gargoyles fell to Lukkar's arrows and one wrestled briefly with him. When I slew their last leader, a chain-armoured of their race, they attempted to flee. But none escaped our arrows, blades and spells.

Our enemies beware, the Company of the Valiant Blade.

Evening of the 7th

Our day ended at Queensmeet, a small village where they base the Festival of Three Queens at summer and winter solstice. Even now a few people get ready.

We heard tales of this coming festival, where three women represent mortals, the forest fey and the night fey. This year they say the most beautiful are gathering. Someone has been spreading the rumours of Avivah. Why the Monkey Cult took her is a mystery.

8th of the Ninth

Sakorat sent a message to Avivah this morning, telling her we were on our way. She sent a message back and she is still in the enclosure. We tried to view her in Ijiru's mirror but kept getting the same image. Our wizard suspects some ward is being used to protect her from sight.

A group of Southwatch guardsmen came in with our scrolls of power, and wished us the best as we headed back out on are rescue attempt.

Waterday, the 9th

We camped on the edge of the Harrowmoor last night, and today reached the tower once more, resting in another cave. I begin to feel like Bat, spending so much of my time in the dark.

Now we wait for night-time, to rescue Avivah.

Night?, the 9th?

Soon after dusk we crept close to the enclosure, watching the torches of our prey. Ijiru and the naiad summoned their magics, and it began.

Ijiru flew into the night, cloaked in darkness and silenced by the Immortals. A few minutes later we saw signs of his presence, massive black tentacles breaking out havoc in the tent. Soon he returned with Avivah, managing to find her among the tents. He overcame two pech guards, and there were no wards strong enough to stop him.

The naiad unleashed a scroll of power, sundering the ground of our foes, collapsing their buildings and tearing apart the earth. We watched the havoc for a short while, then joined hands and fled to another realm.

For now we are somewhere else. I can see dull grey all around and little else. No lights, just a grey miasma. The ground is a dull brown and there is no scent here. This is the Realm of Order, according to Sakorat. He only had enough power to bring us here. To escape we must wait for the Immortals to answer his prayers. Let them answer it soon, for I like not this place.

The woman, still not awake, appears to be the one we were after. The radiance has faded slightly from her features. The others are sure she had many thralls connected to her, and some were lost in the quake Sakorat summoned upon the enemy.

?, a few hours since my last entry

We need to leave here soon. Giant ant-creatures approached us, and were almost the end to us. We could not understand them, and they attempted to take control of us.
Zuridah was the first to fall under their sway, and I soon after. Avivah fell to one of the warriors, Ijiru masked himself with spells and Sakorat was soon surrounded. Desperate prayers to the Immortals entombed several of the ant-men and Zuridah in stone, while Ijiru and Lukkar located the one which possessed us.

It fell to fire and arrows soon after, freeing us from their servitude. The ant-creatures fled our righteous wrath, and the field of battle was ours once more. Not a safe place to be. Avivah was only stunned and prayers to the Immortals have set her to rights again.

Otherday, 10th of the Ninth

Our fortunes have improved, but only barely. With Sakarat's magic we returned to the Realm of Mortals. But such links are unstable and we were thrown from our intended place of Southwatch.

Now we our in forest, with trees as far as we can see. Zuridah and Lukkar recognise this as the Forest of the Apes, where they have spent much time in the past. For now we head north, with Avivah telling us constantly that she needs to be at the Festival of Three Queens.

Our first task is to stay alive. Our second is to find Southwatch. Our third is to return her to our employers. Anything else falls outside the bounds of our contract. Such is the life of the mercenary and the adventuring company.

12th of the Ninth

Lukkar has sighted hills to the west from the treetops. He is fairly sure of where we are, east of the Redcap Hills. North is still our destination. Night fey have sighted us, but they are wary of an enchanted helmet worn by the naiad. The unseelie fear it and Lukkar tells me they have used it for nearly two years to gain access to the Forest of the Apes unmolested.

Sakorat contacted the Southwatch family to tell of our successful rescue. They want her returned as soon as possible. She wants to get to the festival. I want to leave the forest.

17th of Ninthmonth

As the solstice grows nearer, we are still in the forest of the night fey. A cycuri shapeshifer accosted us today. He belonged to the Cult of the Monkey God, and wanted us to wait for him so we could hand over Avivah.

Sakorats silver tongue fooled him into believing we would hand her over. He flew off in eagle form and we pretended to stay for a short while, before heading north once more.

Waterday, 19th of Ninthmonth

Our journey draws nearer to an end. Now we are in the Blackstone Hills, west of Highkeep and Whistlesprings. They will meet us at Nightjewel Mansion. In the next few days we will cross what remains of Highkeep, avoiding the bandits and other creatures who haunt that cursed place.

Waterday, 24th of Ninthmonth

Despite one unsuccessful escape attempt by Avivah, desperate to get to the Festival, we have reached Whistlesprings and handed over our unearthly companion. Marchelleus met us himself, handing over the deeds to our new house and lands. One sure thing is that Avivah will not represent mortals at the Festival of Three Queens.
We have been granted rights to keep criminals and Mark them as thralls in the name of the SouthWatch Family. I dislike the idea of thralls. They would tie me to a place too much for my liking.

10th of Tenthmonth

We have heard news from the Festival of Three Queens. The Cult of the Monkey God lost much face, as Niabi, the queen for the unseelie, refused to be crowned when she heard Avivah did not represent the mortals. The Monkey God turned up, looking for the lady of the night fey.

It turns out they are ancient foes, and Peregrina had planned to break the curse Niabi had set on the Monkey God long ago. But the Monkey God's foe had fled before he turned up, with no Avivah to vie for the mortals.

The festival turned ugly from there, with the Monkey God spreading his wrath among those gathered. It was abandoned among apes and baboons, with many turned to stone by Peregrina's mad gaze.

The SouthWatch Family have outlawed the Cult of the Monkey God, and placed a bounty on their leader's head. The Monkey Beastclan talk of returning home to the Northlands, and the Monkey God's followers are in disarray. One of their number, Tabor, has met with the Company of the Valiant Blade, keen to come to some truce with Southwatch.

We rest, train, enjoy our time of peace once more. No-one knows for sure what waits across the next horizon.

End of Session Twenty-Six

Last edited:

Deng

First Post
Hey, I resent it being called a "rescue attempt"!! Ijiru did his part really well it was only Sakorat carrying just one Plane Shift that made it less than ideal!

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
As written by Shegall Harrowborn, Champion of Highkeep

Earthday, 18th of Twelfthmonth, 1534 ER

Kwaku has handed me the Journal of the Valiant Blade to keep for now. Sakorat and Melof have journeyed off to Whiteblade, where they are in talks with the Venturers of the Coin over some treaty or another. Since the naiad received the title of Warden of Whistlesprings, he has had many such offers.

It appears as if I am to have one final journey with the Company of the Valiant Blade. Tabor, the former leader of the Cult of the Monkey God, is attempting to make peace with the Southwatch Family.

As part of this agreement, the Company of the Valiant Blade have been approached to slay Peregrina Nightjewel, the medusa of the Monkey Cult who organised the kidnapping of Avivah SunPass. She is due to be at Whistlecross on New Year's Eve, and we would set an ambush then.

With Sakorat and Melof away and Sydnia and Ijiru on a journey in Sohal with Kwaku, the remainder of the Company now look to me for an extra blade. Although ambush is not my preferred method of attack, I will use it against one as dangerous as Peregrina. Lukkar's allies are also looking for a priest capable of strong magics. We may need such a one in a battle such as this.

Airday, 21st of Twelfthmonth, 1534 ER

We have met Jomo, a siv priest of the Lord of the Green Claw, and an ally of the Redroad Trading Coster which Lukkar belongs to. We have several days to debate tactics and find a good spot from which to fight.

Otherday, 25th of Twelthmonth, 1534

We hide now on the banks of the Whistle, waiting for Peregrina's coach to arrive. A massive girillon with red claws rides atop the black coach and several winged monkeys escort her.

Earlier this morning we reached Whistlecross, where most of my men now shelter. I left scouts on the trails into the village, and one of these alerted us of her approach.

Jomo has used most of his enchantments on us, to give us strength in battle and banish fear from our minds. Lukkar and Zuridah seem keen on a fight, and I ready to strike a blow against one partly responsible for the fall of Highkeep.

May the Green grant us a victory this day.

Night

As Peregrina's coach grew close to the crossing, one of the winged apes caught sight of us and flew in for a closer look. The beast was a mutated form of the cloaked apes found in the Forest of the Apes, no doubt warped by experiments from Peregrina. Each carried a halberd in its claws and wore a strange hat.

It howled a warning to Peregrina and she summoned a giant elemental of earth, prepared for danger. Zuridah leapt to battle the creature while I defended Jomo from one of the winged apes. Lukkar crept up towards the coach, hidden among the long grass.

Lukkar's dog was not so lucky, torn apart by the bloodclaw girillon in front of the cart. Peregrina's driver kept the reins ready, but no order to pull away came from his mistress. Lukkar appeared next to the coach, disrupting the medusa's magic with a well-placed arrow. Zuridah left the elemental to smash in the coach from the other side, turning Peregrina's attention and gaze to the tain. Jomo's attempts to banish the elemental failed. leaving myself to battle the creature alone.

Jomo's next prayer to the Lord of the Green Claw sank coach, horses and giant ape into a mass of mud, the goblin and tain protected by another of the siv's enchantments. Lukkar was forced back from the mud and coach by the girillon, covered in blood and mud, showering Peregrina before he left the battle. Zuridah tore through the door on the side away from the goblin, forcing an injured medusa out of the other side of the coach. It was here that Jomo caught her in a column of fire, and she was no more.

The elemental of earth proving too strong a foe for myself, I withdrew to the siv who closed up my wounds with a single prayer. As the apes went berserk and flew away, Zuridah grabbed the muddy remains of the medusa and away we fled. Lukkar injured the bloodclaw with more arrows before it fled off into the night.

With apes and girillon gone, and the elemental returned to it's home plane, we returned to find the driver had fled with whatever he could carry. We took what we could from the ruined coach and made our way back to the village, to celebrate our victory.

Fireday, 2nd of Firstmonth, 1535 ER

Tabor and the SouthWatch family are happy, we have been rewarded and the region is at relative peace again. I have gathered a few more followers and intend to make Highkeep a more secure area. Night fey beware my blade.

Kwaku has asked me to accompany him on a journey to the Northlands. He hopes to find the last few members of his Council of the Pack, notably Mammoth and Wurm. I wish him luck but I have duties here. I know that several of the others intend to accompany him, most notably Zuridah, Sydnia and Melof.

It seems as if the Company of the Valiant Blade have adventured their last. Sakorat appears to be caught up in his duties as Warden of Whistlespring, Lukkar is heavily involved with the Redroad Trading Coster and creating a family with Tolya. Deng looks after the mansion and Ijiru has disappeared away.

I am leaving this journal in the library of Nightjewel Mansion, where others can read of a successful adventuring band. Although many fell along the way, and for some the danger proved not worth the reward, several made it to fame, wealth and glory.

May the Green Bless them all.

Shegall Harrowborn, Champion of Highkeep and Protector of the Green.

End of Session Twenty-Seven

End of Campaign

Last edited:

Remove ads