Legend of the Monkey Mage - The End (Final Update, 26 Jun 06)

PieAndDragon

Duncan T
Addendum

Fireday, 2nd of Fourthmonth, 1550 ER

Years have passed since I last wrote in this journal. I grow older now, and joints ache more, my reflexes slow and I begin to look to the future.

I have returned from the Northlands within the last month, where several of the Tower of the Guardian Flame joined the gathered beastclans and Bringers of Ultimate Peace in battle with the Death's Crow and their allies.

We won the day at the Battle of Rat's River, the tide turned by the Monkey Beastclan. From their we destroyed the Roost of the Crow in the Greyghost Peaks and hunted the remnants through the Northlands and beyond.

The Death's Crow are no more. The Immortals have spoken. None stand on this side of the Bitter Ocean.

With my return I now bring my attention to Highkeep. It is still a wild and dangerous place. Metabus Highkeep barely clings to his sanity in Blackhall and Lady Fulvia Highkeep rules in Exile from Whiteblade. Each spring we beat back patrols from the Bukonnish in Eastwatch and one day we expect a full-scale invasion from them. At least we no longer have to watch for the Tyrant of Eastcastle, betrayed and killed by one of his sons as he looked to defeat Whiteblade at siege.

The Tower of the Guardian Flame have built a base in Highkeep, which I now command and work from. Khun-Sa visits occasionally and new recruits train here every year. In the last fifteen years I have kept track of my former companions in the Company of the Valiant Blade, and it is to these I devote the final entries in the journal.

Kwaku is alive and well in Nightjewel Mansion. The one who passed on the journal to me managed to collect the full complement of the Pack, with an allied shaman acting as a consort to Zombie. Beastclansmen and others come from far away to ask for the advice of the Council of the Pack and it's head oracle. The siv has grown far wiser in recent years, showing a level of shrewdness I would never have imagined possible when first we met. He finds no problems in replacing dead members of the Pack. I wish him luck in future years.

Lukkar, the only member of the Company to serve from the beginning to the end, also prospers. He has grown the Redroad Trading Coster operation in Whistlesprings, sending regular caravans through Highkeep and untaxed back roads to Bukon and Eastcastle. I have lost count of the number of his children, as he and Tolya grow their clan. They have taken in many fosterlings and it is rumoured they have access to tunnels and caverns below their mansion. The goblin sold his share of Nightjewel Mansion to Deng and Kwaku, building his own house on the eastern side of Whistlesprings. A few months ago his first grandchild was born. He is happy in retirement and much respected in the area. It is rumoured that he will head the Redroad Trading Coster in Southwatch when Mehi departs.

Deng lives with the Pack and Kwaku in Nightjewel Mansion, occasionally training warriors in his strange dancing battle style. He keeps himself to himself and is rarely seen by others. He talks of returning to his tribe in the Kethor Wastes one day, but I suspect that time is still far off. He appears to be content in luxury and peace.

Sakorat, the Warden of Whistlesprings, has grown rich. Allied with the Fellowship of the Golden Lord, the Venturers of the Coin and the SouthWatch family, he has taken advantage of his many contacts and wide fame. The former leader of the Valiant Blade has had songs and tales created around him. Acolytes of Tunli and the Lord of the Green Claw serve him, he has other homes in Southwatch, Whiteblade, Blackwatch and beyond. Few others meet his power in the area.

Wealthy maybe, but never one to be content.

Zuridah has chosen a unusual life for a warrior. She accompanied me to fight the Death's Crow in the Northlands, but then she is always on the road traveling. In addition to the library at Nightjewel Mansion, she has her own in Whistlesprings. Everywhere the tain buys books, on almost every subject. A few have even been written by her. Some say she gathers knowledge to banish the curse of her race. Again, good luck to her if that is her endeavour.

Ijiru has not been seen by any since the rescue of Avivah SunPass. He was gone one morning and never returned.

But Lukkar's friends have had the occasional dealing with him. Ijiru is a part of one of the Tongs, family bands of killers and criminals from Mejan. Most are reaver, but occasionally talented individuals are fostered into their ranks. He serves them still, acting as a spy and assassin, performing dark deeds. He is one I hope never to meet again, and likely never will.

The unfortunate Sydnia wanders the Northlands, with her pack of large hawks and wolves, guiding others through the passes of Khorun and into the peaks of the Greyghosts. Few feel comfortable around the reborn one for long, and she is forever lonely, save for her beasts. She stood with us at the Battle of Rat's River and proved herself there. The Monkey Beastclan welcome her and she visits them regularly.

She will journey for the rest of her days, much as the tain do. The visions drive her on, and she often relives battles or events from ages past. Her soul will never find peace again. When it departs her body this time, her path is at an end.

Kapix was never seen again by us. When we found out he was a member of the Death's Crow, we severed all ties. I hunted for him in Highkeep, but he has escaped to lands unknown. I wish him a painful death, as befits those who deal with the unliving.

Melof was another who fought at the Battle of Rat's River. It was also there he made his last stand, taken down by bone fiends as he lead a charge of Tiger beserkers. His years since the Valiant Blade were spent among the Tiger, and five children will remember him with pride. His blade has passed from father to son, and when Madernus comes of age, he is due to join our recruits at the Tower of the Guardian Flame.

He lived his life to the full, and died a warrior. Few can ask for more in this world.

The Cult of the Monkey God bides its time. The SouthWatch family tore down one tower, but the others still stand. They continue their eternal feud with Niabi and search for a way to free the Monkey God from his magical bindings and ancient curse. As long as they keep their dealings south of the Harrow, we have no arguments. To my knowledge Tabor is still their leader, although challenges to his power frequently emerge.

Torith's Beacon has been fortified by the siv and overseen by a brotherhood of shaman. Strange beasts are often sighted near it and sane people keep well away. The sage Demetrious never did return, his exilir made to extinguish the Black Flame in a cellar somewhere in Blackwatch.

Lavrin Greymantle still keeps to Highkeep Forest, protecting her tribe of greenback apes and staying distant from the rest of the world. Occasionally others try to collect the bounty still valid from the Venturers of the Coin, but none have yet succeeded. I would hunt her down myself, but do not have the strength for a full foray into a stronghold of the night fey.

The Southwatch Family have grown strong once more, allied to the Whiteblades. There is talk of finding a king for Sohal once more, but it is likely to come to naught. The city-states are too divided, with the Red Conclave too strong and the coastal cities under pressure from reaver raiders and envoys from the Empire of Sardleg.

We have had our impact on this world, with the Company of the Valiant Blade more successful than many. It is time for copies of this journal to be made and distributed among those who still live.

May many read these writings and help recount the adventurers of the Company of the Valiant Blade. May others be inspired and find adventures of their own.

Final entry by Shegall Harrowborn, Champion of Highkeep.

Last edited:

DeGlove

First Post
Hehehe :)

Kwaku sounds like he managed to get what he wanted, along with a number of the rest of the party, even though dark clouds hang over the (eastern) horizion.

A fitting epilogue for a fine campaign ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads