Leif's 1E AD&D Game OOC

Helfdan

First Post
Girion Valtar

The mail-clad human nods at the dwarf. "Well met, Master Gorash. Name's Girion." He puffs on his pipe. "West of here is the Duchy, my homeland. "Are you speaking of the Cairn Hills?"

Leif

Adventurer
[sblock=Strahd_Von_Zarovich ONLY]Actually, as Gorash heard the story, the hills in question are not really proper hills at all, but, rather, broken-up ground in the area of Rift Canyon to the northwest, and the slopes of the canyon itself. But Gorash has also heard that the Cairn Hills to the west, on the shores of the Nyr Dyv, are also rife with caves, caverns, and adventure.[/sblock]

No, No, Master Girion. You are reffereing to the cairn hills, the ones north from the cursed Abor-Alz and around the free city of Greyhawk. When I traveled from my home land in the Lortmils with my past master we traveled aling the Nyr Dyv to your homeland, the Duchy.

Gorash says as he spits part of eaten sausage on the table. He swallows the chunk and drain his mug and continue.

The ones I refer to are not really proper hills at all. they are merely broken-up ground in the area of the damned land known as the Rift Canyon to the northwest, and the slopes of the canyon itself.

Gorash motions the wench to bring him a jug of fresh water to clean his throat and mind.

I heard from the wisdom of my former master and merchants that came to us from the lands north of Radigast city that in ages past the cave warrens were used as safe retreats for the people during the Suloise-Baklunish War. Since then, the caves have stood abandoned. Some were converted to burial grounds, while others were occupied by savage humanoids.

The warrior nods to the wench as she bring the jug of water and offer the others as well. He Take a swig and says.

Sound to me like an interesting place to gather lost treasures ... thought my plan was to travel south to Nyrond but things can change.
But the place you are speaking of can be interesting as well, and we can do it more by travelling on the borders of the mistmarsh.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Straining to conceal his disapproval at the dwarf's rather...lax...table manners, Ellydd finally engages the table's latest addition, "I am struck, Master Greybeard, by the question as to why you would expect some caves used by war refugees and savages would contain treasures of any sort. Is there some additional information you may have neglected to share?

"For myself, I will say here and now, I will not entertain the prospect of desecrating resting places of the departed."
Ellydd snorts derisively. "Ehlonna forfend the very thought." Ellydd finishes, casually passing his hand over his silver unicorn engraved holy symbol.

Oh, by no means I'm saying that we should disrupt the deads and rob the graves.

Gorash says to the religious man he is unfamiliar with his name

Stories say that Bandits and savages cleared the cairns and burial grounds of any value. Foul humanoids and people who will stab you in the back without a second thought inhabit the caves.

But there are rumors of unexplored caves that hold the dead who have rise from their tombs to haunt the living and caves that lead further to the underworld to places that even dwarves are not brave enough to descent.
These places hold wealth and fortune behind your dreams, Aye, that is what tales are being told to sneaky kids before they go to bed and around the dining tables of elders.

I'm willing to offer my dignity, friendship, blade and courage for an equal share of the treasure.

Last edited:

Helfdan

First Post
Leif's "County of Urnst" Greyhawk Gamma Game [AD&D 1E] [ IC 01]

Girion looks up with interest from emptying his pipe. "Humanoids, you say? I for one would join you in ridding these lands of a few of those murdering pests!"

Although the young warrior speaks in a relaxed, casual tone, his green eyes burn with determination at the prospect of facing such foes.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"True that to diminish the monstrous races and bring peace to Ehlonna's wilds would be a worthy cause..." Ellydd ponders, seemingly speaking to himself more than anyone at the table. His right eyebrow rises slightly at the thought of the sacrilege of evil creatures abandoning their graves, "...and, if such tales can be believed, any creatures of the risen undead would be an affront to all things holy and natural..."

After a moment more of silent consideration, Ellydd again speaks.

"Should my presumed meeting not arrive shortly, you may have my sword-arm and the grace of my lady to aid this endeavor. I can see no reason the will of my goddess would object to so goodly a hunt."

howandwhy99

Adventurer
A middle-age elf, male with some gray in his long hair, strides into the bar. He glances around, spots Ellydd and walks over directly.

As he moves you get a better picture of him. He wears old, yet well polished and ornamented splint steel armor. A small steel shield hangs on his back, dwarven-made for those who recognize such things. It covers a leather sewn backpack. Another sewn sack hangs by a cord at his side, a waterskin of the make a hunter might use. On his waist is a long sword in its scabbard. He is dusty, yet otherwise clean. Trees and leaves are carved into his armor and actual live leaves adorn his leather satchels.

The whole look of him says this is a creature not unknown to the ways of civilization, but one who spends most of his time away from it.

He doesn't sit down, but starts talking briskly to Ellydd in quiet tones, so only those at the table might hear.

"We are well met Arswydion, but not for long if we do not leave hastily. There's a nasty rumor going around that an elf in armor freed a prisoner from those wooden "stocks" in the open square. It would be just my luck that they'll try and pin it on me. I had to duck back and forth behind the houses just to reach here. I don't know what you have in mind to tell me, but it's time we hit the open road."

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"Hail and well met, Rosco. I had begun to falter in hope of your arrival." Ellydd rises to grip the elf's forearm and smiles broadly. The smile is quickly wiped clean as he listens to Rosco's telling of recent events.

"A distressing coincidence to be sure." Ellydd scowls. "But Elenestra be praised that you found your way."

Ellydd rises, collects his pack and slings quiver and unicorn emblazoned shield over his left shoulder. "Gentlemen...if you'd care to undertake that journey you were discussing, now would appear to be the time.

"May I present Masters Theron Greywand
(indicating the robed human), Gorash Greybeard (indicating the loudly munching and slurping dwarf) and Girion...Valkar, was it? (indicating the ranger). This is my associate Rosco...ehm..." Ellydd looks to the elf with a slight tilt of his head, "Well, just Rosco.

"Let us find somewhere less...uh...'tenuous' to further discuss our journey. I passed through a rather nice glade on my way here, not a full league outside of town, to the west. Shall we?"

Helfdan

First Post
Girion Valtar

Girion stands, and also offers a handshake to Rosco. "Actually, it's Valtar," he says with a grin, then turns thoughtful. "I wonder what that recently released man did to earn a day in the stocks..."

Remove ads