• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

Leif

Adventurer
Let's see, we have howandwhy99, wolfattack, steeldragons, and Mallus. Let's give it another day or three and see if we have any other interest. Did I forget anyone?

What characters do you guys want to play? Note that if we do it by the book, clerics, fighters, magic-users, and thieves will be available to almost any character. Sub-classes and monks have more stringent abiilty score requirements. The idea was for those classes to be as rare as the superior ability scores are.

Last edited:

wolfattack

First Post
Sorry for my absence, but i was only able to reply today.

I'm still interested in the game. i'll roll the 5 sets as described. i looking forward to play with a Human Magic-User/Psionic character if i can fill the requirements.

Here are my results:

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/31967---> STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 6, WIS 14, CHA 10

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/31969---> STR 13, DEX 12, CON 15, INT 16, WIS 14, CHA 14

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/31969---> STR 10, DEX 14, CON 15, INT 17, WIS 15, CHA 12

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/31970---> STR 12, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 6, WIS 5, CHA 10

http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/31971---> STR 12, DEX 8, CON 11, INT 12, WIS 9, CHA 13

So, i'll take the 3rd set (http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/31969/).

How are you going to handle psionics? i need to roll the percentile dice if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Sorry, I don't generally allow psionics, and, anyway, I don't believe that any of the sets of stats you rolled have numbers high enough to qualify under 1E AD&D rules, or maybe the set you chose might barely qualify.

Ok, just checked -- you actually have a 3.5% chance to have psionics. [1% standard chance + 2.5% for 1 pt. of Int. over 16] I'll give you one roll for it -- if you make a percentile roll of 96 or higher there'll be a good chance you have them. If you roll exactly 96, then you'll have to also score 51%+ on a second roll to allow for the half-percent chance. To keep you honest, when you make the roll on invisible castle, use the following EXACTLY in the description of the roll: "is my M-U psionic". [And if you need a second roll use this EXACTLY: "Baby needs new shoes"] Any discrepancy in the description will invalidate the roll, no exceptions.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
STR: 14 DEX: 11 CON: 8 INT: 11 WIS: 15 CHA: 15

That looks like a charismatic Fighter or Cleric. I'll be an Elf and multiclass as Ftr1/Clr1 and then start as a Fighter. Name of Rosco.

I don't think steeldragons has the Con for a Ranger with that last roll. It's a hard class to qualify for, but you could do point buy out of the primary three scores, if that's allowed. If you do 2 to 1 out of Strength or Wisdom, you could get a 14 Constitution qualifying to be a Ranger.
Actually, in 1E AD&D, only npc Elves can be clerics. a Half-Elf would meet your requirements, though. Elves also do not get a psionics roll. Half-elves and Halflings are mentioned as possibly having psioics at DM discretion. I'll allow this.

This Half-Elf also has a chance for psionics, but it's only a 1% chance: on d% he only has psionics on a roll of 100.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Leif's AD&D 1E 'Gamma' Game

I just noticed that if I continue naming my AD&D games by the same convention, this next one will be Gamma. That makes me wonder whether we should possibly incorporate elements of Gamma World into the game? If we did, I'd house-rule all of those elements and technology would not be readily accessible but would have to be discovered like magic items, which they would effectively be. This might be too freakish for those who already intend to play, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, at least. I've never tried anything like this before, but I do have quite a bit of Gamma World experience from back in the 1980's, and it could be quite fun if the players are open-minded. :cool:

And actually, if we have 1 or more psionic characters, this would play right into the possible Gamma World theme of the game, too!

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Actually, in 1E AD&D, only npc Elves can be clerics. a Half-Elf would meet your requirements, though. Elves also do not get a psionics roll. Half-elves and Halflings are mentioned as possibly having psioics at DM discretion. I'll allow this.

This Half-Elf also has a chance for psionics, but it's only a 1% chance: on d% he only has psionics on a roll of 100.
I had a different conception about playing multiple classes. I guess AD&D understands them to be concurrent. Anyhow, I'll stick with the Elf Fighter which probably doesn't qualify for a psionics roll. (I thought the minimum was a prime req of 16?)

wolfattack

First Post
I just noticed that if I continue naming my AD&D games by the same convention, this next one will be Gamma. That makes me wonder whether we should possibly incorporate elements of Gamma World into the game? If we did, I'd house-rule all of those elements and technology would not be readily accessible but would have to be discovered like magic items, which they would effectively be. This might be too freakish for those who already intend to play, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, at least. I've never tried anything like this before, but I do have quite a bit of Gamma World experience from back in the 1980's, and it could be quite fun if the players are open-minded. :cool:

And actually, if we have 1 or more psionic characters, this would play right into the possible Gamma World theme of the game, too!

I would like to stick with the standard AD&D fantasy setting (Forgotten Realms as the setting if possible), at least for this game. it will be my first experience playing with the 1st edition and besides that Gamma World was never published in my country so i don't know much about the setting besides a few lines that i read on the internet and specialized magazines. but if you wish to GM a post apocalyptic setting in the future, something like the Fallout games for PC and XBox 360, i would love to join if the system is GURPS (i don't own D20 modern :()!
Honestly speaking, the first edition of AD&D was never published here either, but i managed to buy all the three premium reprints books on Amazon last year.

About the naming, i'm ok with Gamma. and here is my roll for psionics:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3862614/

ARRRRGH!! d@mn! so close! :rant:

Well, what can you do. its just a matter of luck i guess. :erm:

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Gamma :(

Ok, no Gamma World, but no Forgotten Realms, either. The setting will be the first classic setting for AD&D -- The World of Greyhawk.

Tough break on the psionics roll. Tch! That's gotta hurt.

Leif

Adventurer
I had a different conception about playing multiple classes. I guess AD&D understands them to be concurrent. Anyhow, I'll stick with the Elf Fighter which probably doesn't qualify for a psionics roll. (I thought the minimum was a prime req of 16?)

Prime Requisite has nothing to do with psionics, at least not the prime req. for any class. The requirement is that a character have ONE OR MORE relevant stats (Int, Wis, cha) of at least 16.

You're roll of 65 is not going to cut it, regardless.

Last edited:

Remove ads