• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

DM_Wannabe

First Post
OK...got the 10 posts in now...hopefully this works...

How's the group looking so far? From what I can tell you've got 4 players. Is there room for 1 more?

If you're still looking for another PC, I made some rolls...

STR 15, DEX 13, CON 8, INT 7, WIS 8, CHA 9

STR 16, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 11, WIS 11, CHA 9

STR 14, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 10

STR 8, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 6, WIS 11, CHA 11

STR 9, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 15, WIS 13, CHA 7

That last roll qualifies for an illusionist. If you want another player, I'd like to play a Human Illusionist named Theron.

Are the PCs starting out at 1st level?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
The Party

So that's:

1. howandwhy99 elf fighter
2. Wolfattack human magic-user
3. Mallus dwarf fighter/thief or elf magic-user thief
4. steeldragons fighter/cleric or ranger
and
5. DM_Wannabe human illusionist -- Theron

steeldragons may have just signed up as a favor to me, however, so if he would rather not play we can get by without him. But if he wishes to continue, he's certainly welcome.

So we don't know steeldragons's or Mallus's final choice of class or race. And, someone may want to change a race or class choice, now that the contours of the entire group are becoming apparent. The glaring holes are for a thief and a cleric (which may be filled by sd). Hmm, so far, we possibly have two human magicians and two elves. This makes me think that the focus of the game may be magically or faerie oriented.

To answer the recent question, starting level will be first.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
This was my first attempt at rolling.

STR 9, DEX 18, CON 17, INT 15, WIS 9, CHA 11

I believe it's the best first set of scores I've ever gotten in 25+ years of play!

So I'm either going to leave them as is and play a female elven MU-THF (to fit right in) or rearrange them to STR 18 (1d100=48), DEX 17, CON 16, INT 9, WIS 9, CHA 10 and run a male dwarven FTR/THF (because every group of elves and magicians needs a dwarf for comedy, ax work, and trap-finding). Names: Shar Chary for the elf, Oban Isla for the dwarf.

Does either sound more appropriate?

Also... Greyhawk with a bit of Gamma World sounds good -- not freakish at all, more like 'traditional' for AD&D.

edit: can an elven M-U/THF use a short bow? (it's UA that addes bows to the thief's list, isn't it??)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Well, so far, everyone has been taking stats as rolled in order. But, on the other hand, I am a BIG fan of comedy relief.

What does the rest of the group say?

Last edited:

wolfattack

First Post
Well, not trying to be the guy with the different opinion from everyone else, but i'm looking for a serious AD&D game. i'm ok with a bit of comedy and humor but not a whole campaign oriented in this way.

Also do we really need two Magic-Users? i think that we should fill the gaps in the party instead of a lot of characters with more or less the same powers.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
In my experience, parties with multiple casters (MUs and Clerics) is the norm for a "serious AD&D game." ;) I concur, I enjoy humor/comedy/when funny stuff happens (as it invariably does) in play, but not as a theme of the whole campaign.

Be that as it may, I definitely agree with the need to fill the holes...and in 1e that requires a [at least one] cleric.

So looks like another (though the only one, thus far, in this party) half-elf for me. Fighter/Cleric it is....name and details to come.
[MENTION=48762]Leif[/MENTION]: Shall I choose a deity from the standard Greyhawk pantheon (something nature/elfy oriented would seem to make sense)?

Also, for the record, I have no objections to anyone swapping stats for the character they desire.

DM_Wannabe

First Post
I think a dwarven ftr/thf would be a really cool character with some excellent role-playing opportunities. Actually, I think if you were looking for comic relief, a gnome would be a better fit. Dwarves tend to be a serious lot from my experience.

Personally, I'm fine with changing stats around. I did it on my rolls, I just did it before I saved them.

Oh...by the way, thanks for letting me play. ;)

Leif

Adventurer
[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] and all --

I Never said the whole campaign would be "humor-oriented," and didn't intend it, either.

If two players want magic-users, then we should have two magic-users. I do not subscribe to any pre-conceived notions of any "proper" composition of a party beyond a generalized need for some healing. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Wolfattack, but everyone should recognize it for what it is -- only his opinion. I will endeavor to adjust the challenges that the party faces to be appropriate for the composition and abilities of the party.

Greyhawk deities will be just fine. And if anyone wishes to know more about any of them, just google "Greyhawk deities," but all should be aware that any details found/read online may or may not apply to my game. That's anything beyond name and spheres of control.

And you're welcome, DM_Wannabe!

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Just to be clear... I'd like to give my character a sense of humor -- as is fitting for a dwarf working with elves and magic-users. But I'm not going to play a joke character.

What do we do for starting HP and money? Secondary skills? Are we using the aging modifiers in the DMG?

DM_Wannabe

First Post
Just to be clear... I'd like to give my character a sense of humor -- as is fitting for a dwarf working with elves and magic-users. But I'm not going to play a joke character.

What do we do for starting HP and money? Secondary skills? Are we using the aging modifiers in the DMG?

Are we only using the PHB and DMG for game mechanics? I'm pretty sure secondary skills was something that UA introduced.

Remove ads