• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Oooo. I like that, [MENTION=6704680]DM_Wannabe[/MENTION]. Sounds like a cool bg to start with...and now I get the sneaking uncomfortable encroaching paranoid feeling that I'm gonna be doing a loooot of "disbelieving" this campaign (good thing I has high Wisdom B-))....wait...Or is that feeling just an illusion too. :-S AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! lol.

But kudos for taking a neat idea and adapting it for your own guy.

Leif

Adventurer
Background Idea

I agree, [MENTION=6704680]DM_Wannabe[/MENTION], that's a great idea. How about if we add a twist to it -- when the Evil apprentice absconded, he stole a wand belonging to the master, so not only is he out there somewhere, he's armed with some formidable magic, too.

DM_Wannabe

First Post
I agree, @DM_Wannabe , that's a great idea. How about if we add a twist to it -- when the Evil apprentice absconded, he stole a wand belonging to the master, so not only is he out there somewhere, he's armed with some formidable magic, too.

I knew there was a reason I put this up on the thread. Thanks for the idea. That's a good one.

If anyone else has some suggestions for the storyline, feel free to help me make my character. hehehe

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I knew there was a reason I put this up on the thread. Thanks for the idea. That's a good one.

If anyone else has some suggestions for the storyline, feel free to help me make my character. hehehe

It's a classic antagonist and should be fun to bump into. Maybe their your twin brother (with appropriate goatee) that he can shave off to present himself as an "illusion" of you? :)

Gaming-wise I'm thinking he had to find another mentor after leaving the apprenticeship earlier. At least if he's to be a threat at 1st level.

wolfattack

First Post
Ok, so here is my character sheet, its obviously unfinished but i'll finish it until sunday:

Starting Gold: 40 G.P

Martin Ludoliv, Prestidigitator
Magic-User – Level 1
Human

STR 10 ( 1-2 Open Doors, 2% Bend Bars/Lift Gates)
INT 17 (6 Additional languages, 75% Chance to know listed spell, 8/14 Minimum/Maximum Spells per level )
WIS 15 (+1 Magical attack adjustment)
DEX 14
CON 15 (+1 HP, 91% System Shock Survival, 94% Resurrection Survival)
CHA 12 (5 Henchmen max)

Hit Points: 5
Armor Class: 10
Move:

Saving Throws
14 Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic
13 Petrification or Polymorph
11 Rod, Staff, or Wand
15 Breath Weapon
12 Spell

Languages: Common
Secondary Skill: TBD
Gold Pieces: 40

Equipment:
2 g.p – Dagger
More TBD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So @Leif , how you want me to roll the know spells of my character? do i need to roll it on invisible castle with the specific name of each spell until i reach the maximum number per level (14 on this case)?

Which languages i can choose at level 1?

Do we need to buy clothes?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Starting Spells for Magic-Users

We'll use the tables on P. 39 of the DMG, which gives each M-U one offensive, one defensive, and one miscellaneous spell, in addition to Read Magic. These spells are automatically understood by the PC. The spells gained during level advancement [1 per level] are also automatically known. The chance to understand spells only comes into play when a character encounters a new spell between levels. DON'T ROLL for the whole list ahead of time! Let's leave a little bit of uncertainty [fudge factor] in the process. Also, this will allow for the possibility that the PCs may create some new spells at some point.

I'll roll for Martin Ludoliv:
offensive; defensive; miscellaneous (1d10=3, 1d10=1, 1d10=6)

That means Martin's starting spells are:
Read Magic
Enlarge
Affect Normal Fires
Mending

DANG! That blows. You can know any languages you wish, within reason. [I doubt if any civilized person could hear enough of, say, Manticore to learn the language without becoming lunch.]

I'll roll for our other M-U's spells later. The two of you are free to exchange spells at will, and if you help each other, I won't make you roll your chance to know those spells, either.

Last edited:

DM_Wannabe

First Post
It's my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Illusionists learn their spells the same way that Magic-Users do (Illusionists being a sub-class of Magic-User and all).

Mallus

Legend
It's my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that Illusionists learn their spells the same way that Magic-Users do (Illusionists being a sub-class of Magic-User and all).
There's a chart for starting illusionist spells - but it's on pg. 80 of Unearthed Arcana.

Remove ads